AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 World Peace/Relief of all suffering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  02:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I love Yogani's concept of Samyama and the nine sutras. My Inner Guru has a tenth sutra that She wanted me to ask you about:

World Peace/May All Beings Be Free of Suffering.

John C

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The simplicity of the sutra gives it its power. So compound, abstract notions might be counter-productive. But if you were to "break it down", and consider what actually leads to world peace, in terms of what you yourself can do, I think the ultimate conclusion has to be....spiritual practice. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world". There's no way we can be of greater service in this life than to be open to What Is and to be available in surrender. That is, after all, where peace is.

Also, I think it's a mistake to treat samyama as a "make a wish". We intone the sutra and get out of the way (go to silence) and let happen what happens. I don't say radiance sutra, in other words, in order to radiate; I say it and let the chips fall where they will. Who knows the effects....I'm out of that loop! "Making a wish" is a whole other thing involving goal-thinking, and involves my inherently corrupt and limited mind setting agenda and goals. The vanity of my mind compels me to set noble-sounding goals. I see through that vanity, realizing that it's just more sticky mind stuff.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 19 2007 12:57:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
My take on samyama is that we make things happen. We are not making a wish, I agree, we are working with intentionality. So too peace/relief of suffering. I am sure it is perfectly acceptable for each yogi/yogini in their samyama practice, to add or subtract whatever they intuit to be the most stirring objectives for each of us, in our practice.(Incidentally, I am a little puzzled about the ninth one, "inner space, lightness of air." If one has an intention to float, fly, or walk on water, that seems a bit of a trivial pursuit to me, a siddhi, not tied in with spirituality. A Siddhi? Is that what we want to achieve?)
As far as I can intuit however, Samyama, may be useful to achieve some objective, the power of prayer as it were, and what objective is more important than peace, worldwide, and for that matter, the ultimate objective of our spiritual quest,... relief of suffering for all beings. People who are way more advanced than I have come up with that one. Yogani?
John

Edited by - x.j. on Dec 20 2007 02:37:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  03:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

I have an appreciation for your sutra (World Peace). Let me know how it goes... I feel that it's a noble cause we should all strive for (and work together to achieve). Hopefully, we can achieve it within our lifetime.

As for the Akasha - Lightness sutra, I am also puzzled by it... however, I am using it as my chosen sutra and am getting... positive... results. For me, the result of this sutra is ecstatic bliss and laughter. It lightens me up so I can help others without being so serious.

May all beings be happy
May all beings be at peace
May all beings be free from suffering

Peace
Cosmic
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To Cosmic Troll,
The "lightness of air sutra" is referred to in the novel
Secrets of Wilder in reference to the power of levitation on pages 154 and 155, which is generally considered one of the Siddhis.

To Jim,
A vanity Jim? That comment kind of stares back at me as a harsh indictment somehow. Harsh words Jim?

John
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a mistake to treat prayer as anything but an opportunity to align our hearts & minds with God. God isn't waiting for me to ask for something so that 'he' can give it to me. Rather, it's incumbent upon me to surrender my heart, so that whatever comes to pass brings me joy. In other words, prayer is all about surrender. Same with samyama: I align myself with the God that is within me, and then as Jim says, I get out of the way, without making any further demands.

As Jesus taught us to pray, "...thy kingdom come, thy will be done..."
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How is it harsh to say that I'm vain, and therefore prefer to surrender than direct?

I've seen my mind work for 44 years and I'm absolutely sure that the solution isn't to give it better tools. So I let go.

Maybe your mind doesn't contain a trace of vanity or corruption, or self-deception. I know my mind, and that's all I can speak to. The one thing I can credit my mind with, though, is that an observation that my mind is vain, corrupt, and self-deceiving does not cause me to lash out or take offense (if I do have such an impulse, it quickly dissolves as I notice that the entire problem has been aptly demonstrated by that impulse). Of course, this very small measure of self-awareness also gives rise to yet more vanity in me. Zero sum!

Mind's a miasma. I'm not looking to empower it, or to take orders from it, or project its agenda, however noble-seeming its intentions, ever larger in the world. So I let go to an intelligence that's far less flawed.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 20 2007 12:51:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000