AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  4:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was on a meditation retreat a number of years ago, after someone dear to me had died,and made a turn in my life, into acceptance.
Books on yoga speak of dissolving the knot below chest level to enter the Heart. I think that may have happened. There was something that did give way. It felt like a heart attack. Skipped beats, racing of the heart(I clocked it at 140 beats per minute), apprehension, chest pain. I was convinced that I was going to die at that retreat center, far from an emergency room. This lasted a few hours. My teacher said I was going to be OK, and told me that this event only seems to happen once in a meditators lifetime. Though it was scary at the time, afterwards it seemed like a dramatic shift had occured, that it all needed to happen. This was the beginning of my meditation practice and I have meditated since then. It was a healing, and an opening. I still feel most at home at the heart center. I remember my teacher's words, that we should rest our awareness at the heart. We want to over intellectualize everything, but our center of consciousness is not in the head, but in the heart. Rest there and all shall be well.

Edited by - x.j. on Dec 04 2007 09:42:09 AM

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  4:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you my friend. I've been concentrating on the heart area for a while now. Sometimes I feel it deepening and I experience love, but most of the time I feel a lot of self-contempt for everything. People make me very annoyed. The word acceptance has this connotion that ohh I just accepted it and like a snap of the finger everything is honky dory. For me acceptance is a long drawn out painful experience. But i suppose all you can do is ride it out right?

I should be focusing on my hara more at where I'm at. Once I'm more stabilized there I think I would be more capable of moving into my heart. It feels very good to simply rest in your hara. I think I'm experiencing the begining of this. My thoughts and slowing downs and It's like if you imagine molecules slowing down and then freezing in water. Accpet it's not cold. It's more of a jaw clenching feeling.

I wish I knew more mores like pingala and tinata and all those confusing words. I think It would be helpful. Sometimes it feels like ther are so many subtle areas that I can sense. Especially now that I'm doing the tantra and it feels like everything is loosening up.

well, i gotta go..
Nice Post
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  12:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great post, John C.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  10:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can confirm about the skipped beats and anxiety/coronary symptoms with heart chakra opening. But it's definitely not a one-time thing. It can close and re-open again, with the same symptoms (just as any other part can close and re-open, even endlessly). But if you've been through it once, at least you know not to panic about it, which makes it a lot less uncomfortable. It also feels less mythic and more neurological.

Also, I've found that there's "open" and then there's REALLY open. No doubt there's also "really really" open. This stuff is all like peeling an onion.

As for making it happen, it's exactly like falling in love. You can't make yourself do it..and you'd make yourself crazy trying. So there's no sense worrying if it hasn't happened yet. Trust that it will. In fact, that trust will help. Open-heartedness is what opens the heart (grief is a great boon).

AYP, FWIW, doesn't recommend focusing the attention anywhere in particular (though for those with a very intense habit of putting attention at brow, with resultant bad symptoms, switching to heart can help resolve the problems). It's natural to feel an urge to control and wield practices, but it all really works best (in my opinion, anyway) if you simply let go. And if one does truly let go, zing will go the strings of one's heart, anyway, without fail. :)

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 02 2007 10:38:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000