New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was just wondering this today...

This will be about my 5th month of AYP. I have stuck with it pretty well...missed a session here and there, but pretty much 10-15 min asanas, pranayama, and meditation everyday. I have read all Yogani's books.

Thing is, I know there is a tendency to want to verify progress with tangible results...but I'm starting to wonder if by the 5th month I surely should be feeling something. meditation is easier defintley...but no inner bliss as far as i can tell. pranayama is what is worrying me...it still feels as metaphorical as it did in the beginning, I really never feel any sure sign that there is any energy whatsoever in my body and this makes me wonder if I am doing things wrong. I am not going to go into the typical questions of whether I'm saying the mantra "right" or visualizing the shushumna "right"...but I mean, is it truly possible that I am doing it all wrong? That all this time because of some small technical error I actually have made little to no progress in terms of cultivating the nervous system? I know inner silence will take time and I do feel maybe I am moving there...but the ecstatic part - no, nothing. I know Yogani talks about how meditation is a prereq for ecstacy in that it prepares the nervous system, but I know of plenty of people on here and one personally who took it up as I did and has more obvious signs of conductivity than me.

Is it possible that my Matrix of Obstructions as Yogani says is very stubborn? I will say that up to about a year ago I would consider myself to have been extremely emotionally unstable so perhaps it will take time for those demons of the past to resolve.

I talk with Tadeus, a fellow member of this site often on instant messenger and he is my age and similar to me in some ways and he seems like he feels like Yogani probably feels everyday. His progress while inspiring sometimes makes me discouraged because I wonder again if I am doing things right...or if there is no right and the techniques will more or less express themselves.

Once again, I understand Yoga cannot be defined by "progress" or validated by its effects...but all this talk about ecstacy this and bliss that...I mean, it does make mewonder if I'm missing the boat.

I had recuring feelings a month or so ago or a kind of inner laughter, like an urge to laugh upon deep inhalation with I took to be a sign of progress physically...but now it is gone and I wonder if it was just placebo.

I would say in closing that I think the things that I defintley have noticed since taking this up...and this may or may not even be from the practice...but I notice that I am more tolorant, more aware of my mentality and emotions, and have dramatically less anger inside of me which used to be a serious problem. now, regardless of whether I am joyful and happy or kinda down at least I feel kind of sedated compared to the ball of rage I used to be...and if that is because of yoga then I am quite grateful.

Edited by - anthony574 on Aug 10 2007 5:24:09 PM

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  7:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woah !!! - 5 months and you are already into asanas already. I dont know if I am qualified to give you advice,but I thought we should first attain inner bliss before starting pranayama and then have ecstasy before starting asanas.

That inner laughter thingy for 1 time is not a reliable indication - I had it for my 1st session of meditation and it never came back,but I am not too worried...

Maybe you should go back to only meditation 1st to build up your foundation,maybe I am wrong... I myself is following the schedule in my 1st paragraph
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  8:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i do asanas primarily because it seems to center me...it seems to make pranayama and meditation "feel" more effective somehow, thats the best i can describe it. i only do 10 mins so i dont think its overdoing it there.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  9:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your expectations may get in your way. You have to do the practices consistently without any expectations of results.
How can you want something so bad yet pretend not to?
By turning all that desire toward your highest ideal rather than toward expectations. In other words, you need to get your mind in a place where you decide to do the practices forever without any results because you are dedicating them to your highest ideal. By that I mean God, or whatever is the highest you personally aspire to spiritually. The reason you would want to do this is to purify your nervous system.
Then when you can forget about the results you were hoping for, you will notice all kinds of personal results that other people haven't written about. This is better than trying to get someone else's results!
Also it should be fairly easy to make your life more comfortable, interesting, and peaceful.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  11:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The way I was taught yoga you did asanas first, then eventually pranayama and that meditation was the icing on the cake. The thing is that it is very possible to do asana wrong and to injure yourself, so its important to have a good teacher. Same goes for pranayama although if you are simply doing spinal breathing with no breath retention I wouldn't worry, but it is also not the most powerful pranayama practice if you want to increase the feeling of energy. It is very balancing and refining however. If you do go on to breath retention in pranayama you really need to be careful, use the jalandhara bandha or chin pump and practice every single day without fail and be careful never to strain. I don't think that sitting meditation with mantra in the AYP method has much risk but regular practice is key. I would say that in my experience a combination of saving sexual energy and regular pranayama practice (with breath retention and kechari) is what opens the energy most directly and then mantra refines and deepens the experience

