Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Important Sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  2:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After reviewing the main sutras listed for Samyama practice, I have changed one of them (Unity) to Interbeing (I'm a long time student of Thich Nhat Hanh, who originally came up with the word) as it resonates better with me and I have also added both Gratitude and Forgiveness. As such, would you say that it is getting to be too many? Does it matter? By the way, thanks for writing the wonderful Samyama book Yogani!

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  08:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tam Phap

The nine sutras that Yogani suggests are presumably born out of his own experimentation and long experience.
When I looked at them first I was also curious about inserting different words and wondered about the selection.

I settled on the nine that Yogani suggests and they seem to work very well.
It seems nice to add something like Interbeing as this would be a direct link to your long standing tradition. In this way Yogani also suggests that samyama can be used with prayers and with words like Jesus or Divine Mother etc.

In the beginning however it might be advisable to try the nine recommended sutras untill you are stabilised in the practice of samyama. Once you feel the stability over a period then this is probably the time to experiment a little.

Wish you well
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm.. as a newbie to Samyama, I don't want to deviate from the original set of sutras if it is not a good idea... (initially, at least...). Yogani, as you formulated the original list of sutras, please could you comment?
Many thanks,
Phil
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  07:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bringing up this subject, Phil. I've been wondering if there's any particular reason that there are 9 sutras, and if it's preferable to stay at that #, or if it's just random. Wondering if you'd comment on that too, Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  10:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

There is no magic number of sutras, nor is there a perfect blend. The idea is to cover the full scope of the nervous system so outward flowing purification and opening via samyama can be accomplished in a broad-based way.

So, it isn't about any one sutra. It is about the blend. In AYP, we use 9 sutras for regular sitting samyama practice, 16 for cosmic samyama, and have other options for use in asanas, prayer, Patanjali sutra experiments, and in daily living. All of these applications are covered in the AYP Samyama book.

As for redesign, it is really up to the practitioner, but it is not recommended for beginners. It is preferable to have a solid foundation in practice (as in years) before attempting to redesign the practice. Nevertheless, we will all approach it in our own way. That is the nature of self-directed practice. Just don't ask me to do the redesign. You would be surprised how often I am asked to do this (a lot) -- redesign the AYP practices, or redesign someone else's teachings. Yikes!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000