Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Scenery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  8:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Friends,
I know I might sound like a broken record but this keeps coming up for me. I am fine during pranayama and mantra meditation. I get pulled away but am getting more skilled at gently returning to the mantra. Good things are happening in general. Feelings and practice more stable.

But, during the Samyama, since I am to rest between repititions of the sutras, all kinds of images are flooding into my visual centers. I find myself "gone" for awhile and feel rather transported to who knows where. Sometimes I am gone for 5 minutes and have to hurry up and finish my session as time has gotten away from me. It is not all bad, just confusing. What are these images?
It seems that they should slow down sometime. I don't think I am doing anything on purpose against the instructions.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Jill

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are probably observing a process of mental digestion. Whatever is floating around inside, it seems to come up in meditation. Sometimes it is relevant to our conscious mind, other times the conscious mind does not or cannot understand.

The mind seems to have a commentary about these images, but if you get better at staying in your meditation, the images zip by.

Are you more of an artistic right brained person or is your analytical left brain more dominant?

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  11:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
jillatay, no shame in getting lost in samyama. it happens to all of us sometimes. You'll soon hit a rhythm, where the sutra comes up easily at the right time. i'ts true of all the practices, but particularly so of samyama: your experience of it will change radically, and frequently. Expect it! The only thing that remains constant is the practice itself, and that's all that matters.

Trying to "understand" scenery is tempting but futile. One of the most liberating features of AYP for me is Yogani's assurance that it's mostly just random byproducts - you can think of it as sawdust, or smoke - of the blasting being done on your impurities by the practice. So the images and all the other sorts of scenery are really pretty random. They're often pleasant and intriguing, and can, if you're not warned, become a "siren", calling to you to dive in and thus distracting you from your practice.

Just let it happen, and know that the mud's being blasted off your windows. Let it happen, but no need to identify with it.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 29 2008 12:00:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

quote:
Just let it happen, and know that the mud's being blasted off your windows. Let it happen, but no need to identify with it.

That's a perfect answer from Jim, Just let it happen and move on we all get lost in Samyama even Yogani so you are in good company it just proves that you are doing it right
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to add one of my favorite Yogani quotes (paraphrased): if, during practice, Jesus arrives and offers to give you a ride in his chariot, politely decline and continue the practice.

Was it really Jesus? Depends on your definition of "real". It's all real...and none of it. The bird chirping outside the window is real, and my first task as a meditator was to neither ignore it nor "listen" to it, but to simply let it do its thing. Same for Jesus as for the bird. Same even for the bliss, when it arrives. Let everything be as it is. Let it go.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  12:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

Are you more of an artistic right brained person or is your analytical left brain more dominant?

I am artistic, but good with math and science too. Both handed/both brained.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions. What you say now seems self evident but I still appreciate hearing it defined so well. I will continue to perservere.

Loving thanks,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, Jim. So true, although it would be one $#@! of a trip!: LOL

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 29 2008 3:13:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000