AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Some doubts about tbe traditional Kriya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kriya144

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kriya144's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, Thokar,
I would ask you something.
I practice kriya since a couple of years, but i have some doubts. As you I prefer to practice in a very hard mode, a couple of hourse per sitting.
As you can see in www.yoganiketan.com( a site dedicated to original LahiriĀ“s Kriya) in the garland of letters all LahiriĀ“s disciples practice pranayama a lot of hours per sitting. After that the were absorbed automatically in a deep silence for a lot of hours without the need to use another technique to penetrate in a deep silence.
I have some fear because Srf says that it is dangerous to practice too much pranayama. What do you think about this?? Can you talk me about your own experience??

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
kriya144,

I think the one of the main reason SRF tries to tell people not to do alot of kriyas is because their kriya is done breathing through the mouth... Now I have practiced both that way and the original way from the Lahiri Mahasaya lineage... I dont know if you've ever tried to do more than about 108 kriyas with mouth breathing but I can tell you that your throat will get dry and sore... I probably wouldn't recommend doing more than about 100 kriyas that way... By doing kriya with the breathing through the nose and especially with kechari is a different story... I've been able to do very large numbers of kriya's in that way..As you've read yourself Lahiri's students did huge amounts of kriya.. And those are the people that advanced very far also... Perhaps one reason all the SRF members nowadays aren't reaching the breathless stage and eventually samadhi is that 36 kriya's twice a day just isn't enough to get it done... Everyone has a different opinion on this but I know that to be decent at something you have to practice regularly but to be Great at something you have to practice like a machine...Thats my theory on kriya anyway.... And in my personal experience I have never had any negative experiences because of too much kriya... Actually quite the opposite is true and some of my longest kriya sessions have receieved by far the best results..
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

kriya144

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  02:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit kriya144's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your quick reply friend. It has been very useful for me.
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started practicing kriya 2.5 years ago, I was a little over enthusiastic about practicing and would practice for about 2 hours in a sitting, each day... even on the bus to and from work. This was way too much for someone who was completely new with the techniques -- I experienced terrible pain in my brain and brain-stem (like energy headaches). The pain wouldn't go away until I fell asleep and awoke the next morning, but then I'd do it all over again. Practice made me extremely relaxed, my perceptions began to shift, and I felt wonderful -- except for the painful "headaches". Then one day, despite the pain, I practiced even harder... and all of a sudden I felt 3 terrifying jolts of electricity-like energy shoot up from the base of my spine to the lumbar region. It scared the bejeezus out of me... so I stopped for awhile and when I started again a week later, I kept my practice minimal and slowly increased my practice time/rounds over time. Now I practice for several hours and STILL I want more! It's all really relative, but it doesn't sound like SRF allows a person to progress in a way that incorporates their individual capabilities. However, I now understand why they don't want people to start with 108 rounds!
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  5:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, as a side note... I'm not an SRF/ananda member. I practiced Satyananda Saraswati kriya yoga, but now I practice Lahiri Mahasaya kriya.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000