Delicate Subject; require advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading posts on the forum for awhile now, have purchased several of Yogani's books and read them and am now serious about dedicating myself to following a long-term practice routine. On the one hand, I am excited to venture into this new-to-me territory; however, I must admit, I am also somewhat frightened for the following reason:

Circumstances in my youth were not the greatest. The dynamics that existed in my family were such that a lot of anger was present. I was angry all the time. I was stressed out all the time. I thought to myself all the time. This lead me to find escape through working multiple jobs concurrently while also going to school which as you can imagine, only led to more stress. This in turn, compelled me, to try some certain "natural" substances albeit with a somewhat guilty conscience, but also under the guise of a clever rationale: to find out more about the nature of reality. This justification I wittily conjured up for myself was party truth, but the fact remained, it was mainly an escape.

Now, I did indeed become somewhat obsessed with yearning to discover more about reality. The problem was, however, I did it in an obsessive-thought based way (clearly the opposite of cultivating inner silence). My practice of thinking about reality I partook in while under the influence of natural substances and also not under the influence eventually had the effect of making my thoughts speed up DRAMATICALLY. I had never-before experienced anything like this...I could think at light speed (really fast) and it was rather fun. I used this alteration of consciousness to look at the world, my life, etc, in a different light. However, much to my horror, I eventually couldn't stop thinking, which led me to become paranoid, have an ego-inflation, believe unbelievable things, and so forth.

To make a long story short, I eventually came to realize the fallacy in my thinking and actions, suffered somewhat of a break-down and had to resort to mainstream medicine to aid my recuperation for a few months. It has been a little more than a year than all of this occurred but the effects are still noticeable, especially physically. For example, I have skin crawling sensations and other bizarre internal movements and muscle twitches accompanied by extreme muscle tension - especially at the base of my skull. As well as a general lack of fatigue. Also my mind is somewhat chaotic; in a non-delusional sort of way (just cluttered).

A few things to note:

There was a brief period during the beginnings of my experience where when I began to start thinking I received somewhat of a jolt in my head. At that point I felt awake, more awake than I ever had before.
I could breathe more deeply and enjoy the air more than I ever had before. I felt infused with energy. I mention this because I believe it could be the result of me accidentally stirring up and/or unbalancing energies of the body

Now, I am rather worried that during the process of meditation my racing-mind might reemerge. At which point, I don't know what I would do. My tendency, based on my past experience, would likely be to be consumed by my chaotic mind. Would anyone care to present their views on this scenario? Perhaps, in this situation I could just do extra meditation to get past this potential barrier.

Reflectively, I am rather appreciative for this daunting experience because it made me realize the effects of my issues and what can happen if they are not resolved. I tend to think that the natural substances amplified that chaos that was brewing in me. Yet, I wasn't able to come to terms with it, until it was blown out of proportion.

So, I realize this is a rather extreme post here but I would sincerely appreciate any insight / recommendations that anyone here could offer.

Thanks

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  12:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and welcome.

What you're describing (and the way you're describing it) is pure anxiety. Regardless of the facts of what happened before, that's where you're at now. And if you're super anxious, meditation might not be for you....right now. Meditation is a very fine-tuning practice. If you enter it with tons of anxiety and a very fast-racing mind, it can increase one's anxiety level.

Meditation actually does help (a lot!) with anxiety, but if you have a LARGE amount of anxiety, you may need coarser methods to fix the larger problems before you can use meditation to fine tune.

So....I'd suggest a serious course of asana study with a good teacher (I like the Iyengar method, which is very precise and safe, and the teachers are well-trained). It will make the "big" adjustments, calm you down, relax you, and tone down some of that chaotic mind.

That's what I did...for two or three years....before I started my present meditation habit. And the meditation has been extremely productive, with extremely fast-paced results, because (in part) the asana work prepared me for it.

That's my suggestion. Do that, get your energy more together, and then, when you're feeling relatively calm (you'll know, don't worry!), try meditation for just a couple minutes per day (start slow). Nice and slow and easy. Follow Yoganji's self-pacing directions to an extreme. And read his entire AYP book, so you have a feel for how to proceed.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  7:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo,

Your neck tension, find a good chiropractor.

