Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Can Someone tell me about the Hara?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Godsproblem

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  4:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Godsproblem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am told this is located about an inch below the belly button. Seems I heard it is a place for focus when anything sensual arises in the body, other than that, I am ignorant. Anyone?

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  01:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Taoist model, this is the root of all energy. it serves for them the way mula does for yogis. In zen buddhism, which doesn't talk about energy, it's deemed the center, the root, of the body, the point to keep supported and to breathe from. In Japanese society (maybe other east asian ones, too, I don't know), it's analagous to our concept of backbone. If your child gets whiny or overly emotional, you might angrily remind him "Haru!!". If you have haru, you are an "upright" person.

Pilates also stresses this point as the center of the body's strength.

AYP doesn't advocate focusing on any certain point. Doing so is a distraction from the holistic nature of yoga. Energy follows attention, and non-specific attention (except re: mantra) ensures that purification happens where and as it needs to happen. Mantra knows best. :)

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 14 2008 01:29:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The point below the navel is a part of the dan tien a transliteration from the Chinese. The Japanese word for dan tien is similar. Hara also a Japanese word is a very broad term, I agree with Jim here, and his karma that it has a lot to do with backbone, character which in turn is connected to the dan tien which by the way is an energy storage area bounded by the diaphram, the perineum, and the opposite point on the back called the ming men or gate of life. Check out the books by Graf von Durkheim, one called Hara and one called The Way of Transformation. He is into posture, energy stabilization, and meditation on Presence.
Go to Top of Page

Godsproblem

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Godsproblem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, too, Bill, and happy valentines to you both.
Peace and Love
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  4:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Godsproblem

Thank you, too, Bill, and happy valentines to you both.
Peace and Love

The hara line is a golden line from the center of the earth to center in the abdomen, progressing to the soul star in the upper chest and finally, going through the centre of the head up towards the celestial chakras above the head to the divine star. In order to keep the energy flowing along this line, you are supposed to have perfect posture.
I first read about the hara line in Barbara Ann Brennans "Emerging Light". However, if you do a search on Google for the "hara line", you will find one web site which explains it. I think that web site stole the teachings directly from Brennan's books...

:)
Go to Top of Page

Godsproblem

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  06:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Godsproblem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I think I have one of her books on healing. I appreciate this info.
Love and Peace to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000