Edited by - Victor on Aug 10 2007 11:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  11:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so you dont think there is really a problem with doing pranayama and asanas even though I am not to the point of conductivity? i was thinking of taking it back to only meditation for a while...but I really feel like i dont want to give them up.

Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  12:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

I agree completely with Ether. Do the practices because you enjoy them, without attachment to any expected results. Then you will always get more than you expect. And, as has been said many times before, 5 months of practice is a very short time. It's better to think in years instead. Be sure that the results will come and will be very tangible. In most cases there may not seem to the outer senses like much is happening energetically during the initial period of practice. However, the purification is taking place in the nervous system with the same certainty as later when the process is felt by the outer senses as well. Every nervous system is individual, and therefore others' experiences are not very useful indicators to use as expectations for oneself.

I think you are doing the practices just right. I think it's pretty remote that a small technical error would be any detriment. AYP practices are very powerful, and there is some latitude in, for example how the spine is visualized, so I think you can feel confident that you do it right.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  01:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess for me 5 months seems quite long...I cant believe I've actually stuck with it this long, I'm not very much the type to follow through on things but somehow AYP has wedged itself in there :-)
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my take: We're here to evolve to a higher level of consciousness than that which we were born with. Some people evolve several levels higher in a lifetime, some don't evolve at all. If one is born with a survival-based mentality, s/he will need to rise above that, which is an enormous leap. To raise one's consciousness from survival to compassion is one of the greatest human challenges. Clearly you're beyond that, Anthony, so in a sense you're home free. The rest - energy, groovy experiences, etc. - are mere pebbles on the road toward the greater goal of uniting with the source, and then the infinite levels of awakening.

I think it's a mistake to consider the various experiences (energy, visions, and so forth) as confirmations that we're on the right path. They're no more than spasms of the nervous system, and some people simply are less prone to them. Whenever I get discouraged about the lack of scenery, I remind myself of how far along I am compared to the life situation I was born into.

I agree with the others that 5 months is nuthin. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Anthony,
5 months was an eternity for me when I started AYP :).. so I know what you mean when you say...
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

I guess for me 5 months seems quite long...I cant believe I've actually stuck with it this long, I'm not very much the type to follow through on things but somehow AYP has wedged itself in there :-)

.. and now after about 2 years.. I feel like.. Oh I just started yesterday..

Ether and Weaver are right, practice without expectations.. Do your practice like "brushing your teeth" every day, twice a day.

As for doing everything wrong.. I agree with Victor, be careful with asanas.. but if you are following the asana routine from Yogani's book.. and not pushing yourself to get into postures and breathing normally through the postures (not holding your breath).. you should be OK.
As for spinal breathing and meditation, I believe, there is no wrong way... As long as you stay with the basic instructions.. follow your spine from root to 3rd eye.. follow awareness up during in-breath, down during out-breath.. During meditation, return to the mantra when you lose it.
As you keep going, have faith in your inner guru.. and you will be doing it exactly the way you need it at that point. As you continue, you will see your practices changing.. maybe very slightly.. to fit into whatever is required at that point by you. Don't look for it (changes).. let it happen.. like Jim says, (do your practice like) "Let the cosmic barber trim your hair, and try to stay out of it."

As for the scenery.. after 2 years of practice.. I still dont see lights, visions, chakras, spinal nerve etc. But I have seen so many positive changes in my life.. that at times I wonder if internal seeing is very important for progress.. Maybe it is, and I would still hope to see this wonderful light during mediation some day.. and do envy those who can see :).. but I have given up waiting for it.