If you feel inclined to meditation, to me, it is OK to start now. If not wait until you are ready. After all, the purpose of meditation is to calm you down, way down. But just simple. Easy does it, steady as she goes. Self pace. No expectations. No pressure on your self. Meditation seems to always cool me out, really nicely, especially if I take time for relaxation afterwards. That is really important.

One time a bolt of energy released from the base of my spine, catapulted up my spine and jolted the top of my head (pow). Possibly this is what happened to you and you just did not perceive the release from down below. Just a thought.

Also, spinal breathing is supposed to be really good for balancing out the energy flow and purify the sushumna.

You have read the books, just apply the fundamentals according to your comfortable capacity.

The tortoise wins the race.

Asanas are also awesome. I am a big asana fan like Jim.

Wish you well, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you taking the time to read my post and reply,

Jim and His Karma:

There is no doubt about it, I am well aware that I do have anxiety issues. However, during this year I have reflected greatly on this and myself in general. I have done much to try and remain healthy (mentally and physically - although somewhat to no avail) but feel as if I have calmed down considerably since my experience. What happened to me, I believe, was nervous tensions compounding for years which had never been released up until that point. My body and mind do still seem to remain at a point / points of tension, but I am confident I can overcome this since I am young and have the rest of my life to try and achieve it.

I have adhered to the meditation practice, for 10 days or so now, and for the last 2 days extended my practice time considerably. I am aware this isn't necessarily advised but I cannot even begin to describe the relief I felt from meditating longer and more frequently. I could immediately feel bodily tension just sinking away (as best I can explain it). This was also accompanied by greater clarity of mind, which led me to ask the question I did in the previous post. My fear, I imagine, of something similar to my previous experience happening again, rationally emerged from my mind under the light of this newly-experienced clarity. Albeit, a very tiny ounce of quasi-clarity that pails in comparison to the true clarity all of you long-term practitioners out there have achieved. I suppose my fear is still a manifestation of anxiety - no matter how one looks at it. Perhaps it would be best all-together to not give any credence to such thoughts and to accept the fact that nearly everything is an "unknown" for me at this point. Perhaps I should be okay with that and flow with that. Then again, maybe I should just not think all-together; that would be best - no?

I appreciate your advice with regards to the asana study, I may undertake that. I have been running regularly and stretching for 45 minutes after but have lapsed because of lack of energy. Perhaps I will tone down the running and do more stretching / formal asanas.

yogibear:

I have been to chiropractors before and it does temporarily feel good. Nonetheless, in my case, bone adjustments don't do much to remedy the underlying muscle tensions in my body. Massage is pleasant also, but again, it only produces a temporary feel-good experience for me since my muscles are not just tight - they are REALLY TIGHT. Getting to the point that I really can't bare to feel so horrible any longer.

As for the spinal breathing, of course I will venture there soon. But not yet, since I don't feel quite ready. Perhaps in a month or two.

Thanks again

Edited by - Mattimo on Jun 30 2007 10:22:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  01:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In your case I'd lay off the running and opt for walking. Running can increase the stress and energy issues.

Asanas aren't really about stretching. They just look like that to the observer.
Go to Top of Page

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  03:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Jim's advice. If you can get into a good asana routine it will completely prepare you for meditation. Your muscle tension problem will likely be taken care of without the need for a chiropractor. It is much more than stretching. It can work wonders. Good luck with your spiritual progress.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  05:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In your case I'd lay off the running and opt for walking. Running can increase the stress and energy issues.

Asanas aren't really about stretching. They just look like that to the observer.

What are they really about Jim? I mean what do they do that a good exercise and stretching prgramme wouldn't do?
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  07:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo,

Sorry to hear that chiropractic hasn't helped. When you only get temporary relief, it can be because a few things:

The chiropractor is not on the right bone.

If they are on the right bone, they are not adjusting it in the right direction.

And it can be that there were not enough adjustments given.

Or that there was too much time in between the adjustments for the effect to accumulate.

So you see, it can be a number of factors, including the individual chirpractor's skill level. It varies from person to person, just like any thing else.

I don't have enough info to understand your situation fully. I don't know if you have gone repetitively to the chiropractor over a period of time. If you go only one time, you can say, "oh, it didn't help." But that could be wrong. And that would be unfortunate if it was in fact the solution.

Often, you need a treatment program because the effect of chiropractic is cummulative and the nervous system needs to be retrained over a period of time so that the muscles receive the proper messages and contract and relax as they should.

