AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 parenting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glow

11 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  5:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit glow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i've been doing these practices for less than a year i'm currenting not a parent yet but something recently clicked for me and i've all of a sudden felt ready to have a child. for so long i had been so resistant to the idea and fearful fearful fearful that i would be a bad mother (alot of family of origin stuff has come up for me). not that i don't still struggle with these issues (they may always linger to some degree) but i'm not sure if doing these practices or because of alot of internal changes that have occured for me this year but there's been an opening for me and the idea of being a mother has become all of a sudden inspiring to me. although i feel "ready" (what is ready anyway??) i'm not sure if the time is right. i'm really realizing though that this is just another thing i need to let go of and turn over to the hands of God. if there is anything that i truly want to be in God's hands i wish this to be, so i'm just saying this outloud to help myself turn this over because there so much of my own will that wants to control, micromanage everything, etc.

is anyone doing these practices and pregnant or a parent. any reflections? i can say that i know that i'm so grateful for having these practices in my life. it's made such a difference for me already and i think that if i ever become a mother i'll be in a much better place than if i were not. peace to all

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  09:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glow:

There are lots of parents (and some grandparents) here in the forums, myself included.

Many are on summer vacation now, with their kids of course.
I am sure you will have more feedback when everyone returns.

Yoga practices and parenting are very compatible. The challenge of scheduling practices in a busy family life are more than made up for by the balance, inner wisdom and creative energy that are brought into the equation. The entire family benefits over the long term.

During pregnancy, it will be good to go lightly with yoga, particularly with physical practices, including pranayama. Prenatal yoga classes (very gentle) are popular these days and can be beneficial.

Enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

glow

11 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit glow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks yogani for your response. it was helpful and yes, hopefully more people will give feedback after these busy summer months. i'm so grateful for the benefits that these practices have given me and i know will continue to give me and my future family (if of course it is in God's will for me to start a family). also i've been doing samyama and i just finished your samyama book and there was something also so inspiring to me about the idea of being pregnant and doing samyama. the practices are really great- thanks!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
im only 20 and obviously dont have a child...but reading this made me wonder what of the effects of energy practices on a developing fetus? i dont mean necessarily that it is good or bad, but i wonder if ecstacy in the body is conducted by the fetus and if it is beneficial.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glow,
Welcome to the forum.
There have been discussions on pregnancy and yoga at the forum before.
pregnancy and kundalini...
And I agree with the women from my meditation group:
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#7673
All of them agree that they feel calmer during their daily life, the little irritations don't break them down, they are level headed when they react with their kids and better able to handle every day situations. .. one of them said, "I don't find it necessary to yell at my child anymore.. I can just talk to him and get things done... also a lot that seemed like it was a big deal.. I can just let it go now".

When you are centered and at peace with yourself.. it is very natural to become good at whatever you do.. including being a mom.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

glow

11 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  10:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit glow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks anthony and shanti. anthony, i was wondering the same thing and to be honest i've done some research on this subject and haven't found much on the internet. i'm curious about that too- but i'm sure it varies person to person... let me know if you find something
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi glow, welcome to the forum

I've been practicing AYP meditation for about a year and a half.
Prior to that I practiced zen type meditation and mindfulness (awareness practice)for a long time.
The children are now sixteen and almost eighteen.

I'm convinced that the only way to contribute to the growth of children is to change yourself. There are such strong connections between parent and child that any change the parent makes will also be made in the child.

I am totally sold on the AYP system so cannot think of a better offering to give ones child as a lifelong learning and education in the most important lifeskills, those leading to peace and love.

I see my son, who was schooled in an Irish Catholic school with all the usual ritual and rule orientated stuff, thought in a half hearted way by teachers who are generally only intereated in clocking in extra hours, religious studies is an easy option for this.

I see him looking at things through the eyes of awareness rather than the eyes of outdated Catholic teaching. I see all his friends have abondaned religion but have nothing to fill the void. No wonder so many Irish young men are commiting suicide (we have one of the highest rates in the world).

So yes, glow, you are definately on the right track, in my view.

Cheers
Louis
P.S. I don't wish to appear like I am church bashing. There are many many brilliant people in the church who are contributing greatly to spirituality in general. It just doesn't seem to be working for the young folk that I come across.

Go to Top of Page

glow

11 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  5:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit glow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks sparkle, i appreciate your honest contribution and that's certainly sad to hear that about irish men and suicide.
i have put so much faith into these practices and although not every day do i feel the amount of peace that i would like to, i do experience more peace and inner silence than before i began about 8 months ago. but i remember that i'm still new to this work and i have faith that with time much more love and peace will continue to flow in and through me in time. so i just continue to pray for patience and thank God for the willingness given to me everyday to sustain my practices. i like what you said about "the only way to contribute to the growth of children is to change yourself." i believe that i believe that extends to changing your entire world.

so thanks again sparkle and others!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000