Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is it possible to breathe through the head's back?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idleguy

India
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit idleguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is not a joke but a serious question.

Is it possible to breathe through the back of the head or something like that instead of through the nose in yoga/pranayam. The reason I'm asking this is that my uncle says that he was taught by a sadhu how to hold breath for upto 1 hour even underwater and that's how he learnt swimming back when he was young and claims to have swam across an entire lake just underwater without surfacing using this yogic/pranayam(?) or similar techniques.

With the world record for breath holding just under 9 minutes, do you think there is any yogasana or breathing/meditating technique that allows you to hold breath underwater or on land and one that allows to breathe using the body and not the nose?

This is very perplexing and I'm new to Yoga though my parents have some experience in doing yoga they are not sure about the 1 hour claim. In fact my ucnle even claims that subash chandra bose even held his breath for 36 hours underwater. Tall claims or based on reality? My guess is the former.

Pl. chip in.

Thanks.

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  6:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Idleguy,

quote:
This is not a joke but a serious question.

Is it possible to breathe through the back of the head or something like that instead of through the nose in yoga/pranayam. The reason I'm asking this is that my uncle says that he was taught by a sadhu how to hold breath for upto 1 hour even underwater and that's how he learnt swimming back when he was young and claims to have swam across an entire lake just underwater without surfacing using this yogic/pranayam(?) or similar techniques.

With the world record for breath holding just under 9 minutes, do you think there is any yogasana or breathing/meditating technique that allows you to hold breath underwater or on land and one that allows to breathe using the body and not the nose?

This is very perplexing and I'm new to Yoga though my parents have some experience in doing yoga they are not sure about the 1 hour claim. In fact my ucnle even claims that subash chandra bose even held his breath for 36 hours underwater. Tall claims or based on reality? My guess is the former.

Pl. chip in.

Thanks.

During a 10 day silent meditation retreat in November, I realized at one point that as I breathed through my nose, I was also breathing prana through my crown chakra. The prana came in as I breathed in, and went out (up) as I exhaled. I found this quite interesting, as I remember years ago reading something about Atlantis. The article said “in the days of Atlantis, people did not just breathe through their mouths and noses, but also through the tops of their heads”. Of course at the time I thought... “Yea right, that sounds really likely!"
And then... A few years later, and I can do it too!

I don’t know about swimming underwater, or holding your breath for ages, I guess that would depend on whether or not the human body can be kept alive for periods of time by prana alone (without oxygen, food, water etc.). There are many people (including famous spiritual teachers) saying it can and does happen, I guess if anyone is going to prove it, it could come from here.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  10:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some who are researching the Human Diving Response. They suggest that we, like the whales have an innate ability to stop the breath under certain conditions. I know that I have experienced a deep meditation where my breath stopped or so it appeared for hours at a time, but no scientific proof.

Jill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000