New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Really nice and insightful posts Kirtanman, thanks for them.

I especially like this great reminder:

quote:
Realization is not a state, nor is it an experience; it is what we are.

Our sense of this, prior to Realization, is essentially inverted ... we truly feel like we're body-minds, tasting eternal spirit.

We're actually eternal spirit, tasting these body-minds.

REALLY.

Also, wanted to mention that because of your posts and passion for "Kirtan" which I had never heard of prior to you, I listened to the whole thing and really liked it, thanks for the link.

All the best,

A

Cool; you're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words, Anthem.

Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman

Thanks very much for sharing your Samadhi experiences (or non-experiences ). In this context many advaita guys like Nisargadatta, Robert Adams etc. have claimed that nothing ever happened and nothing exists. Did you get a glimpse of the secret of why so many life/non-life forms seem to exist or not exist

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ajna

Hi Kirtanman

Thanks very much for sharing your Samadhi experiences (or non-experiences ). In this context many advaita guys like Nisargadatta, Robert Adams etc. have claimed that nothing ever happened and nothing exists. Did you get a glimpse of the secret of why so many life/non-life forms seem to exist or not exist

Thanks

Speaking of non-duality and non-experience...I decided to check out a Jnana Yoga/Advaita group at a yoga center, and went for my first session yesterday with great anticipation. The address, date, and time were listed very clearly online. When I arrived, the good people at the desk had no idea what I was talking about, had never heard of the class, and were unfamiliar with the instructor. Pretty advanced stuff, these non-teachings.
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

quote:
Originally posted by ajna

Hi Kirtanman

Thanks

Speaking of non-duality and non-experience...I decided to check out a Jnana Yoga/Advaita group at a yoga center, and went for my first session yesterday with great anticipation. The address, date, and time were listed very clearly online. When I arrived, the good people at the desk had no idea what I was talking about, had never heard of the class, and were unfamiliar with the instructor. Pretty advanced stuff, these non-teachings.

LOL May be it was intentional to give you a glimpse of the non-stuff

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  1:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey!

Who said that?!

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:) You non-guys are funny. I forgot to mention that this morning I received an automated email from the yoga center, asking me how I enjoyed the class.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now THAT's funny!

So, did the so-called you enjoy the so-called event? Too bad you weren't there to not remember nothing.

It appears by the email that you did attend the class. Perhaps the imagined you aced THAT one.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  2:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

Now THAT's funny!

So, did the so-called you enjoy the so-called event? Too bad you weren't there to not remember nothing.

It appears by the email that you did attend the class. Perhaps the imagined you aced THAT one.

I think that there's such a thing as being TOO non-dual. I mean, it would've been great if the dude running the class had been dual enough to let potential newcomers know that the classes had stopped for the summer. But hey - whaddo "I" know.

Seriously - I sometimes wonder how enlightened blokes get on in the world. Is it hard to relate to the petty concerns of the rest of us? When you're living in a perpetual state of samadhi, it must be cumbersome to deal with the endless details of everyday stuff. Or maybe you take pleasure in all of it. I have to say that Nisargadatta always seemed rather irritated with his interviewer, and I could imagine him sighing heavily and rolling his eyes at some of the more banal questions. :)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  8:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
He probably figured that the one's and zero's that make up internet communications are the epitome of duality!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically I can, during meditation, or during the day, enter a state of mental absorbtion where I am merged with silence. It is incredibly peaceful and there is either no thought at all, or thoughts appear to happen in the distance and have very little to do with me. Everything is immediately present in a very powerful way. There is a wonderful acceptance of everytghing as it is, which could be called a form of love, but compared to the love that I want to talk about, it is really more of a sence of holding and accepting everything as it is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Christi,

This paragraph you wrote nicely describes a space I experience often as well, but I wonder why bother defining it? There it is, it happens, enjoy it and then whatever happens next enjoy that too. The truth is, I never know when it is going to come next and more accurately, I never know what is going to come next either. For a while it was happening at the end of the days but then it changes and there is something new which if you look carefully is equally wonderful too. To me, labelling or trying to bring about a particular state is a grasping or an attempt to attach which only leads to suffering, however mild when it is gone. Stillness is in perpetual motion, flow with it and enjoy the next thing life is trying to show you.

quote:
This occurs here too a gentle and pervading love that is incredibly tender in its embrace of others. Too be honest, I pretty much avoid putting any names and labels on to any of these states. I have to admit to glossing over all the technical definitions to Samadhi etc. and couldn't tell you which was which or what it really is. To me, it is an attempt to say "oh I am here now" and achieved such and such a state and only serves to pigeon hole and limit us. Let go and dare not to know.

