Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Two options in Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  01:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I've got a question regarding Samyama.
I started doing Samyama a month ago and so far I have concluded that 2 repetition of sutras + 5 minutes on the lightness sutra is a bit too strong for me. I noticed that the following options work well for me:

Option 1: One repetition of sutras + 5 minutes of lightness sutra
Option 2: Two repetition of sutras + 2 minutes of lightness sutra

Now I'm wondering which one should I go for. I read in this forum that two repetition of sutras is very beneficial but I've heard the lightness sutra is also very important. Maybe more important than having 2 repetition of the other sutras.

Can anyone please advise me on this? I need to know which option is more beneficial.

Thanks,
Emil

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  08:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say choose one and stick to it. If lightness sutra for 5 minutes is too much don't force it. I'm also doing 2*2 repetitions + lightness for a shorter time. It works perfectly :]
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  04:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else have any comments on this?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  09:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Option 1: One repetition of sutras + 5 minutes of lightness sutra
Option 2: Two repetition of sutras + 2 minutes of lightness sutra

Hi Emil:

Option 2 is a more balanced approach. If one repetition is best for you now (option 1), then cut the lightness sutra to a couple of minutes. If you are paring one part of the sequence, you should pare the rest of the sequence.

It's your call, of course. Daily practice (honoring the habit) is more important than how much or how little we are doing. Maintaining your comfort in that is the key.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  02:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani,
What I understand from your answer is that the time spent on the lightness sutra needs to be less than or equal to the time spent on rest of the sutras. Is that correct?
I'm looking for a rule of thumb to use for future time adjustments when needed.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  10:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Thanks Yogani,
What I understand from your answer is that the time spent on the lightness sutra needs to be less than or equal to the time spent on rest of the sutras. Is that correct?
I'm looking for a rule of thumb to use for future time adjustments when needed.

Hi Emil:

Not exactly, though the way you are looking at it will yield essentially the same result. I am saying that if you are reducing sutra repetitions to one each, then consider reducing the lightness sutra at the end by one half also, which is a couple of minutes instead of five minutes. That is proportional.

On the other hand, you are free to do less or more of lightness as you see fit. Keeping some proportionality in the sequence is only a suggestion, not an absolute.

Nothing is absolute in AYP except inner silence.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000