Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Is this suppose to happen in Deep Meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeanG

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi ALL, i recently found this site after searching tirelessly online and off looking for the perfect Yoga Instructor "Guru" only for my higher self to point my ego in this direction. "The Guru is in you". So i really am charged about these practices and appreciate the simplicity in how they work and in doing them.

I had a few questions about how Deep Meditation works on the Mind. Such as does it allow the mind to develop One Pointed-ness and maintain its strength

Also, about Samyama. I have a book called Yoga Secrets of Psychic Powers by Swamiji Jyotirmayananda. Where he teaches that Samyama is the process of Concentration, Meditation and Samadhi on basically anything. He gives a Samyama approach to mastering the 18 Siddhis of Raja Yoga and the 8 Major Siddhis also. I havent read Yogani's book on Samyama yet. I definitely will though.

Although based on the responses that i see others posting in regards to its approach and practice, im wondering does it work in the same way

Now for my experience!!!

I had an experience while experimenting with Deep Meditation last night. It was my first time really sitting down to try it. I have had some experience in mental exercises before. So i understood how to do it. But, what i experienced was interesting. As i was repeating the Mantra "I AM" i stayed focused on the sound and not the meaning. My breathing didnt matter, although it was calm during the whole practice. The more i got into repeating the mantra, it seemed to increase in speed in my mind without any effort. Breath was still calm and smooth. But the mantra was repeating in my mind very fast. Then suddenly, it stopped and there was a brief moment of silence. After which the mantra came back, but only slower.

I was wondering is this what i should experience everytime, with only the moments of silence getting longer and longer until they are consistant

Thank You
Sean

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  8:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeanG

I had a few questions about how Deep Meditation works on the Mind. Such as does it allow the mind to develop One Pointed-ness and maintain its strength

Hi SeanG and welcome to AYP,

Yes deep meditation develops concentration and "One Pointed-ness" over time as the mind has less and less to be distracted by. Not sure what you mean by "strength" though.
quote:

Although based on the responses that i see others posting in regards to its approach and practice, im wondering does it work in the same way

Sorry not familiar with Swamiji Jyotirmayananda's work, so can't comment.
quote:
Now for my experience!!!
I had an experience while experimenting with Deep Meditation last night. It was my first time really sitting down to try it. I have had some experience in mental exercises before. So i understood how to do it. But, what i experienced was interesting. As i was repeating the Mantra "I AM" i stayed focused on the sound and not the meaning. My breathing didnt matter, although it was calm during the whole practice. The more i got into repeating the mantra, it seemed to increase in speed in my mind without any effort. Breath was still calm and smooth. But the mantra was repeating in my mind very fast. Then suddenly, it stopped and there was a brief moment of silence. After which the mantra came back, but only slower.

I was wondering is this what i should experience everytime, with only the moments of silence getting longer and longer until they are consistant

The best thing I can say is don't expect anything at any time. Experiences during meditation come and go and can manifest in infinite ways, they are as the lessons point out, a result of inner purification. The true measure of your meditation is how you feel outside of practices, day to day, month to month etc. Inner silence will increase over time both in and outside of meditation, this is where the magic is.

If you haven't already, check out the AYP main lessons here, they are a great resource:

http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html

Best of luck to you,

A
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000