You are doing great. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 11 2007 10:46:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

Some thoughts on your posts:

quote:
...and if that is because of yoga then I am quite grateful.

Yogani says to measure our progress by the improvements we see in our daily life. It sounds to me like you are getting excellent results.

quote:
but I mean, is it truly possible that I am doing it all wrong?

Its possible but not probable. What I have found is, if intellectually we are in the ball park, the truth of our inherent design for growth will kick in and take care of the rest. By that I mean, for example, if you are doing spinal breathing, if you are mentally doing the practice and traveling up and down the spine with your attention and imagination engaged, you will eventually directly experience the spinal nerve and ecstatic conductivity as an actual reality, rather than as your imaginary approximation of it. You will make the jump. Does that make sense?

quote:
so you don't think there is really a problem with doing pranayama and asanas even though I am not to the point of conductivity?

Absolutely not. Totally wrong idea.

quote:
i do asanas primarily because it seems to center me...it seems to make pranayama and meditation "feel" more effective somehow, thats the best i can describe it.

I find the same thing as you, Anthony. My meditation is definitely enhanced after steps 3 and 4. Spinal breathing and meditation is so much better if I take 10-15 minutes to do asanas first. I usually only do asanas before evening meditation. My body is more flexible and it resets my physiology after a long day and makes the rest of the evening more enjoyable to.

Remember, Yogani says that asanas and pranayama cultivate the nervous system and prepare it for the rise of is and ec. It is preparing the soil for the planting and the harvesting.

Yesudian and Haich, in their book Raja Yoga:

"If a heavy burden is suddenly placed on the shoulders of a weak man, he falls down under the load. But if this weak man systematically exercises and thoroughly strengthens his muscles before he tries to carry the burden or if he begins with light loads and builds up step by step, day by day in proportion to his increasing strength, he will easily be able to carry the loads that formerly caused him to cave in. Indeed, if he does not stop developing his strength, he can keep on building up his muscles and will be able to carry even far greater loads with ease.

It is the same with the nervous system. If we develop our consciousness cautiously, step by step, the nervous system will have time to build up its strength to carry new currents of higher tension. Then these currents cannot do us any harm. On the contrary, just as the physically weak men can develop muscular strength through right exercise, the strengthening of the resistance of our nervous system means an incalculable gain--not only in regard to the development of the consciousness on the mental plane, but on the physical plane as well.

The different systems of Yoga strengthen and temper the nervous system by various methods so that, as the consciousness rises and the currents increase in intensity, the system is able to carry them without injury."

And from their book, Yoga and Health:

"It is recommended to begin with that yoga which starts with control of the body.

The lower degree of Hatha Yoga is so interesting and useful that is is worth while getting acquainted with it and devoting our attention to it. Even the greatest masters had to begin their learning with this step, for without the alphabet there can be no reading.

Thru long practice, consciousness can develop every nerve cell to a higher ability and make it the conductor of a current of a higher order. Naturally time is necessary to accomplish this.

If we direct our consciousness daily--unceasingly for years--to a group of nerves (spinal breathing), the latter begin to develop and step by step become able transmit the higher manifestation of the SELF.

One who doubts this can convince himself as soon as he has taken the time and patience to develop his nerve centres beyond the stage reach by the average man!"

By the inch, its a cinch. By the yard, it gets hard. And by the mile, its a trial.

Don't forget. Everytime you practice it is like putting money in the bank. But you are accumulating spiritual riches. After a time you will look at your account and be amazed at how much is there. Just think where steady practice will put you in a few years. When your account is busting at the seams, you will be able to do some charity work.

Believe me, I know sometimes you may feel like you are treading water, but forward progress is sometimes imperceptable and can only be gauged retrospectively. The current of life is carrying you forward, whether you resist it, do nothing or go with it. I think you will find in time that your greatest forward progress in life was gained thru yoga practice.