So all these factors need to be in play for the outcome to be successful. If one of them is missing, it can prevent the desired result.

And of course, it can be that chiropractic is not the answer for your neck tension and that the cause is elsewhere.

You know best.

Chiropractic is more about optimizing nerve function than anything else. In fact, chiropractic and yoga asanas are the perfect compliment.

Asanas can be aggravating to the spine as well. When there is a problem in the spine, you can hurt it more with asanas. So, in your case, if you decide to take up asanas, to be safe, be extra careful if you are doing the headstand, shoulderstand, plow or fish or any other asana that focuses alot of stress on the neck region. But like I said before, I am a big fan.

Good luck, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Jul 01 2007 11:15:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mattimo

I have adhered to the meditation practice, for 10 days or so now, and for the last 2 days extended my practice time considerably. I am aware this isn't necessarily advised but I cannot even begin to describe the relief I felt from meditating longer and more frequently. I could immediately feel bodily tension just sinking away (as best I can explain it).

Hi Mattimo:

It is suggested to focus on developing a steady routine that you can stay with for the long term. The approach you are taking with deep meditation will not do that for you, because you are almost certain to run into large releases by greatly increasing meditation time and frequency. Keep in mind that there is often a time delay in the effects, so you are heading for an overdose, and I suggest scaling back immediately.

Much better to become stable with two times 15-20 minutes. If that proves to be good for you over a month or two, then consider light spinal breathing (a few minutes before meditation), which provides for balanced energy cultivation.

As for asanas, these are very good too, in moderation, and well integrated with other practices. As Jim says, asanas can be a good place to start in yoga, but not everyone is inclined to do that. Follow your inner inclination, but use good common sense also. The AYP writings attempt to provide reasonable guidance for a full range yoga practices.

People come to AYP from many different backgrounds (asanas, breathing, kundalini, tantra, self inquiry, drugs*, etc.), and it always boils down to each person finding their own balance while integrating new and powerful methods of yoga into a progressive, stable and safe daily routine. It takes time, with prudent self-pacing being necessary every step along the way.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

*PS: On the drug angle, see my recent post here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2702#23513
The spiritual inspiration sometimes provided by drugs is often offset by the obstacles that are introduced, as you well know. Yoga practices will help you dissolve the obstructions, but be very careful not engage in yoga practices in excessive ways, for this can lead to additional difficulties. In yoga, as with many things, more can be less, and less can be more. Keep it in mind.
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies everyones. I think it would be prudent for me to finish reading the lessons, and the asana books. Yes, I rather figured that I may be overdoing my practice, but my ability to withstand this jarring tension, especially in my neck, is at it's threshold; so much so that it is even challenging to meditate as well as do day to day activities. I have even attempted to manually release the tension from my neck via self-massage, for hours daily at a time - and the relief I felt was very, very minimal. As everyone can imagine, therefore, my desire to remedy this physical set-back is the main reason for my extending the duration and frequency of my meditations. However, I suppose I should be logical about it and I have thus decided to back off from over-practice.

yogibear: I have indeed tried multiple chiropractic sessions and it did not help in the slightest. I have to come to believe that for me, chiropractic isn't an effective form of treatment.

Jim and His Karma: Yes, I am aware of the theory that asanas are different from stretching in that specific postures calm the nervous system considerably. This may well be the case, and I will likely give them a go.

At this point, I am also considering taking up a qi-gong / tai-chi practice as well. That is, for the relaxation benefits. Anyone care to recommend a good style and form?

*Yogani, a special thanks for replying so quickly both here and in the email. I greatly appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  5:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this is good without over stressing the neck and joints but very relaxing and mildy energisinf for me.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mattimo wrote:
quote:
yogibear: I have indeed tried multiple chiropractic sessions and it did not help in the slightest. I have to come to believe that for me, chiropractic isn't an effective form of treatment.

I don't have much faith in pure chiropractic myself, but how well it works is highly dependent on the practitioner. The basic premise of chiropractry is flawed in my opinion because the reason bones stay mis-aligned is because muscles are holding them there. That's one reason multiple sessions are needed.

