New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  6:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a bunch YB, I'll order that tomorrow.

Your a great source of wisdom and info, much appreciated.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  2:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Louis, glad you find some useful things in my posts.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
Almost a year and half has passed since you made this post. Can you please tell us what are your observations now? I have the same question as you had in this post. The only difference is I'm practicing all the AYP practices twice daily and still my progress is slower than one would expect. That makes me wonder maybe I'm doing "something" wrong in one of the core practices like spinal breathing which is making all the other practices fruitless. I've had this question for more than a year and now adays I think less and less of these stuff and just continute with the practice. But that doesn't mean the question is answered. That's why I'm interested to know about your observation.

Cheers,
Emil
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know you are waiting for Anthony to answer, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. You have to do the twice daily practices with the same mindset as brushing your teeth. If you keep looking at the practices and waiting for results it doesn't help.
The practices are for the purification of your system. If you do them for at least 15 minutes DM then the purification will happen. What a lot of people are calling results are really side effects of the purification.
There is no set time before certain things happen. The "results" that Anthony already experiences of his life being more peaceful are not too hard to attain and keep. This result is much more important to your life than any bliss during meditation, although it is hard to perceive in that way.
Some people take quite a long time to get anywhere on the path, and just need to persevere. Meditation needs to be done regularly, and without thought of "results". There are other things during the day that can impede your progress also.
If you read the "main lessons" those things are what Yogani calls throwing more mud on the windshield that you are trying to clean with purification.
But in general, if you don't have a substance use problem, you will be on the right track by just continuing.
"Bhakti" is very important and powerful. Instead of thinking of "results", if you put all your desire into your highest ideal such as God, and think of him often all day long, it will make a great difference.
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think ether makes valid points but my experience is that the subject can be much more complex. It is totally personal.

For instance I'm totally caught up with the idea that i HAVE TO change in order to make my life not suck so much, so I'm not able to do spiritual practices with the attitude of brushing the teeth and I'm not sure do I have a higher ideal.

so what I wanted to say is that the suggested attitude towards the practices is another ideal and it isn't necessarily achievable for all mindsets to any degree. For me it seems the best to allow the struggle instead of fighting with it (and creating even more struggle) and allow the flow do its thing.

The want for change isn't necessarily a bad or harmful thing that needs to be transcended. It makes you try new stuff. It is self expression. Still, I'm not saying either it is always a good thing nor desirable. It is what it is.
My two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  8:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you could use the desire for change as an ideal.
And you can separate that from practices so that you are not expecting results from the practices.

If you list all the things about yourself you want to change, I'm sure most of them can be worked on outside of meditation. Think about our desire for change a lot during the day, and increase that desire if you can. But don't expect meditation to magically change those things.
It WILL make you more peaceful and less stressed; that's easy.
And it's not hard to achieve a very deep relaxation that is beyond what you get when you sleep.
And there's more. But when you look for special effects other people describe, that is the attitude that can slow you down.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000