Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Lucid Dreaming/Astral Projection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone else here is interested in Lucid Dreaming or Astral Projection?

I used to be heavily into it and had some success with Laberge's methods, although most of the time it was accidental! I however could not muster the will to get myself out of bed after 4-5 hours of sleep so I could not stick to the routine and I find my dream-mind is quite stubborn.

I have temporarily put aside my LD fixation in favor of yoga in the hope that increased awareness in waking life will hopefully carry over to the dream world and I will have increased success with lucid dreaming and astral projection.

Has anyone found their ability to achieve these states higher since doing AYP?

I read what Yogani says about random astral projections, but I am talking more about intentional. I used to just want to fly around and quell my teenage hormonal fantasies...however now I think it would be rather incredible to explore my spirituality within the implicate realm!

Edited by - anthony574 on Jul 08 2007 5:33:36 PM

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  11:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello anthony574,

I used to have an interest in lucid dreaming and astral projection, but like you, I have opted to pursue yoga primarily. I wouldn't be surprised if in practicing yoga for a few years we were able to achieve the lucid dreaming state and astrally project with relative ease. I imagine we would still need the techniques to achieve these states (i.e. alarm clock method) unless we somehow managed to progress monumentally with our yoga practice in the stipulated time-frame.

I have read much about lucid dreaming and astral projection and have had a noteworthy experience or two. However, I was never able to experience/induce anything consistently.

Have you read about or tried the following techniques to achieve astral projection / lucidity during dreams?:

Phasing - This technique relies on, relaxing the body and mind and with closed eyes, observing what is occurring in one's body and also observing what is occuring in your closed-eyed field of vision. One is not to identify or be engrossed with what occurrs; a sensation here and there, a flash of light perceived with closed eyes, etc - but to just be aware. Purportedly with this technique one is able to "phase" into the astral realm.

Robert Bruce NEW - This technique relies on cultivating energy in the body or perhaps cultivating non-resistance to said energy, achieving trance state, and using a visualization technique while in trance state to achieve projection.

Reality Checking - This technique suggests making a habit of asking oneself whether or not one is dreaming, in normal reality. The idea is that if a habit is formed, one might do this reality checking in the dream state and become cognizant of the fact one is dreaming.

Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  1:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard of reality checking and phasing, although it was called something different...more of an astral projection technique.

I mainly get my technique ideas from Stephen Laberge, and the websites www.dreamviews.com and www.ld4all.com

I used to do a sort of bastardized version of Mneumonic Induction, combing it with Wake Induction, MILD and WILD if you are familiar with those terms. I have had two full-on LD's...but they were accidents and occured actually because I had horrible indigestion. Since I have become veg I don't get it anymore and no more LDs...:(
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  4:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall one time slipping into some kind of state one night while I was at the computer. I was tired, and the past few weeks were spent gazing at flowers and similar objects outside.

While looking at the screen my eyes would go into different focuses, similar to when I was gazing. Then the colors and images seemed to enlarge and then blur, and eventually change into different moving images from my memory. I turned off my monitor and played with this transition for about an hour.

During this time I noticed that if I let the eyes relax and relax and relax, they would eventually change focus, and what felt subjectively to me like, turn off. If I stayed in that state it would eventually move into some in between state. The in between state was unstable. There was a strong tendency to become alarmed or excited when it occurred. Before my concentration puttered out there was a time where I was hovering in that point where the eyes were fluttering on and off, in and out of focus of nothing in particular.

Being relaxed at the time, as well as having the clarity of focus from gazing, allowed me a brief window to explore the mind in a new way. To me it felt like something that could be scientifically explored by the conscious mind, like a window that would always be there if approached in a similar way.

Felt to me like I was watching intently through the eyes, with such focus, that they began to relax, and so proceeded to watch the watching eye slowly dissolve into some interesting modes of function/non function. Haven't remembered it until I read this thread. And I think I wrote about it at the time on the boards here.

Training the mind to inquire as to its state, dream or waking, seemed to me a fantastic and exciting method to employ. I might get my timer and have go off every 3 hours, at which time I will inquire as genuinely and sincerely as possible what my state is.