So it is imperative to understand massage and how to cause the muscles to relax and accept the correct alignment of the bones. Some chiropractors can do this, and they are very good, but they are rare. The strange thing is, there is no special name for the science of the integration of muscles and bone re-alignment, and very often these people can be called masseuses rather than chiropractors.

In fact the bone re-alignment can often be done completely through massage without "cracking" the bones at all. I think this more whole-istic approach
is in its infancy and is ahead of its time.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

quote:

What are they really about Jim? I mean what do they do that a good exercise and stretching prgramme wouldn't do?

Hi Christi,
Exercises are usually only on a physical plane. Asanas are combined with breathing techniques (many schools of asans recommend ujjai breathing with the asanas- the kind of breathing we do in the ayp spinal pranayama) and awareness. Therefore, asanas augment the cleansing process (as Jim suggested, at a somewhat grosser level than deep meditation and pranayama), as opposed to plain stretching exercises that work on the grossest and most superficial physical layer of the body.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The two aren't always clearly separated though. Many people have had kundalini experiences while doing simple backbends.
Go to Top of Page

karmamechanic

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit karmamechanic's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mattimo, I find that qigong is an excellent practice for grounding my energy and supporting my AYP practice. Wuji qigong is the form I use, as taught by Francesco and Daisy Garripoli; I participated in a wonderful two-day workshop they offered here last summer and have been working with their Qigong for Beginners DVD ever since (here's a link: http://www.wujiproductions.com/prod...ners-dvd.htm). Typically, I do about ten minutes of qigong before and after my I AM meditation.

Sadhak, you make an excellent point about how asanas without breathwork are just stretching exercises. I've never practiced yoga asanas consistently, but it seems to me that qigong moves integrated with breathwork may accomplish the same purpose as asanas. Yogani, what do you think about this? You write in AYP that you've practiced tai chi (a form of qigong) for decades. Do the benefits of qigong/tai chi differ from those of asanas? If so, how?

What a wonderful forum this is! Be well, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, the system I do - iyengar yoga - doesn't do ujaya breathing in asanas. No special breathwork at all, though one does of course breathe during the poses :)

christi, first, on the physical level, there are just as many poses that work on strength and balance as work on stretching. On an energetic level, these poses do the same sort of energetic work and purification that meditation does, only at a grosser, coarser level. Just doing generic "stretches" will not have this effect. The poses were conceived by spiritual giants, and they have remarkable effect on body/mind/spirit. If you're full of anxiety, energy or emotional problems, or disease, asanas will quickly (i.e. in a year or two or three, if practiced daily) work through that stuff and clear you out to the point where you can sit and meditate without much mental/emotional/physical distraction.

And this has historically been the purpose of asanas. Traditionally, this is where you start an adept, and once s/he starts meditation, asana practice is de-emphasized and used strictly as a health thing, as the meditation starts doing the fine tuning work, after the coarser work of asanas has been done.

AYP believes that meditation is appropriate even for beginners. But anyone with a LOT of anxiety, emotional, physical, and/or mental problems is going to stress out trying to sit still and repeat a mantra for 20 minutes...it will be counterproductive. Asana is the answer. Not that it's just some remedial course to get "prepared"....it's not...it does the work, just with coarser sandpaper, which is useful for just about anyone starting out. I wouldn't trade my three years of super intense asana work for anything, it REALLY launched me properly in the meditation that came after....not to mention transformed me from a physical/emotional wreck into someone more or less functional...who was then able to use meditation to find peace and happiness.

I've posted a lot more about asana, don't have time to find it, but here's something to take a look at: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2173

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jul 03 2007 10:59:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karmamechanic

Sadhak, you make an excellent point about how asanas without breathwork are just stretching exercises. I've never practiced yoga asanas consistently, but it seems to me that qigong moves integrated with breathwork may accomplish the same purpose as asanas. Yogani, what do you think about this? You write in AYP that you've practiced tai chi (a form of qigong) for decades. Do the benefits of qigong/tai chi differ from those of asanas? If so, how?

Hi Karmamechanic:

There is overlap in effects between asanas and tai chi, but there is a distinction. Tai chi is mostly grounding with some inner opening, while asanas are mostly inner opening with some grounding. This is why tai chi is good for helping to stabilize energy difficulties, and asanas are a good preparation for sitting practices, including spinal breathing pranayama and deep meditation.

