AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Heart Rate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  3:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I was wondering whether anyone knew any methods of controlling your heart rate?

Much appreciated

Thanks

Q

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  12:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Q! I can't answer your question but just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  07:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Q. The best heart rate control I can think of is deep breathing, any old kind, to slow the heart rate down. There are all kinds of breath control techniques (pranayama), but the most effective one I've found is Spinal Breathing. Have you done this? Here's an overview: http://www.aypsite.org/39.html and here's the actual practice: http://www.aypsite.org/41.html I have no idea if this addresses your question, but it's all I got. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Q,
Welcome to the forum.

I may not be getting your question right.. but then that's just me. :)

Are you asking, how to reduce your heart rate or control it?

It is known that meditation/yoga/pranayama will reduce your heart rate.. It has been discussed in the forum before.. one good thread is
Has AYP Affected Your Resting Pulse?

Here Yogani says...
quote:
On the yoga side, I think it is much more simple. Yoga reduces metabolism (reflected in reduced breath and heart rate), as well as tension in the nervous system, which one might logically expect to relax the veins and arteries (and BP) on the inner-most level. As we know, the effects of meditation and other yoga practices eventually become a 24 hour experience in the nervous system, and this is how we feel the benefits rising in everyday life. That is a layman's point of view on the medical aspects, of course. There have been a lot of stress reduction studies on meditation and other yoga practices that would seem to bear this out. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and most yoga practitioners are not complaining.

I am not sure if this helps..but hey I tried:)

I am sure others will chime in.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
Thank you for your replies. I was thinking of controlling my heartbeat rather than slowing it down i.e. being able to slow it down or speed it up at will.

Q
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  09:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

One technique i know of is from the Monroe institute regarding OBE's, or Out of Body Experiences. You feel your heart beating internally, whether through breathing exercises or meditation, and you try to count the beats in your mind up to 4, then start over and keep repeating this. WHen you feel ready, you start to count the beats in your mind more slowly and try to feel the heart slowing with it.

That is all i have come across.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by quddusaliquddus

Hi all,
Thank you for your replies. I was thinking of controlling my heartbeat rather than slowing it down i.e. being able to slow it down or speed it up at will.

Q

Just out of interest quddusaliquddus.

Why do you want to control your heartbeat
Go to Top of Page

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  12:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks gumpy. richard - i want to learn it out of curiousity :D
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  12:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not the best of reasons.

Have you never heard the saying

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  1:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
will not low body metabolism due to Yoga cause obesity?
Go to Top of Page

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No - i haven't heard that before :D, just shows how much i know i guess.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  2:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

Not the best of reasons.

Have you never heard the saying

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT

Actually, I think curiosity invented the wheel that killed the cat.
Go to Top of Page

quddusaliquddus

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  2:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit quddusaliquddus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol @ meg
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  3:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Actually, I think curiosity invented the wheel that killed the cat.

That swallowed a mouse that swallowed a spider that swallowed a fly' I don't know why she swallowed the fly CURIOSITY PROBABLY

Edited by - Richard on Jun 08 2007 3:24:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  6:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maximus wrote:
"will not low body metabolism due to Yoga cause obesity?"

No. While breathing and pulse slow down which would cause a slower metabolism, eventually you naturally develop a taste for lighter foods that are easier to digest. Yoga will reduce stress, which eliminates a major cause of eating-for-no-reason, and helps you get to know yourself and your body better. As you get to know yourself better, you will naturally gravitate towards a more healthy lifestyle.
I suppose there are exceptions if someone has an eating disorder, and just does enough yoga to relax, but continues to eat neurotically. Hopefully they would become dedicated to yoga and overcome that problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000