Fantastic advice anthem. Thanks for that. I will try my best to follow it.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

quote:
Hi Christi,

Yes, pretty much all of it resonates. I've had pretty much every experience you describe, including that "blissful yet cold" sense, yet knowing I was in a very high, conscious and unified state.

In my experience, it's almost like ecstatic love "rose up to meet" that other state (the "connected and blissful yet somewhat superficial") ... and the two integrated into one, and that one was, and is ... HOME.

The infinitely-more-real than I ever dreamed possible Love that I experience now is both FAR more vast and powerful, yet far less sentimental and emotional and attached than even my most refined and conscious experiences of love were, before (I had the experience / realization / resolution of experiences).

Thanks for the great reply.

Yes, that's pretty much how I experience things when everything is flowing smoothly .

quote:
And please know: I'm not attempting to say that I'm "beyond" where you are; I don't have a sense that that's a knowable, or pertinent thing ... I'm simply describing what it has been like, and is, for me.

I find that my understanding of how far I have come spiritually is defined less by how high, or loving, or radiant, or unified my experience of reality is. I find that it is better tested in those difficult moments when someone does or says something we don't like, and understanding how we react to that. There was a famous monk in Thailand who said that achieving samadhi states in a mountain cave was not spiritual practice. He said that it was preperation for spiritual practice, which began when we came down and entered the marketplace.

quote:
Even now, tears of gratitude spring unbidden to my eyes, as I write this.

This is another thing that happens to me with increasing frequency these days. I am never quite sure if it is tears of gratitude for my teachers, or for the divine. Who knows?

quote:
Ultimately, all we have to bring to the table is sincerity. Adyashanti call it "earnestness". Adya's teacher (Arvis Justi) said, "Only the phonies don't get enlightened."

Adya also taks I believe about a state of innocence. This is something that I am feeling is an important part of all of this. Sincerity... innocence... it's kind of the same thing isn't it?

Thanks again for your great posts.
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  09:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samadhi perspective based on Patanjali's yoga sutra, by art of living guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/c...070719080536

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ajna
I liked the article from your link, two bits as follows:
quote:
Though there is no object of touch, when you go deep in Samadhi, you can feel some sensations of touch, you can hear some sound or you can see some light. Though there is no thought, the experience is also considered as thought and these experiences continue till there is “shoonyatha” or nothingness.

and
quote:
The purpose of Samadhi is not just Samadhi itself but “adhyatma prasada”, which means spiritual awakening or spiritual grace. Samadhi is one of the means to attain the grace of spirituality.

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi ajna
I liked the article from your link, two bits as follows:
quote:
Though there is no object of touch, when you go deep in Samadhi, you can feel some sensations of touch, you can hear some sound or you can see some light. Though there is no thought, the experience is also considered as thought and these experiences continue till there is “shoonyatha” or nothingness.

and
quote:
The purpose of Samadhi is not just Samadhi itself but “adhyatma prasada”, which means spiritual awakening or spiritual grace. Samadhi is one of the means to attain the grace of spirituality.

Cheers
Louis

Sri Sri is known for expressing abstract concepts in simple terms. You may like to look at his other articles, the links to which are in the bottom of the page referred to in the above post.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman and all,

I just read your non-experiences Kirtanman and your description sound really inspiring. It resounds true somehow, like home. Thank you so much.

I am new at this. I always searched for the truth although kind of non-deliberately until very recently. I was just "curious and adventurous" let's say

But now I wonder. I do want to feel Samadhi and I think that is something I will someday (I practice AYP) but I wonder about one thing that scares me a bit: ecstatic conductivity. I read the problems people have with this "kundalini" thing and it sounds really scary especially because I think I am kind of sensitive and had some energy imbalances/profound experiences in the past (but not really beautiful, just scary and really troubling...a mind thing or real energy imbalances?) and am a little scared at getting energy imbalances again or feeling something I am (my body) still not prepared for. That is why I take self-pacing very seriously and am just concentrating in I AM meditation for now, with some very good results.