As for breathwork during asanas, it is not specifically recommended in AYP, due to the possible "doubling up" effect with spinal breathing and other pranayamas used in sitting practices. Too much pranayama (with possible delayed effect) can lead to excessive purification and its associated physical and emotional discomforts. In AYP we suggest gentle awareness of natural breathing and body positions during asanas. We also have a samyama method that can be used as an alternative during asanas with good results -- it is provided in the AYP Samyama book.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: It can also be said that tai chi (and Taoist methods in general) finds its origin in martial arts, while yoga postures have their origin in being aimed at relaxing and opening the sushumna (spinal nerve). The difference in origin may account for the variations in both practice and effects between these two systems. The overlaps are apparent, as are the differences.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  11:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

[quote]

As for breathwork during asanas, it is not specifically recommended in AYP, due to the possible "doubling up" effect with spinal breathing and other pranayamas used in sitting practices.

Oh no! Yogani, I just realized...I'm following an exercise protocal from the book Mind, Body, Sport (I posted about it a few weeks ago). It recommends doing all exercise (aerobic, weight lifting, etc) with slow, calm, very deep inhale and ujiya exhale, and with mouth closed. It's real smart and very helpful (I can get up lots of stairs without getting winded, weight training's more intense, I don't get as "anguished" while running). But I'm doing this 45 mins day or more every single day....so, yes, "doubling up" has to be an issue!

And now....I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  09:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim

Thanks for clarifying about the asana practice thing. I can see that adding pranayama to asana practice makes it into a powerful yogic practice. But I guess most people who do asanas don't do this. If you are doing it, and it is causing doubling up problems, why not go back to gental asana practice with no combined breathwork?

You could be on a winner.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

[quote]

As for breathwork during asanas, it is not specifically recommended in AYP, due to the possible "doubling up" effect with spinal breathing and other pranayamas used in sitting practices.

Oh no! Yogani, I just realized...I'm following an exercise protocal from the book Mind, Body, Sport (I posted about it a few weeks ago). It recommends doing all exercise (aerobic, weight lifting, etc) with slow, calm, very deep inhale and ujiya exhale, and with mouth closed. It's real smart and very helpful (I can get up lots of stairs without getting winded, weight training's more intense, I don't get as "anguished" while running). But I'm doing this 45 mins day or more every single day....so, yes, "doubling up" has to be an issue!

And now....I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?

Hi Jim:

It is important to recognize that similar practices, derived from different sources, done in the same day, have cumulative effects. The effects may be delayed...

If adverse symptoms arise, self pace accordingly. Better yet, anticipate possible effects beforehand, and tread carefully.

More can be less, and less can be more.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you're misunderstanding me! :)

Let me try to clarify, so if it's the latter hopefully things will be clearer.

I do not add pranayama to asana practice....I say that flatly above. Some people do, but my system (Iyengar) does not. And it's a very powerful practice in and of itself, but there's no doubling-up issue because it doesn't involve pranayama-like breathing.

I AM using a pranayama-like breath during running and weight-lifting. And I'm not sure it's causing a doubling-up effect, though i have suspicions. I asked Yogani for advice on this.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've started a new thread about ujiya breathing during exercise (which is pretty digressive from the original intent of this particular discussion). You can see it at http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2732

I've reprinted the latter exchange between Yogani and me there.....the moderators may (or may not!) want to delete the version here.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jul 04 2007 10:36:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  12:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have much faith in pure chiropractic myself, but how well it works is highly dependent on the practitioner. The basic premise of chiropractry is flawed in my opinion because the reason bones stay mis-aligned is because muscles are holding them there. That's one reason multiple sessions are needed.

Hi Etherfish,

Thanks for your post. You are right that the effectiveness of chiropractic is practitioner dependent like any profession based on skill. Look at the wide disparity in skill levels between golfers for example. Yogis for that matter.

The idea that the muscles hold the bones in place is a common misconception that people have about how the spine works. Why? because as in AYP, the nervous system is primary. The muscles respond to the activity of the nervous system activity and this is what holds the bones in place.

However, if the integrity of the disc has been compromised due to injury and the nucleus propulsus has shifted, the bone will be out of place. The nervous system will respond to this with compensatory muscle activation. Muscle contracture and fibrosis resulting from this chronic condition can permanently shorten the muscle. Degenerative arthritis sets in and you have got a permanent problem in the spine that needs life time supportive chiropractic care with the goal of slowing the arthritis, optimizing joint, nerve and soft itssue function and greatly improving the quality of life.

