Enlightenment Milestones
 Feeling good
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello my friends,
I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum.

Approximately six or seven weeks ago I was going to stop all meditation for various reasons, which everyone on the forum has probably experienced.

I said to myself: "I don't give a f*ck about enlightenment or meditation. What do I really want?"
"I want to live, I want to have fun, I want to laugh, I want to dance!"

Over the next week I found out that my practice of meditation has been a tool to allow myself access to a flow of appreciation, joy, and love; no matter what. And in my own joy, all else is possible. Dream it, live it!!!

All I do now is allow my self to feel good, I am a portable feel good machine.
So, why do I meditate? Because it feels good.

For anyone who cares to know, I have been dancing sooooo much. I love it.
Every Saturday I take Salsa, West Coast Swing, and Hustle lessons(plus private lessons after the group lessons).

And everyday during the week I practice dancing in the crop rows while I work on the farm.

Come and dance with me, let two yogis dance in absolutely delicious fun!

Love, Hunter

P.S. Once I return to the farm on Monday morning for my work week I will not reply to any responses until next weekend, just to let you know.

Edited by - Hunter on Jun 16 2007 2:41:10 PM

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  3:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes!! Dancing brings me such joy too! I've danced so much of my life--ballet through my early twenties and more recently, other types including west coast swing and two step. That is a lot of dance lessons you're doing in one day Hunter!

"Portable feel good machine" indeed. The joy and exuberance does follow us wherever we go!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  01:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hunter,
Have lots of fun with your fun and dance...

Sometimes the yoga pushes you towards your strongest desires, and sometimes it pushes you the other way. I've gone through this 'voila' phase too. A bit sticky to unravel the machinations of the mind (nervous system?). Maybe catching a desire in a still moment does it... maybe the yoga 'knows' what you need just now to move on. Thing is to keep sticking to the practices come what may. Sooner or later, everything passes. It just passes more bearably when you can see yourself instead of groping blindly (that sounds dismal... but put it down my poor choice of expression).

Dance away... will join you too at my end!
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  03:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't go to the grocery store to buy potatoes when there are some in the pantry.

I actually told someone before that I couldn't really dance before I took up yoga. When the sensation comes to dance, I think it is our flowing energy. And the thoughts we think, to dance, to play music, to draw, to post, to jog, to work, is all to that energy trying to really come out. It needs to jostle around the nervous system in either a hard way that breaks things down or subtle way that shifts them about.

The gliding movement of the body is a strong indicator of how the mind feels at this point, so cushioned into the gentle now.

Edited by - Kyman on Jun 17 2007 04:32:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...and here comes the New England Methodist, plodding down the lane, shaking her head at the wacky farmer dancing joyfully in the corn fields. If everyone spent all their time dancing and being joyful, who'd there be to do the suffering? :) That's why God invented the Puritans.

As you can see, I have a slightly different take than yours, Hunter, but I'll admit that I grew up in a vise. If all we did was what felt good, there's a whole lot that wouldn't get done. And in the doing of what isn't fun, we stretch and grow beyond our limitations. Think of a kid, who always has a blast, no matter what she does. As she grows up, she is made to take on more responsibility, and it gets less fun. She'd rather play all the time. But she has to accept all that life puts in her path, and often that's no fun at all.

Another way of looking at it is if all we did was have fun, then we'd lose appreciation for it. Abundance is generally followed by diminished appreciation. Suffering keeps the 'fun' in fun. And it builds character, and shows us yet another face of God, and creates compassion for those who abide in suffering, and so on.

My apologies for having rained on any parades, but rain can be fun, too. :) So much of practice is about soaking in whatever is happening in the moment and being fully present with it, whatever the flavor.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  11:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy!,
You are right, it is a lot to learn all in one day. Thankfully I have the same dance instructor for all of the classes. I danced for about 6 hours yesterday!

Are you enjoying the west coast swing? So far, this is my favorite dance.

Have a great week!

Happy Fathers Day to all the daddies.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They still teach "The Hustle"?
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  2:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
They still teach "The Hustle"?

Yes, except we are dancing to contemporary dance/discoteque music.