Edited by - Kyman on Jul 10 2007 4:32:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  05:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anybody know about possible dangers of "lucid dreaming" ?

I am asking because my son (age 16) is very curious about it
and keeps pushing me that he wants to try.
I have now orderd a MP3-audio file: 30 minutes of pulsating sounds
which are supposed to help you entering into the right state of mind.

I am a bit unsure what effects this could have on my son.
My tendency is to let him try, but I have another younger son (age 13)
who got also exited about lucid dreaming by his elder brother ...
(they are browsing the internet for all kind of information about
lucid dreaming).

looking forward to you comments

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no danger in my opinion. the only thing i can think of is addiction to it...but it is extremely unlikely that one, especially young, could achieve a lucid dream even semi-reliably. You enter into the dreamworld every night, so whats the difference if you KNOW you are there, right?

I would simply be aware of your childrens' mentalities about LDing and if they are using it as an escapism and if it iwll lead to a withdrawl from the "real world". If they are using it simply as a nightly habit I think it would be fine.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  2:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Wolfgang, this subject and question has been covered pretty extensively before over in other systems of spiritual practice where this topic should really be.
here is a link to a good thread..

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=2447#2447
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  12:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Lancer Wolf

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  01:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lancer Wolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall an astral projection story from somewhere concerning Paramahansa Yogananda and I think a secretary of his(I could be wrong about the particulars, I only have a vague recollection of the story).

I believe the gist of it was that Yogananda's secretary(?) was very much into astral projection and the like and continued along that path despite Yogananda's warnings against it. Apprently, the secretary got themselves into some serious danger/trouble during an astral projection and Yogananda himself had to come save/protect his secretary from some extremely negative forces encountered during the projection.

Doesn't seem like astral projection is such a good idea. Lucid dreaming on the other hand, I don't know. Of course, take this story with a dose of intelligent discernment and a grain of salt.

Edited by - Lancer Wolf on Aug 20 2007 02:41:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  12:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I tend to think Yogananda is a bit too...guruish. If one is compelled to explore the realms that we enter every single night 4-5 times I really do not see the harm. It is built into us this ability to enter the astral during the night and to supress the urge, especially if it comes naturally as it does to many people seems foolish.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  1:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

Well, I tend to think Yogananda is a bit too...guruish. If one is compelled to explore the realms that we enter every single night 4-5 times I really do not see the harm. It is built into us this ability to enter the astral during the night and to supress the urge, especially if it comes naturally as it does to many people seems foolish.

If there is an urge, it might be or might become an obsession,
and then it would not be healthy IMO.
When you speak of an urge, do you mean an urge like
needing to go to toilet ?

I believe also, that in my sleep I do go to the astral realms,
but I do not feel that I have an urge to go there consciously,
meaning: I probably go there, but I am not aware that I do,
and I do not seek to go there (at least not frequently).
Now, exploring the astral realms may be interesting,
but it is just scenery, nothing to get obsessed with.
The problem is, how to find out when it becomes
an obsession ...
Go to Top of Page

mikael

27 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  8:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the only way to attract negative entities in the astral is through fear. maybe that is why yogananda was warning his secretary, because she just wasn't ready for it psychologically. there are many misconceptions about astral traveling, to clear them up i suggest you read Robert Bruce, he is a master when it comes to these subjects. the book Astral Dynamics is filled with knowledge on every page, he also has much info on his site http://www.astraldynamics.com
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  11:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

If there is an urge, it might be or might become an obsession,
and then it would not be healthy IMO.
When you speak of an urge, do you mean an urge like
needing to go to toilet ?

I believe also, that in my sleep I do go to the astral realms,
but I do not feel that I have an urge to go there consciously,
meaning: I probably go there, but I am not aware that I do,
and I do not seek to go there (at least not frequently).
Now, exploring the astral realms may be interesting,
but it is just scenery, nothing to get obsessed with.
The problem is, how to find out when it becomes
an obsession ...

by urge, i mean feeling compelled to explore the astral

and as far as obsession, as long as you maintain it as a strictly nocturna activity taking place during your usual sleeping hours id say its healthy. i think a healthy person could gauge when AP is interfering with their lives. yoga could just as easily become an obsession of the same nature.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000