There are many complex scenarios. In fact the most common initiator of this process is injury.

Physical emotional and chemical stress are contstantly bombarding this weak link in the spinal chain.

And the nervous system responds to the environmental input it receives. In fact 80% of the input into your spinal cord and brain is from the neural receptors in your joints, discs, muscles (cardiac, smooth and skeletal) and tendons.

I can tell you that as a practitioner of over 20 years, that pure chiropractic is incredibly effective in the vast majority of cases. I will also tell you that I don't have the answer for everyone who comes to see me. But with my batting average, if I was a baseball player, I would be on the cover of every wheaties box in the country. Well, actually I would have to share it with alot of other chiropractors.

Occaisionally, I have resorted to trigger point therapy when adjustments alone did not do the job but that is the exception and not the rule. Most of the time pure chiropractic gets the job done. But not always.

My yoga teacher encouraged me to become a chiropractor. Originally, he poo-pooed chiropractic but then his view point changed thru a series of events and he came to see the value of it.

Back in school, I showed a fellow student of mine, a farm boy from central Iowa, my favorite book on hatha yoga, Yoga and Health by Yesudian and Haich. When he got done reading it, he said to me with a look of amazement on his face, "That's chiropractic."

When deciding on a profession, I looked at all the different healthcare professions and decided on chiropractic, because I saw the vast overlap in their philosophies.

Chiropractic's goal is to clear the nervous system of any obstructions and to optimize its function promoting the free flow of life force to every cell of the body and as a result optimizing health. Does that ring any bells?

From Yoga and Health by Yesudian and Haich:

"The carrier of life is the spinal column. The positive pole is in the top of the skull, at the spot where our hair forms a whorl. This point is easily located on a child's head. The negative pole is in the coccyx, the lowest vertebra. Between these two poles there is a current of extremely high frequency and short wave-length. This tension is LIFE!

Life wanted to manifest itself, and so it expanded the top most vertebra and developed it into a skull. It formed the fine material in the latter into a conductor of a current and gave it the ability to express intelligence and feeling. Thus the brain came into existence.

The nervous system serves to transmit the life current. The SELF clothed itself with the body and by means of the nervous system it radiates itself, that is LIFE,into every fibre of the body, filling the latter with perfect equilibriium and harmony. Thus the functioninng of the body is regular, that is, HEALTHY.

A major prerequisite for health is, therefore, that of gradually expanding our consciousness and leading it into all parts of the body. In this way we can avoid distubing the order--we can prevent disease. And if sickness is already present we consciously and intentionally restore the condition of order.

Hatha Yoga teaches us how to utilize, store and promote the free flow of life force to the maximum extent. If we give life force a free hand, it keeps us in perfect health."

(the above isn't what I gave my friend to read)

So you see, Hatha yoga and chiropractic are the perfect complements. Hatha yoga takes care of the macrocosm, the health and flexibility of the overall spine. Chiropractic takes care of the microcosm, the individual motor unit (two vertebra, the joint they form and the surrounding soft tissue).

In fact, an adjustment is like a mini yoga session for the compromised motor unit. The adjustment increaes the flexibility of the motor unit and improves the range of motion in all vectors. It improves nutrition delivery and waste removal. When a motor unit is stuck and the joint is not moving well, rehabilitating the function of the motor unit thru chiropractic adjustments will allow it to participate in the hatha yoga postures, whereas if it was left in its suboptimal condition, it could be aggravated and at the very least the nervous system would lock it down with protective muscle spasm inorder to prevent further injury.

I have many people who come to see me 1-2x per month because they instinctly know that the support their weakened joints receive from regular adjsutments greatly improves the quality of their lives. Some of them get regular massages, too.

I refer people for massage and they refer to me. Physical therapist, MDs, etc.

How much more their lives would improve with regular hatha and raja yoga. To me, This would decrease the need for chiropractic care tho not entirely. The reason it would decrease it is because, the hatha yoga would make their spine and body healthier overall and less subject to physical stress while meditation would greatly decrease the emotional stress which radiates into the muscles and then the spine via the nervous system. This would greatly decrease spinal tension. This in turn would minimize acute episodes of pain because with less emotional tension in the system, physical activity such as bending and lifting and other common activities of daily living which cause physical stress would be less likely to overload the spine's compensatory mechanisms. The tipping point of spinal instability and acute symptomatic flare up would be harder to reach.

