Maintaining Practice in Poor Health
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link. I never sleep during meditation...but I guess I overdo the relaxation afterwards. Napping is definitely addictive to me, though. If I nap at 3:15 today, I will nearly collapse at 3:15 tomorrow. Always been that way.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The yogic sleep is pretty far out.

A normal sleep cycle is about 90 minutes, and so it is said a 45 minute nap does not restore you in any way. I'm not so sure about that. After a short nap like this I feel extremely cleansed. If I felt heaviness in the body or drag I'd wake up feeling light and refreshed.

I suffered from chronic insomnia many times in the past but never since I have been practicing yoga every day. The ability to hover between very relaxed states and heightened clarity becomes almost second nature.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  9:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto. Short naps often refresh me completely. Sometimes 15 minutes is enough.
I do a heavy workout sunday evenings, and my blood is pumping too fast to sleep until 3 or 4 hours past normal bedtime. So I take a nap before the workout. I leave two hours for it, but usually wake up refreshed in less than an hour, and feel fine the next morning in spite of lost sleep.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim. My experience may be a little different. I used to get migraines and severe nausea because of the migraines. For me, meditation was something that would give me some relief. Sometimes the nausea/sensitivity was so intense I could only lie down, but even then meditation helped. So, I was motivated to continue meditating during those times. I still get them, but not often anymore.

I have to say though that there have been a couple times (rare) when I was very ill and could only sleep---I didn't try to sit up and meditate then. It was as if my body was telling me what it needed more than anything and I listened.

Those aren't examples of chronic conditions, I know. But I feel that regular meditation (and our other practices) will help us stave off some of those conditions for a longer period and help us stay healthier longer. I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back that up---only my own health experience.

And with the changes of mind-set that continued meditation brings us, I think that in our advancing years we will accept whatever life throws our way with grace and still find a way to live through each day in joy.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good viewpoint, Kathy. As I get older, i find that it is easier for me to find joy if I discipline myself, expecially my body.
When I'm sick, exercise is the last thing that I want to do, but I push myself because I know it's for my own good. Then I'm glad later when I feel better.
Almost every day I push my body to do something difficult, and it greatly contributes to my disposition during the day.

It is my belief that our bodies don't "get old" nearly as fast as people think; that it is lack of use and discipline that gives us that illusion.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jun 07 2007 07:36:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000