Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Any athiest here?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I once attended a talk titled "What is God?" by Mukundananda, a disciple of Kripaluji Maharaj. In that he mentioned God is nothing but sachidananda i.e. sat-chit-ananda (truth-beingness-bliss). Now if that's the definition of god, isn't that what AYP practice is leading us to. The truth, knowledge about Self and permanent bliss. Then how can you say you are an athiest?

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  7:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.

I would bet that a lot of athiests just don't believe the definition of God that is put out there by so many organized western religions. And I agree with them on that.
So many religions claim some kind of exclusive connection to God. Then some say God is love, and love thine enemy. But if you don't follow "God's word", you will be tortured forever. No wonder there are so many athiests!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  3:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Your brain is God"

-Timothy Leary

:)
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  1:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

"Your brain is God"

-Timothy Leary

How do one interpret this? If this were to be true should one devote themselves to understand the brain? Now how about surrendering to the brain, that seems wierd.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that "revelation" was derived from taking psychedelic drugs. Since your brain interprets your perception, and drugs make radical uncontrollable adjustments to your perception, one can be fooled into thinking your brain is God.
The problem is, your brain is immersed in illusion, and drugs can't control whether you perceive illusion or truth. That is up to your bhakti and will, which can easily be put on hold by drugs.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  8:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, it is a quote that basically says that YOU are God, or rather one of the many manifestations of God. The brain in this case is a metaphor for You or your essence.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gentlep

I once attended a talk titled "What is God?" by Mukundananda, a disciple of Kripaluji Maharaj. In that he mentioned God is nothing but sachidananda i.e. sat-chit-ananda (truth-beingness-bliss). Now if that's the definition of god, isn't that what AYP practice is leading us to. The truth, knowledge about Self and permanent bliss. Then how can you say you are an athiest?

Hi Gentlep,

In my experience and awareness, one of the greatest obstacles to realization (awareness of your true nature, your true self) is belief.

Any belief.

"I believe in God" or "I don't believe in God" are both statements which keep the illusion of the ego-self in place. Prisoners and guards are both stuck in prison.

That's why the Bhagavad Gita says, "From attachment and aversion be freed" ... either attachment or aversion, toward a concept of God, or anything else, will keep you stuck in the illusion.

Yoga is not about belief, it is about practice.

Yoga allows you to know reality, to know yourself, and to not have to rely on anyone else's word regarding the nature of reality, or your self.

Hope this helps.

"Peace Out"; or rather "Peace IN",

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answer kirtanman. That was an intriguing thought.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gentlep

I am in agreement with Kirtanman about beliefs. Also from my experience I have seen that once the ball of beliefs is allowed to unravel down to the core then I see that I am left with nothing. The beliefs I had were based on thoughts I had held onto about everything and anything including what I believed God was. The only belief I can really validate for myself now is that I exist. Once the obstructions are cleared and there is nothing in the way then truth begins to be revealed about what is this.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

"Your brain is God"

-Timothy Leary

Hi Anthony,

Here is another way to conceptualize the brain:

"According to Jnana Yoga, the human being consists of three parts: body, mind and soul. The soul is the SELF, the never disappearing, eternally shining, divine spark which is liberated in death from its earthly envelope of dust and continues its existence on a higher plane. The mind is the seat of the emotional and instinctive life, a little storage house of instincts, and the subconscious little Self which connects the perfect immaterial soul with the imperfect material body.

In other words, the mind is the cloak of the soul, its semi-material, invisible garment, the storage battery of prana and cosmic rays, in contrast to our miraculously complicated, thoroughly material, precision radio transitter and receiver, the brain. This wonder instrument receives the animating love vibrations of the GREAT TRANSMITTER and, within its smaller range, enables us to contact and exhange thoughts with other human minds."

From Yoga and Health by Yesudian and Haich

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am an atheist because AYP doesn't do anything for me.
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I am an atheist because AYP doesn't do anything for me.

Why are you here then gumpi?
With Peace,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me for sounding negative before. I am here because i know that God is but i don't have much tangible proof of it or i don't seem to want to know it. In any case, i have decided that Yogananda is my guru so i am going to follow his teachings now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000