Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra Repeating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WhiteCrane38

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteCrane38's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Victor, Jim......

Victor said..... One should repeat the mantra continuously

I think that some people would do just that "repeat continuously" for 20 minutes which leads me to the conclusion that they are making an "EFFORT", leaving no room for the natural process to begin. We all know that a sure fire way to obstruct meditation is via "EFFORT". The best way to get around this problem (in my experience)is to repeat the mantra at the start of your sitting and let it run!!! The mantra easily and naturally comes in and out of your consciousness because of the very fact that you have initiated this mechanical process, SIMPLE but true. There is really no need to analyze, fret, worry etc about anything, we have a natural talent for meditation and all we have to do is let the process evolve, give it space and you will be rewarded.

God Bless All!

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  3:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well any yogic activity involves effort, from sitting in a correct posture to doing a breathing practice, or a mantra. There is effort involved in every activity that we choose to do including being toilet trained or eating. When the effort begins to feel effortless is when the practice deepens but I would not consider the concept of effort as being contrary to meditation at all
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always done mantra meditation as Victor and Jim describe. I pick up the mantra, on ever quieter and quieter levels of the mind and repeat it as soon as I realize I am off. Sometimes that is pretty much right away if there aren't any other thoughts so I am repeating it continuously. Other times I realize I am off in thoughts and come back to the mantra. I don’t try to hold the mantra to the exclusion of all else and/ or block out the natural coming and going of thoughts.

The only exception to this is sometimes my repetition of the mantra is delayed if I am off in the blissful reverberations of the mantra. Should I come back earlier here if I realize I am off or can I let the reverberations take their coarse?

Yogani, this has been on my mind a lot recently, if this is incorrect can you please correct us?

thanks,

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

The only exception to this is sometimes my repetition of the mantra is delayed if I am off in the blissful reverberations of the mantra. Should I come back earlier here if I realize I am off or can I let the reverberations take their coarse?

Yogani, this has been on my mind a lot recently, if this is incorrect can you please correct us?

Hi Andrew:

We can pick up the mantra within the blissful reverberations, or as a blissful reverberation. Then we go from there. We pick up the mantra wherever we happen to be when we realize we are off it. This does not necessarily mean leaving or ending what is happening. It isn't even a shift, only a subtle favoring. We just go in from there.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  10:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, now I am really confused
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  10:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...Spiritual novices such as myself no doubt try to over-analyze the "simple" process of meditation. Nonetheless, during the procedure of mantra-meditation I still question whether my technique is correct or not. I suppose this questioning-stage will eventually disappear as I eventually become more adept at meditating?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  11:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for this really helpful clarification!

A
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  01:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mattimo, in meditation all of your analysis would be looked at as 'scenery". It what your mind is occupied with as you get used to the process. Nothing more or less important than that. just sit for the alotted time and repeat the mantra. If you find that your mind has strayed, just return to the mantra. Its as simple as that. when you are done and get up from your seat let the mantra go and bring your mind back to the world. All of this analysis is just the minds reaction to doing something new. It should pass with time. Don't worry too much if it was a "good" or a "correct" meditation. Just be sure that you sit for the alotted time in a regular daily practice. That is the important part.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent, Victor.
There is a small effort involved in starting or returning to the mantra.
But saying it just involves intent.

All the anal-yzing and wondering if it's right are efforts, though you may not realize it because they are the permutations or modifications of the mind that you do all day long.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  04:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Anthem11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andrew:

We can pick up the mantra within the blissful reverberations, or as a blissful reverberation. Then we go from there. We pick up the mantra wherever we happen to be when we realize we are off it. This does not necessarily mean leaving or ending what is happening. It isn't even a shift, only a subtle favoring. We just go in from there.

The guru is in you.

Isn't it the other way around, really? When I think I'm doing the mantra, "starting it off", it's ego controlling. When the mantra is "doing you" all by itself, it's ego being done by the mantra. Attachment to the mantra all along.

I AM the mantra. I AM the vibrations creating the mantra. Coming back to doing the mantra is dropping back into illusion, giving comfort.

Mantra is comfort and safety, having something that will lead you to the Source. As if ego is the center of the world, a real body-mind that is looking INTO the nothingness, receiving bliss experiences and are widening the consciousness. It is the other way around. I AM THAT, a timeless being, a leaf on the big tree, blessed with a human body-mind vehicle of sense-perception. I AM looking out through that body-mind vehicle to live life in duality. At home there's nothing, stillness, and no movement, it's vertical. It's still, it's timeless. I step into time to experience myself, the axes is turned linear and horizontal and I go into time.

What shall I do when I AM the mantra, Yogani?

*dancing tango here*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000