Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Khoomei, throat and overtone singing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  11:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey,

I've been discovering and practicing khoomei for about a year now.

It seems really easy to raise energy, self-clear blockages or heal others when doing that specific type of nada yoga based from central asian.

I would be very interested in having any return of experience from this forum about using khoomei, throat and overtone singing.

Albert

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  01:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Albert,
Raspy breathing, nasal raspy breathing, hummming, singing or producing any sound in your throat creates vibrations in your nasal cavity (if you keep good posture) which stimulate the pineal and pituitary glands. Stimulating the upper nasal cavity with sound vibrations is like a small taste of kechari. And, if you hum while sitting bent forward, you can feel the vibrations all the way down to your tailbone through the spine.
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  10:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Albert,

I don't have much to say about its use as a spiritual practice, though I have practiced throat/overtone singing just for kicks. A few resources for listening: "Tibetan Buddhism: Tantras of Gyuto" ( http://tinyurl.com/2npq7o ) and you might also want to check out David Hykes, and the film Genghis Blues

A small quibble....my understanding is that nada yoga is about listening for sound rather than producing it. And "listening" nada yoga is very much about crown opening, so if you're practicing AYP, which advises caution about premature crown opening, it's something to be cautious about.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 10 2008 10:44:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

Thanks for clarifying nada yoga versus khoomei. In fact, i was using nada yoga as a catch word to discuss khoomei but i've never practiced nada yoga.

I do not practice so far AYP but wonder if the soft palate specific use by khoomei singers might not have a link with kechari mudra !

Same observation when pressing the tongue on the hard palate used by sygyt singers !

Indeed, I had crying kriyas at certain moments when watching Genghis Blues movie.

I'll check on David Hykes which i've never heard before.

Yes Gyuto singing lineage is hot !

Edited by - selfonlypath on Feb 10 2008 1:53:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  1:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David Hykes is actually at the watered-down extreme. Less spiritual, more "worked out". Still very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  03:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,

For those of you who are sensitive to kundalini-shakti charged audio & video, here is very powerful one using khoomei-kargyraa (lower world) that can help open more lower dan tien:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5lnZZcgIQk

If you want open middle dantien, listen to khoomei-khoomei (middle world) and to open more upper dantien, listen to khoomei-sygyt (upper world).

An excellent free method to learn khoomei by this guy who knows a bit of authentic siberian shamanism:
http://www.busker-kibbutznik.org/kh...hcourse.html

Also this very fascinating video which I personally relate a lot with the right tummo practionner because he starts the meditation via singing some kargyraa:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pxVGC6HyXDQ

Enjoy, Albert

Edited by - selfonlypath on Jun 30 2008 06:39:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000