Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 tensing and relaxing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  5:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is the relaxation technique when you tense your entire body (at once or in portions) as hard as you can for like 15 seconds and then letting go completley.

I was wondering if anyone does this on a regular basis. I've done it a couple of times and found it to work pretty good. I especially can see it working if one did it regularly.
I think it would be really good to do it after mediation to get a nice relaxed start on the day.

Peace be with you

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  11:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have a hard time isolating muscles. I have tried this, but find I unknowlingly clench certain other muscles (especially in the face, shoulders). A practice like this would really do a lot for muscular and body awareness and control.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  09:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah i can see what you mean. i think it's great. i'm gonna try and do it after every meditation session.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very effective general relaxation technique. It is often used by people lying in bed as preparation for sleep.

To add an extra dimension to it, as you tense, say your right leg, breath in fully whilst you are tensing, hold your breath and hold the tension - then suddenly release both.

Go through your body like this.
One leg then the other, the lower torso, upper torso ( or both together), one arm and hand then the other, and very important the face and head.

If you were doing this with meditation, you could try it before rather than after meditation to give you a good start.

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  10:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I perform tension relaxation exercises for 10 minutes before my yoga practice. I got a sequence of 22 exercises that I perform, and it can be found and downloaded from www.pranayama.org under techniques. The include eye exercises as well as some mudras, and they are absolutely wonderful as an alternative to doing asanas. and you can do all of them while sitting in a chair!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  11:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good technique indeed, with quite a few variants. I've read a detailed book about it by an Australian doctor (neurologist and anaestesiologist, whose name I've forgotten) who was practicing yoga himself. I've used it to finish off a yoga class and people loved it.

Most Sivananda classes use a compact fast-track variant of it and Most Satyananda classes use a very short one on start (before sun salutations etc) and a longer one in the beginning of the final yoga nidra.
I like to guide it for 20 to 30 minutes (2 rounds - actively, and then passively, 'by mind only') while doing it myself, all of us lying in shavasana, which gives me a deeper relaxed voice and seems to make it easier for the class to relax deeply and to have a nearly spiritual experience despite a limited experience of yoga otherwise.

I've also tried a couple of technical hints from the Australian doctor, one of the best was the upper part of the setu bandha, on one limb at a time, combined with a micromovement of the tensed upper limb towards the middle (axis), then relaxing it on exhalation; it really increases the tension and the relaxation that follows.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000