But I wonder about you. It seems you had not those kind of problems. Why do you think that is? I am trying to find a balance to get the right ammount of desire versus self-pacing not to hit my head against a wall again. So, any advice would be welcome. Should we just trust our inner instinct (guru)? What would be your guidelines? For example, would meditation be enough? (sometimes I feel like it would) Thank you so much.

Of course, comments from anybody else are appreciated as well!!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  12:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
Hi Kirtanman and all,

I just read your non-experiences Kirtanman and your description sound really inspiring. It resounds true somehow, like home. Thank you so much.

I am new at this. I always searched for the truth although kind of non-deliberately until very recently. I was just "curious and adventurous" let's say

But now I wonder. I do want to feel Samadhi and I think that is something I will someday (I practice AYP) but I wonder about one thing that scares me a bit: ecstatic conductivity. I read the problems people have with this "kundalini" thing and it sounds really scary especially because I think I am kind of sensitive and had some energy imbalances/profound experiences in the past (but not really beautiful, just scary and really troubling...a mind thing or real energy imbalances?) and am a little scared at getting energy imbalances again or feeling something I am (my body) still not prepared for. That is why I take self-pacing very seriously and am just concentrating in I AM meditation for now, with some very good results.

But I wonder about you. It seems you had not those kind of problems. Why do you think that is? I am trying to find a balance to get the right ammount of desire versus self-pacing not to hit my head against a wall again. So, any advice would be welcome. Should we just trust our inner instinct (guru)? What would be your guidelines? For example, would meditation be enough? (sometimes I feel like it would) Thank you so much.

Of course, comments from anybody else are appreciated as well!!

Kirtanman is in deep samadhi at the moment, but I am sure he will answer when he is next on the forum .

I thought I would chime in as I have also been lucky enough to experience some of the “good fruits” of yoga just as Kirtanman has, and I have also managed to avoid many of the problems that people can have during an awakening of this kind.

Ecstatic conductivity comes as a result of kundalini awakening in the body. Kundalini is a powerfull force and should not be treated lightly. If it is not managed in an intelligent way then you can experience the problems that you refer to.

The real key is in “self-pacing” of practices, and AYP (and Yogani) is really the pioneer in this field. In AYP, the clock is used to stricktly control the timings of practices. New practices are added very slowly, and timings of existing practices are increased slowly. If problems occur, then times are cut back systematically until the system (body/ mind/ emotions) stabilizes again.

The only other way to ensure a smooth path to enlightenment would be a slow and gradual approach, using practices that are very gentle (such as prayer or breath meditation) only. Even this isn’t guaranteed without self-pacing, and many meditators and people who practice prayer can come into difficulties. This was the path that I took before coming to AYP (using only silent meditation. Since coming to AYP I have used much more powerful practices and have self-paced accordingly. Over the years I have experienced many of the symptoms that people can complain about, but never in an extreme or uncomfortable way. This has been useful as it means that I can now recognise the symptoms very quickly, and respond to them when they come up.

Now I experience spontaneous states of samadhi, but I am still very conscious of timings around practices.

The other key to having a smooth path of awakening is to practice grounding methods. These have been discussed at length in the forum and a search under “grounding” would reveal many threads on this subject. Self-pacing and grounding are probably both in the topic index of this forum by now.

Good luck

Christi
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I just read this thread for the first time.

If this exchange of information doesn't motivate other newbies like me to keep up their practices and crank out a few more sessions of SB and DM when they get bored, I don't know what will...Thanks to all the contributors!

Before reading this thread I had thought Samadhi might be like sex with my wife (except without all her complaining afterwards...) but now it looks like it's a totally different and mind blowing experience... ...Wait a minute...but now that I have expectations I'm probably screwed and will never experience Samadhi %$#!...Thanks for ruining the surprise and negating my enlightenment...just kidding... .

Edited by - machart on Sep 09 2008 3:50:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman...I love your posts....

If there ever is a wheat vs chaff filter on AYP ... make sure this thread is placed in the wheat barrel.

Edited by - machart on Sep 11 2008 11:08:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sita Ram, Kirtanman!

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

Namaste,
Suryakant
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000