But not every body is a yogi. And people have tons of stress in their lives and as long as that is the case, therapeutic and supportive chiropractic care will in demand.

So you see there are many complex and interweaving factors affecting the health of the spine on a grosser level.

In fact the bone re-alignment can often be done completely through massage without "cracking" the bones at all. I think this more whole-istic approach is in its infancy and is ahead of its time.

This is another misconception, Etherfish. In fact, I really don't aim at realignment. Most people's conditions are so chronic you are never going to realign them. You are going to improve and optimize range of motion and function. I would repace the "often" with "once and a while."

Every body's spine is misaligned. It is when things freeze up that you have the pain and headache, etc. And the deceptive thing is that these stuck joints can be asymptomatic like a cavity in your teeth. And this is silently activating the stress response 24/7. Many people who come to a chiropractor already have as much damage to their spine as a person who waits until they have a tooth ache to see a dentist for their very first time.

All manual therapies have their affect on the body via sensory input into the brain and spinal cord. The brain is infact what we call sensory driven. In other words, it fires in response to stimuli from the environment. However the inputs are of a completely different nature when comparing chiropractic and massage. It is the high velocity and low amplitude nature of the chiropractic adjustment which sets it apart from all other forms of manual therapy and allows it to succeed where the others fail. This gives it its unique postion in the health care field.

The high velocity nature of the adjustment allows it to get past the protective muscle spasm protecting the joint and reset the neural reflex arcs, optimizing firing of joint position and motion receptors, static and dynamic muscles spindles and golgi tendon organs while inhibiting the firing of pain generating neurons. This normalizes the function of the motor unit.

In fact, when the motor unit is fixated, the balance is upset between these two systems and the pain system (nociception) over rides the motion and position system (proprioception) chronically activating the fight or flight stress response. So chronic decreased motion of spinal bones activates the sympathethic nervous sytem and inhibits the rest and digest of the parasympathetic system.

Of course, enlightenment is the ultimate optimizer of the autonomic nervous system. But an unhealthy spine can be a chronic source of very stressful and unhealthy input to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord).

Believe me, and no offense to massage therapists, but they can not do what chiropractiors are able to do because of the nature of the adjustment which I explained above.

And you know, I have fixed many broken tailbones, pulled muscles, rib and pelvic fractures as well, simply because they were misdiagnosed. In the medical profession, if you have an ache or a pain, it is labeled a pulled muscle most of the time.

People come in to me and say it is a pulled muscle because they have been trained to think that every thing is muscular in origin and after I adjust them their pulled muscle is gone for the reasons I have explained above.

Sorry for the chiropractic lesson but,..... "I" am a chiropractor. Its what I do.

I want people to have concepts that accurately reflect the clinical reality so that they will seek out chiropractic if and when the need should arise.

I hope I fleshed out the concept of why bones stay misaligned and how chiropractic fits into the scheme of things.

Best wishes, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Jul 04 2007 1:02:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  02:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi, Karmamechanic,
What Yogani says,
quote:
As for breathwork during asanas, it is not specifically recommended in AYP, due to the possible "doubling up" effect with spinal breathing and other pranayamas used in sitting practices. Too much pranayama (with possible delayed effect) can lead to excessive purification and its associated physical and emotional discomforts. In AYP we suggest gentle awareness of natural breathing and body positions during asanas.

and Jim says... heck, I've lost his quote somewhere), but something to the effect of the asana postures themselves effecting cleansing, is so true.

With AYP, doing other pranayams and even too much asana to begin with can be an overload (with individual variations). And we all need to be well reminded of this at all times, which is what I omitted to take cognizance of when talking of the asanas done with ujjai.

Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  11:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In following the suggestion to try asanas, I have a question. I am practicing the asana-starter kit outlined in the lessons. Now, if I choose to increase the duration of the routine, what is the best way of going about that? Is it better to increase the duration of each individual asana-set (out of 14)? Or is it better to increase the number of times I cycle through the entire 14-set routine?

Thank you to everyone for all of the helpful replies
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000