AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sound bites?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  08:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

Anyone experience, during deep meditation or just prior to falling asleep, "hearing" what seems like other people's sound bites?

Let me elaborate, during some brief moments during these two times, I hear what seems to be like out of context, bits of conversations or non-sensical thoughts that don't seem anything like my own. Admittedly though, it could definitely be subconscious pollution from watching TV or just general societal noise the brain picks up as we move through our days.

I feel it seems like it might have something to do with hearing the unconscious mind from quieting things down though this is just a theory.

Any comments?

Anthem11

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Andrew,

I think it's just subconscious noise. Meditation can activate sleep/dream-like processes. Nothing to be either concerned about or attached to.

Best regards,

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 20 2005 4:48:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  6:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew,

The relatively "meaningless" or static-like sound bites are ones I associate with moving toward sleep. Deep breaths, tensing the body a few times, opening the eyes, a cup of coffee, a nap are all common sense responses, depending on specific circumstances.

I think I've begun to understand and appreciate a hint on dealing with all kinds of thoughts in meditation, that I first read years ago. In Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind Shunruyu Suzuki said, "The best way to control your cow is to give it a bigger pasture."

I do not know how to describe this well, but it is as if, through the meditation practice, mental activity slows, and the field of awareness increases to the point that internal/external noise doesn't disappear, it just ceases to be a problem. Now and again you notice that the refrigerator hums, and crickets chirp outside the window, and thoughts come and go, and none of it disturbs an underlying Silence you begin to intuit.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  12:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Melissa,

don't feel silly. By the way, my philosophical-velociraptor-mode posts on the yahoo forum were intended to be narrowly focussed on whether 'psychics' can reproduce, and prove their powers at will, not on whether or not paranormal powers exist. If you have any discomfort posting your ideas or your experiences along these lines I may have unintentionally contributed to that discomfort --- sorry. Do feel very free.

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 21 2005 12:54:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  1:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed similar things happening during my DM practice.

Most of the time, at some point during the following of the mantra, I'll notice a change in my awareness. It's like some black curtain of relaxation and/or depth is lowered, and my subconscious (I guess) begins to provide some random scenery.

Something that has happened several times that I find quite curious: I'll be repeating and following the mantra, going along, and all of a sudden I'll realize that I'm actually repeating something else! All of a sudden I'll become aware that I have experienced a dream/daydream-like sequence in my head and am now repeating a word or phrase from that scene rather than the mantra. It's weird!

Regardless, as soon as I become aware of this, I just follow the procedure of easily getting back onto the actual mantra and proceeding. I try not to analyze or mentally comment.

With Love,
Sean

Edited by - n/a on Jan 30 2012 1:49:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the hypnagogic state and sounds and visions that come with it are "normal". Interestingly it seems the clearer you are the more you can noticed these things while just on the verge of sleep. Most folks just go right into sleep without noticing this phase.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000