My hope for you is that you steadily practice day in and day out for the rest of your life (because I wish I had. I hazard to think what my state of consciousness would be if I had religiously practiced deep meditation for the last 30 years. I had the opportunity but instead, I goof off ; oh well, that is my karma ). I think it is Jim and his karma that said (and I see that etherfish and weaver said it, too), "like brushing your teeth."

Just think where you will be.

I think you are doing great. Hope you find something in there that is of help.

Best wishes, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Aug 11 2007 6:54:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  1:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Once there was a young woman who wanted to join in Sri Aurobindo’s ashram. After a brief look at her photograph he said : “No, let her stay in her youth for a while”.
Yes, age can be an adverse influence in spiritual matters, not a bad influence but your mind and body are too strong.
If this is not the case, you sincerely want to change, listen to a CD or a DVD of Eckhart Tolle (or .... a real spiritual teacher). A simlpe example : breath conciously a few times during the day : that is meditation too. Look, smell a few times during the day conciously. This means : stop thinking and only breath, look, smell.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, i often wonder of the nature of age in relation to yoga. i am 20 and i imagine that yoga would only get better with age as the insecurities associated with youth kind of smooth out. ive heard it said, i believe by ken wilbur, that age smoothes out the rough edges...though i am in no hurry!

ken wilbur also said of enlightenment, "You want to know what enlightenment is? Meditate everyday and get back to me in three years". I suppose 5 months isn't quite the whole journey
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthony,
20 is a great age to start yoga. I started when I was 19 and am very glad that I did. You have a lifetime of practice ahead so i would just be attentive to the moment as you practice and adjust accordingly and enjoy the process. In the meantime live your life as you see fit and enjoy it without straining to achieve any yogic breakthroughs in the short run, just make your practice a deep habit. Openings will come when the time is right. It is a lifetime process so it is very good to start wherever you are. The biggest change for me that made my practice a joy was when it shifted from feeling like effort to feeling like rest and nourishment even though the technical aspects didn't change.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  10:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Don't forget. Everytime you practice it is like putting money in the bank. But you are accumulating spiritual riches. After a time you will look at your account and be amazed at how much is there. Just think where steady practice will put you in a few years. When your account is busting at the seams, you will be able to do some charity work.

Hahaha, well put, Sir!

I think ecstatic sensation began for me around 5-6 months, Anthony, you are probably on the verge.

One of the most important things is not to sacrifice your stability for what 'seems' to the mind as proof or validation. I think continuing on without the sensations will be proof even more that you are on the path, and have genuine spiritual power and depth. Than any fleeting sensation.

You are probably extremely well off by not tampering too much within. So if you just took it on faith to keep doing what you are doing, you could likely go through a very smooth awakening process.

If you do not want to take it on faith or are curious, your body is right there waiting. We often arrange times to have attention on our body, like a date. A meditation appointment. But your body is right there, and your attention can start penetrating any part of your body now. This doesn't mean throw stability out on the street, keep your routine.

Knowing your inner body is your right, but as youth we were not taught how to exorcise it. Just as easily as you place attention in one hand and not in the other, place it in your various limbs. Pick one, then move on, try both hands at once. How creative are you?

Just take 10 minutes of personal time and don't budge, just observe the body. Begin to feel it, explore it. Be serious about this choice to learn, in the sense of dedication to your goal.

As a child I remember looking at my hands and moving my fingers, wondering how they worked. I would trace the movement from my finger to my hand, to the arm, and then my brain. We are very curious as children, without all the sense of self that needs thing to be a certain way.

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 11 2007 11:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  09:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Anthony - something occurred to me - forgive me if this was mentioned earlier b'c I havent' read the entire thread. Sometimes one's meditation is greatly enhanced by another, separate activity that brings you into focus. Tai Chi is an obvious one, but it doesn't need to be a chi- or spiritually-based activity. Dancing, jogging, darts - it could be anything, but the activity should engage you fully and have the tendency to bring your focus inward. If there's something that you really enjoy doing, then you might move into it deeply, really explore it and get good at it. When you do this, the activity eventually starts to engage your nervous system, so the doing of it actually becomes a form of meditation. This in turn enhances your sitting meditation. Actually, I don't know if this explanation is true or not (), but it's been my experience, and I've talked to others who say so as well.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi meg,

This is a primary technique employed by Elisabeth Haich in her book, Sexual Energy and Yoga.

