AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation Practice for 1 or more Hours
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeanG

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SeanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello ALL, i have been inspired to practice Deep Meditation between my morning and evening practices of 20 minutes. I was wondering is it ok to gradually increase the time i spend in Deep Meditation in increments of 10 minutes per day until i reach 1 hour or more. Since i have the time in my life right now. I would like to gradually work my way up to 2 hour sittings in addition to the regular 20 minute morning and evening sessions. I guess my concerns are, is there any negative side effects that can come from this? Seeing as though Deep Meditation covers a different approach than other meditation exercises.

Thanks in Advance for any insight
Sean

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sean, and welcome!

In modern terminology, your plan to ramp up deep meditation time to that extent can be said to be, "cruising for a bruising."

It would be like having a very fast car and increasing from a reasonable highway speed of 60 mph at the rate of 10 mph per day to reach a goal of 200 mph in two week's time. There is only one problem with this approach. As logical as it may seem, it is a formula for disaster.

You are the driver and are in charge, and will learn as you go. Just be mindful to avoid flying off a cliff before you have had the opportunity to gain the benefits of safe driving.

Deep meditation of the kind we are using in AYP is very powerful. It is for shorter sittings and then going out and being active in daily life to stabilize the results on an ongoing basis. This is the formula.

If you want to add practice time on (or, more importantly, increase results with safety), consider getting involved in yoga postures and spinal breathing pranayama, also in modest doses as suggested in the lessons. These can add a powerful dimension to your practice. There is a lot more that can be done to enhance practices and their results with relative safety, one step at a time. See the AYP lessons for an integrated plan.

If you are determined to do long sittings of meditation, then you might consider looking at Buddhist and other methods that are more suited for that. However, I would caution about mixing other methods with the AYP practices. Sometimes there can be compounding effects leading to similar issues of excess purification that can occur when overdoing with the AYP practices alone.

As has been said before, the path of human spiritual transformation is a marathon, not a sprint. Rome was not built in a day.

So, consider building a balanced daily approach for the long term that will enable you to carry on in normal life, with steadily increasing inner silence, ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love. It takes patience and persistence, and is well worth doing.

Other options to consider include joining or forming an AYP meditation group, and eventually AYP retreats which provide the means for an increased number of daily meditation sessions in a carefully regulated routine over days or weeks. AYP meditation groups and retreats will happen as and when practitioners get together and organize them. When practitioners are willing and able to administer such evolutionary group activities, the knowledge and tools to support them will be available within the AYP system of practices.

There is great power in group practice, as many are finding in local meditation groups, and the decentralized web-coordinated group meditation and samyama sessions that have been going on here for some time.

You can see some of the development work that is being done for AYP meditation groups and retreats here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41

AYP meditation groups and retreats are still in the embryonic stage. There is a lot of potential there for the future as more and more practitioners are coming along around the world.

As you can see, there are many ways to enhance our spiritual progress, but I don't think driving 200 mph along the curves of purification and opening in our nervous system is one of them.

Wishing you all the best on your chosen path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

SeanG

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You yogani for your prompt response. I will definitely respect the practice and in that case take it easy. Building a steady balanced daily routine of 20 min. twice a day. I will also look into the meditation groups and retreats...

Thanks
Sean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000