Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I AM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is the I AM mantra the same meditation technique that AMMA teaches?

Something i have noticed is that when Hong Sau mantra is practiced in sync with the breath, it is actually a pranayama technique that quiets the breath. However, when the breath is quiet there is nothing to concentrate on. This is why i am considering perfecting my concentration by taking up I AM. Because presumably the better you concentrate the more the breathing will pause anyway.

Would that roughly be correct?

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 06 2008 08:20:37 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's correct...(although what we're really slipping into with all types of meditation is silence, so that there's nothing to concentrate on when the breath is quiet, that is somewhat of a good thing.)

It's true when yogis in the past have said, "the mind follows the breath". The reverse is also true: the breath follows the mind. So when you concentrate fully on "I am", you'll silence the mind, and thus the breath as well. Simpler is better.

A lot of problems come up when using control of breathing to still the mind. The body and mind both don't like it. It throws them out of balance easily, and is really hard to practice in the correct manner. So, it's better to move your attention away from the breath entirely, to let it take care of itself. It will sometimes speed up, if you're dealing with a certain type of blockage. The intensity of inward and outward breaths may change from being almost nothing, to being very harsh. But gradually it all subsides and you don't need to breathe much. You become harmonious. Also, you enter kevala kumbhaka, with the awakening of the kundalini due to great concentration and relaxation. When it awakens due to mind controlling techniques, like the "I am" mantra, it does so in a more balanced manner than if you were to awaken it with breath controlling techniques.

So, in my experience, I am all about meditation and I really do not recommend focusing on the breath.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice explanation Scott.

I don't know why, but i find Hong Sau more effective. Maybe because i have practiced it for much longer? I did do I AM earlier today but the effect wasn't as deep for me as Hong Sau. So i am sticking to Hong Sau. Maybe it is because i have a spiritual connection to Yogananda. I don't know.

I already figured out that kevala khumbaka allows the kundalini to rise. I just guessed this by myself. The only trouble i have now is i don't want to have a bad kundalini awakening. So i might not meditate just yet, because my breathing is already on its way to pausing for small sustained periods.

I must say that when i meditated earlier today i felt soothing sensations of cold or warm in my back and arms afterwards. I have no idea what this is.

But i am happy anyway because i know meditation works. I struggled for years and years with meditation and almost gave up. That is why if i had any advice for people meditating and feeling like giving up - DON'T!

As to getting into the breathless state, what do you concentrate on when you get there?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  1:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi,

quote:
That is a very nice explanation Scott.

Thanks!

quote:
I don't know why, but i find Hong Sau more effective. Maybe because i have practiced it for much longer? I did do I AM earlier today but the effect wasn't as deep for me as Hong Sau. So i am sticking to Hong Sau. Maybe it is because i have a spiritual connection to Yogananda. I don't know.

Sounds good. There isn't a correct technique besides one which works best for attaining samadhi.

quote:
I already figured out that kevala khumbaka allows the kundalini to rise. I just guessed this by myself. The only trouble i have now is i don't want to have a bad kundalini awakening. So i might not meditate just yet, because my breathing is already on its way to pausing for small sustained periods.

Yep, kevala kumbhaka and kundalini awakenings are unmistakable. They go hand in hand.

There is a lot of unnecessary fear regarding bad kundalini awakenings. If you are compelled to understand spiritual things, then you should go ahead with it, all the while, self pacing. Just ease into it.

In fact, people who don't ease into the practices in a gentle way probably won't experience much of anything...even despite practicing tons of "advanced" techniques. This is a secret regarding spiritual practices - there is a certain mindset you should do them in. A "sattvic" mindset. You should follow what feels right, and that will guide you in the correct way.

quote:
I must say that when i meditated earlier today i felt soothing sensations of cold or warm in my back and arms afterwards. I have no idea what this is.

It could have been a slight bit of kundalini...but in my opinion, it was probably just some energy shifting around. I often get this kind of thing...different strange sensations throughout the body. They aren't any big deal.

The kind of kundalini awakening that I consider an actual awakening is one where consciousness becomes very intense, the breath stops naturally, and you're "in the now". That is samadhi. It is kevala kumbhaka. It is a kundalini awakening. It's the essence of yoga, and is THE practice as well as the goal.

quote:
But i am happy anyway because i know meditation works. I struggled for years and years with meditation and almost gave up. That is why if i had any advice for people meditating and feeling like giving up - DON'T!

Good advice.

quote:
As to getting into the breathless state, what do you concentrate on when you get there?

Awareness.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  3:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The kind of kundalini awakening that I consider an actual awakening is one where consciousness becomes very intense, the breath stops naturally, and you're "in the now". That is samadhi. It is kevala kumbhaka. It is a kundalini awakening. It's the essence of yoga, and is THE practice as well as the goal."

Yep, so i know i am on the right track then!

Excellent answers Scott. You should write more, maybe interpret Patanjali?

Wow, it is amazing! I never thought i would break through into Yoga but 7 years of on and off meditation actually seems to work. That is why i urge everyone to do it regularly to get a taste of it, then you can kind of relax it, but remain non-attached and be moderate in tastes and habits. If you can achieve this, i bow down to you. You are quickly attaining the Godhead.
Go to Top of Page

jthabuddha

22 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthabuddha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
S C O T T
Staying Centered On The Truth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000