She calls it the artless art and says that creative work occupies our attention and helps our consciousness rise to higher states, without space and time. We detach from the pasting and futuring of thought and become wrapped up in the present.

As Yogani puts it, it helps to stabilize is and ec.

In fact her method is spinal breathing, meditation, concentration, hatha yoga, creative physical and intellectual work. You are experiencing and describing perfectly the reasons why she advocates this.

Independent origination on your part. We all have the same siring, right?

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
YB - thanks for the book reference. I'll definitely check it out, as her name has come to me from various sources. I would only add that the usual energy-evoking exercises (such as the ones we do at AYP) are less 'natural' for some people than others. I'm not particularly good at them, and quite honestly, I'm not so sure that I get that much out of spinal breathing, jalandhara, etc. I get something out of doing them, and I do them regularly, but I get much more out of my creative activity. (I'm trying to avoid the word 'hobby', but essentially, that's what I'm talking about). So if anyone is having a difficult time with the AYP method, I'd advocate finding an activity apart from your practices that engages you, and engage in it intensely. It's probably going to be something that you already do, and that's already part of your life, but you've never thought of it as a tool for raising your consciousness.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's about concentration. Meditation is about purification, but it's also about focusing attention more and more toward single-pointedness. The sort of activity you're talking about also focuses attention to single-pointedness...i.e. enhances the concentration. What's lacking, though, is the purification aspect, which comes from meditation (or, they say, from service, though most people serve from ego - usually inadvertantly - so it's a tricky route).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Aug 12 2007 10:55:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  12:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - I'm pretty sure that I disagree with you that the purification only happens during meditation. When I'm doing my 'thing' - the activity other than meditation - I'm actively engaged for an extended period of time, and then afterwards, like when I go to bed and fully relax, the energy becomes very alive. The only reason that I only half-heartedly disagree with you is that I also meditate, so it's difficult to pinpoint which activity is causing the purification. I believe that they both do. I'm quite sure that if I stopped meditating and only engaged with my other activity, I'd still have the energy, and thus the purification.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  1:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe so. But thing is it's extremely difficult to gauge one's degree of purification, much less which factors are causing it. Most traditions say meditation and service are the route to purification, though. And fwiw I spent many years working in arts, developing my concentration, but seemed to be piling mud on my windows as fast as anyone. Though, again, it's hard to say.

in any case, don't underestimate the importance of developing single-pointed attention. That's a huge part of spiritual practice. Meditation is one route, but arts are another. And if you've got some purification going (via meditation), any tiny increase to one's concentration ability (or length it can be sustained) works, as you say, symbiotically with the entire process.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  9:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi meg,

Here are some quotes from the book, Sexual Energy and Yoga, by Elisabeth Haich:

quote:
There is nothing like creative work to facillitate progress and to help transform sexual energy into creative power and radiate it as spiritual energy. Let us then, work at something, what ever it may be. If we do so, we no longer need to worry about how to divert our thoughts. They are absorbed in work, without petty, personal awareness of the self. One is so closely bound up with the present that the thoughts, always linking past with future, cannot penetrate the continuous present. One automatically disconects oneself from time and space. We direct sexual energy automatically and instinctively into the higher centers where it operates as creative-magical power.

The work is the most essential thing, for we develop with it. Work for work's sake, for the sake of development, hastens our progress. The most important thing of all is to concentrate fully on our work - whatever it may be - to be completely absorbed by it and to enter into it heart and soul and not to be easily satisfied, even if it is no more than simple housework.

The true artist works for work's sake, he is happy while he is creating; for him, the work itself is the highest reward because while at work he is in an exalted, illumined state.

