Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 seeking a book on pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  12:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to obtain a book of all the different pranayama practices. I know of the main basic ones, like alternate nostril, single nostril, breath of fire, ujayi, spinal, and a few others I cannot think of them names. I would just be interested in finding an authoratative book that have practices for things like when we get sick, etc...

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The best I've found is Light on Pranayama by BKS Iyengar. It details in the best way how to go about breathing practices...but keep in mind that pranayama doesn't exactly mean "breathing practices", it translates more accurately to "energy manipulation" and breathing practices which are usually recommended are just a means of manipulating the energy.

Another book, which is older, that details the things which specific breathing exercises cure is the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. A great book to go through every once in a while!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  8:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani's book "Spinal Breathing Pranayama" is the best book on the subject that I have read. It's clearly written, simple and effective. Details can be found here:

http://www.aypsite.org/books-sbp-contents.html
and ordered here on amazon.com if you want a physical copy:

http://www.amazon.com/Spinal-Breath...53141&sr=8-7

Reading the reviews will give you some good feedback.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  10:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
anrthem, I have read 6 of his books to date and I do like that spinal breathing book. I just would like a book that has multiple pranayama practices that fit a multitude of situations, for instance whne you get sick, ways of cleaning certain channels, etc...more so then the basic 6 to 8 pranayamas you can find on the web or in books. maybe I am not explaining well what I am seeking of the book I wish to obtain.
thanks scot for the suggestion
thanks
Seeker
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  7:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the problem is pranayama books usually translate into indies, yoga, or teachers of that area of art. so its like many things coming from one source. weres all the other ****?

besides, breathing practise=energy manipulation, if they tell you how to breath but not what not to manipulate with mind. i mean technique every breathing practise has a forwards and backwards flow. or some do. <
Go to Top of Page

Szu

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  07:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Szu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You find some interesting pranayama techniques in
Shri yogeshwaranand parmahansa book - First steps to Higher yoga.
Besides there is one book which seems to be very advanced. I don't it have yet but planning to buy: M.L. Gharote, Parimal Devnath - Kumbhaka Paddhati of Raghuvira.

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  3:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
If you are looking for pranayama for health I recommend you google Swami Ramdev who teaches exactly this.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  7:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tubeseeker,

Prana Pranayama Prana Vidya by Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati

It is from the Bihar School of Yoga and is very comprehensive. You can pick it up used on Amazon for about 8 bucks used.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your recomendations, I will be looking into getting a couple of the suggestions,
thanks
Seeker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000