Edited by - Hunter on Jun 17 2007 10:47:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  12:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter,

Yes, I liked doing the west coast swing. If you think West coast swing is fun, try East Coast swing!!

It is challenging!

Have Fun!!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  06:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter

I said to myself: "I don't give a f*ck about enlightenment or meditation. What do I really want?"

According to these guys you are right on track
http://www.abraham-hicks.com

They say that feeling good is the most important thing there is.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  10:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I went for a great hike on Christmas day in Muir Woods, a national park monument containing a beautiful redwood forest. Surprisingly, the place was packed with tourists who had the same idea as me. I was so relieved to walk next to a creek and take the deepest breathes ever. Breathing in that sweet redwood aroma.

Well, at this particular time in my life I have found my passion:
Farming and gardening. So, I will begin another apprenticeship at the end of March 2008 on an organic fruit and vegetable farm. I am hoping to work at this one farm which is about 25 miles north-east of Sacramento, CA. The climate would be much warmer than that of the last farm, which means I would have access to all of the best fresh fruits: Avocados, melons, peaches, plums, persimmons, apples, grapes, olives, figs, citrus fruits, kiwi, berries, you get the idea...
This year I would like to learn about what it takes to start and maintain orchards.

I will be in San Francisco for 3 whole months before I am on a farm again. I am gardening here in the city and I will also take the time to learn some new dances.
I am going to learn how to dance the Lindy Hop "Savoy Style".
I should probably also learn to dance the quickstep just in case I should ever find myself dancing in a honky tonk.

Edited by - Hunter on Dec 26 2007 10:17:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  11:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's good to hear that you are feeling so great Hunter. The organic farm food sounds delicious...but I haven't eaten for many hours right now so that probably explains it.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  2:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On monday (January 6th), I am starting my Lindy Hop classes. I think I am also going to take east coast swing classes on Friday. Before I get back to the farm I also need to learn how to quickstep so I can dance in some Santa Cruz honky tonks.

It is pretty humorous, I do not drink a drop of liquor ever but for some reason I really like dancing in sh*tty dive bars. I regularly dance west coast swing in my neighborhood blues bar.

The farm that I work at is also available as a retreat space for guests. I was thinking that I would like to provide another service for guests by teaching them how to dance. That would be so fun. I would teach only the club dances: East coast and west coast swing, hustle, salsa, merengue, lindy hop, guajira, quickstep(2-step) and the electric slide!

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 06 2008 2:41:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  5:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter:
quote:
and the electric slide!

Uh, within the same vein, as Jim's earlier post, "they're still teacing the electric slide?". LOL:

Meg:
quote:
...and here comes the New England Methodist, plodding down the lane, shaking her head at the wacky farmer dancing joyfully in the corn fields. If everyone spent all their time dancing and being joyful, who'd there be to do the suffering? :) That's why God invented the Puritans.

LOLOLOL Good stuff.

Anyway, it sounds like you're having a blast, Hunter; a good lesson to learn.

Hunter:
quote:

Have you considered the possibility of becoming a whirling dervish, therefore killing two birds with one stone? LOLOLOL:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 06 2008 5:57:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  4:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL

Uh, within the same vein, as Jim's earlier post, "they're still teacing the electric slide?". LOL:

Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  02:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
New dance exploration: Debke!

This is the dance form of my ancestors in the middle east.
There is basic structure to it but it is very improvisational.
We dance it in either a circle, a line, or solo.

It reminds me of the dance forms of some tribes of Africa and the Irish/Celtic people up north.
In the honky tonks of America it's called line dancing.

Dancing debke comes natural to me but now I am going to experiment a lot with new improvisations, integrating steps I have learned from swing and latin dances.
Full circle, right? Swing has it's roots in the people from Africa as does modern latin dance.

I also see a modern debke being danced by young people from south central Los Angeles. They call it krumping. I love how they do it because they express pure emotion through their dance and sometimes it looks violent. It's just raw!

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 13 2008 12:48:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
New dance!: Tonight I learned how to two-step to some great country & western music. Sooooo much fun people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000