It does not matter whether we sketch, paint, model, weave carpets or work Gobelins, play a musical instrument, go in for handicrafts or gardening, write poetry or books.

And from her book, Raja Yoga:

quote:
Every occupation that involves concentration is a pathway of Yoga. Every artist travels the Yoga path, for inspiration is a message from the OVERSELF. When the artist concentrates his entire attention on his work, he becomes more and more deeply engrossed in it and is thus enabled to bridge the gulf between his personal ego and higher spiritual planes. The path of Yoga is traveled by the scientist when, in his laboratory, he concentrates on his scientific problems...and by the acrobat when he learns to control the forces active within his body. Figure skaters, tight-rope walkers, tumblers and dancers all travel the path of Yoga, for they must achieve the art of moving according to the lines and laws of geometry. The path of Yoga is traveled by every one whose activity involves concentration, because concentration expands the consciousness.

Even the most talented musician can reach a higher degree of musical perfection through systematic training than if he were to play his instrument in his own way. Just so can we develop or consciousness much more quickly and attain a higher degree of perfection if we consciously and persistently apply the systems of Yoga that have been developed and perfected throughout hundreds of generations. The individual whose consciousness has been awakened and is longing to be freed from bondage wants to progress more rapidly. And he succeeds when he follows the directions and guidance of Yogis and Master who have attained this goal.

She herself, was an accomplished sculptor and painter, and of course, the author of several excellent yoga books with her collegue and student, Selvarajan Yesudian.

Best, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Aug 13 2007 1:49:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wow - great reading. Now I'll definitely read her books. Thanks for that.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogibear quoted:
quote:
There is nothing like creative work to facillitate progress and to help transform sexual energy into creative power and radiate it as spiritual energy. Let us then, work at something, what ever it may be. If we do so, we no longer need to worry about how to divert our thoughts. They are absorbed in work, without petty, personal awareness of the self. One is so closely bound up with the present that the thoughts, always linking past with future, cannot penetrate the continuous present. One automatically disconects oneself from time and space. We direct sexual energy automatically and instinctively into the higher centers where it operates as creative-magical power.

Hi YB, this is very interesting to me, particularly because I practice and have practiced Mindfulness for some years. Mindfulness, as you will know, could be described by the above paragraph you quoted.

The thing that drew me to AYP initially was the inclusion of tantra within the meditation practices. I found that mindfulness, for me at least, was not sufficient to transform sexual energy from base to higher levels. Ok, yes it was happening but it was too hit and miss for me.
I have tried to investigate the connection between mindfulness or "present moment living" and sexual transformation but have not had much success in terms of explainations. This seems to be a problem for people, such as me, who do not have an active sex life.

Does the book go into any more detail, that you can remember, about the way it works in the body.?

Louis
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

quote:
I have tried to investigate the connection between mindfulness or "present moment living" and sexual transformation but have not had much success in terms of explainations. This seems to be a problem for people, such as me, who do not have an active sex life.

Does the book go into any more detail, that you can remember, about the way it works in the body.?

Yes, to both parts of your quotes. This book is right up your alley, Louis.

She is teaching right handed tantra in this book and a very simple method of upleveling creative power for the purpose of spiritual growth. Of course it can be applied by lefties, too, but the effect, she says is not as powerful, if you have any fuel leaks. There is a fantastic explanation of the subject that you are interested in. It is stripped of any superfluous stuff which is part of what attracted me to AYP. It is just the nuts and bolts.

For me, the writing slides right in just like Yogani's. It is different but it is the same. I find that comparing and contrasting the two has helped me very much.

I would be curious to hear how reading the book effects you. You, too, meg.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am heavily into music and play mutiple instruments. I know that when I am sitting outside playing Native American Bamboo flutes or playing African djembes or whatever and I close my eyes I feel like I am in touch with some kind of implicate order...like I am probing areas of my mind that are the nexus for creativiy and creation. I've always felt it helpful to the yogic process.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000