New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  03:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mattimo

Is it better to increase the duration of each individual asana-set (out of 14)? Or is it better to increase the number of times I cycle through the entire 14-set routine?

Hi Mattimo,
I gather you are asking whether you should do the 14-set and repeat the entire lot to increase duration. If I have understood this right, then the way to augment the asanas is increase the duration of each individual asana, or the number of rotations, or whatever it takes to complete it. Doing asana A through J and then coming back to A isn't a good idea at all.

However, if you have begun the asanas just a few months ago, I wouldn't be thinking of increasing anything so soon. Because ideally you'd have started with a couple of the 14 and gradually added on one by one, depending on how you're progressing.
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  11:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kindly, that answered my question.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  12:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mattimo

Now, if I choose to increase the duration of the routine, what is the best way of going about that?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mattimo,

A very good method is to do one pose twice before moving on to the next. The second time you will be able to go just a little bit deeper into the pose and the pose will be a little easier for you to perform. You can rest for 10-30 seconds between reps or what ever feels right.

With regards to hatha yoga and breathing:

There are so many different ways that different hatha yoga systems combine breathing with the poses. I've done most of them. So who is right? Well, to me, your body is. It knows what is best for it and if you let it do the breathing, it will breath perfectly. The only thing you have to do is stay out of the way.

Simply feel your body, feel your breath. When you relax, let go of every last muscle and nerve. Let your body breathe all by itself. Like a baby sleeping in a crib. It will do it perfectly. Just watch. Simple awareness. Don't complicate it.

Watch a dog or a cat and see how they enjoy a stretch when they wake up and let your body do the same when you do the poses.

You just keep easily going thru these principles according to your comfortable capacity when performing the poses. Gradually they will become second nature. And be sure to always follow the number one rule of yoga, stay within your comfortable capacity.

Hope you find something here that helps.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  9:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your insights.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000