AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 after thought from my vipassana classes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

siddha909

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  9:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit siddha909's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just came out from my 2nd Goenka (Burmese) style vipassana 10 days classes. Just want to share

The technique is simple

1)Sila: Basic Moral Conduct: No Killing, No Stealing, No Lieing, No Sexual Misconduct, No intoxicant
2)Samahdi: By Observing the breathing at the bottom part of the nosil
and the area above the upper lips and the sensation along with that area. And make the mind very sharp and focus.
3)Panja: By observing all the body sensation and stay neutral with it
3a)First along the surface ( skin ) of the body
3b)When one is master 3a) and get a subtle vibrational throw with no 3blockage then one starts to observe the inside of the body
3c)When one is master 3c) and get a subtle vibrational throw with no blockage, then one starts to observe the spinal cord
3d)when one is master 3d) one examine can one sweep the whole body head to toes (toes to head) with one breath and then get a vibrational throw with it.
3e)With 3d) One re-examine one is ability: one is aware the sensation (sizzling and vibration) on any part of the body with the size of a needle tip on any part of the body, inside or outside when one focus the mind on that tiny area (like that of a lightening rod)
3f)This is not the final goal as one is still working on the frame work of mind and matter(body and sensation). One has to cross over and beyond this level. He calls this dissolution

Goenka doesnt explain further after 3f) I am not sure if he has not experience it or because it is not talked in the level I attained

And this stage the practioner should be able to see that the whole body is composed of vibrational matter that arises and pass away and it gives one the experimental realization of impermantent

Also a more profound aspect of it the mind consists of four aspect
1)The recognitization part: The five senses + the mind (The input)
2)The catergory part: It will catergory 1) as either pleasant or unpleasant or neutral
3)The sensation part: If 2) is pleasant, then it will gives the body structure a pleasant sensation. If 2) is unpleasant it will gives the
body structure a unpleasant sensation.
4)The reaction part: The organism will reacts accord to the sensation.
Generally when one reacts when a pleasant sensation arises, one will develop craving, similarily, when one reacts when a unpleasant sensation arises, one will develop aversion and this will re-inforce
2) and create a feedback loop

The important part is to stay neutral and not-react when any sensation arises. This is quite profound
I contemplate deeper, most pleasant sensation is associated with survival or the continuation of one-self. And the unpleasant sensation is associated with the opposite. When there is no more will to live and experience, then the life flow stop and that is the end of creation for that part of life stream is concerned.

ALso one can see that this technique can eliminate all addiction, and the ultimate addication is the addication to live and experience or to be.

All teaching emphasis came of craving and aversion, and be ego-less and the will to die

Also consider a being thats is capable to aware and process all the information of every cell or atom. That being is fully conscious and hence is fully enlightened.

It is a profound path.

I dont get any flow and I know that I have a few block in the body
So for now I will just focused on my moral training and my energy training (tantra) and just use vipassana to observe myself as I do tend to over eat and lustful. My teacher has told me that I have unstable sex and naval character. I will put more emphasis when my kundaluni is fully awakened and I am completely purified.

I see this really similar to the Tibetan: Trekcho Contemplate and dont react. Actually I see it vipassna get mentioned in a bonpo dzogchen book but I am sure is it the same technique as the Goenka or Burmese style.

Any input are welcome.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 08 2008 1:08:04 PM

mufad

44 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mufad's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Friends,
Back in 1999 or thereabouts, I had attended the 10 day vipassana program in India, I already had a meditation background even before that so I could compare vipassana with the other techniques I was doing. I also consulted with people who had attended the advanced satipathana teachers course in vipassana. My conclusion based on my experience was that vipassana was good for an introduction to meditation, but I found kriya or spinal breathing to be more deeper, beneficial and blissful.

The reasons I did not feel much attracted by vipassana was

1> Too much focus on body sensations. The vipassana technique involves observing body sensations without reaction of pleasure or pain. We try to feel sensations that arise and pass away on the surface of the body as an observer. We are not supposed to feel attraction or repulsion to the pleasant or unpleasant sensations. I was more inclined to forget the body and go within in my meditations so this external focus did not appeal to me.

2> The goal in vipassana is to dissolve karma by observing the body sensations with detachment and thereby achieve liberation. There is no devotion/bhakti/bliss in this path - it is very dry. My goal was (and still is) “evolution” not “liberation”. I did not want to escape the wheel of birth and death, rather I want to grow and fulfil the destiny for which I was created. To expand the cup of my consciousness to hold more of the light, to feel greater ecstatic energy gushing in my spine, to be more open and receptive to the beauty around me, to ultimately merge into that which is beyond - that was my goal - and to awaken the kundalini in the process ... yes.

To conclude, I found vipassana to be a good introduction to meditation, the 10 days of silence and meditations can be an excellent turning point in a persons life, but the rabbit hole goes much deeper than that.

Welcome to wonderland,
Mufad.

Go to Top of Page

siddha909

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  5:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit siddha909's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For now, My main practice is still Yama, Niyama and the tantra purification and the gathering of Chi
The Goenka style asks for the exclusive practice of Vipassana.
It will be good in a retreat setting and if I dont have any blockage in my body or my mind. Also look at how the historical Buddha achieve enlightenment.

He was born as a Prince and get his first high absorption when he was 5 or 6
It means he is already very very evolved and with very very positive karma

And then he renounce everything, seeks out two very advanced teacher at his time and basically achieve ,if its not higher, the same level of his teachers

Then he went into the forest and fast himself into litearlly skin and bone
and eventually ate a bit of rice glue. Meditate under a tree and achieve enlightenment.

So I suppose Nama , Niyama and the tantric purfication path has it place even one eventually practice Vipassana. I would see Yama, NiYama and tantric practice is like tiling the soil and adding compose to prepare it for meditation such as Vipassana. Anyhow for me is good tool to due with my partial activated navel and sex chaka
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  10:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think vipassana is a great technique.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  03:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vipassana was the first meditation technique I tried. Very good as an introduction for stilling the mind and practice to focus. Then I found AYP and the addition of the mantra I AM was revolutionary in contrast to vipassana's passive watching-observing method. Like getting from a track in the woods onto the high way, increasing speed considerably.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  1:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

harmony

Hong Kong
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  10:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit harmony's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
is there an equivalent of samyama in the vipassana practice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000