New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  4:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim.

I fully agree with yogani that inner silence is the prerequisite to awareness. By whatever words you want to tag IT, inner silence IS what we are, along with the fulfilling of the expression of THAT in our lives.

In my experience (seemingly tiny "moments", but not just an intellectual understanding) the recognition of Self is not a technique. It is more like a leap; a complete surrender; a full stop; or a full release. It has no techniqyness to it. Self-inquiry, pranayama, deep meditation, ingesting koans, etc. are techniques that appear to lead up to such a point. There seems to be a hot argument of whether to practice or not (and the argument often includes whether or not to practice self-inquiry). It is reminiscent of the old rift in Zen Buddhism in ancient China between the southern and northern schools, or between sudden and gradual enlightenment. Some say one must pass through the proper, linear stages. Some say it is not necessary. In my opinion, at the very least meditation (especially AYP and the like) is a beneficial practice and shouldn't be balked at. If it leads thru the stages of samadhi to complete awareness of Self then wonderful! But I think some of these people, like Adyashanti for example, are saying that complete surrender is the ultimate "techinique" beyond all techniques (this is not verbatim, just my interpretation of what Adya says). They appear to be talking of a "way of being", or seeing beyond all energetic states, and beyond the illusion of the separate self that experiences these states. I've read Nisargadatta and others say it is called sahaja samadhi. From what I see there are those who say that a complete surrender is necessary, including surrendering the desire to be a separate self experiencing samadhis and etc. Who wants to continue to live only as (or appear to live as) an illusion of a separate, suffering being, wonderful experiences or not? Not I (though all of that can be included in the package of being, just no longer the primary focus). Is my bent to absolute freedom? Yes. Will "I" accept the existence of a separate self within the bosom of the Infinite? How can there be a refusal? "I" see that ultimately there is no manipulating or arranging of anything.

Blah blah blah blah

Thanks for listening,
bALANce

Edited by - Balance on Jun 26 2007 6:15:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

Hi Jim.

I fully agree with yogani that inner silence is the prerequisite to awareness. By whatever words you want to tag IT, inner silence IS what we are, along with the fulfilling of the expression of THAT in our lives.

Hi Alan,

I like this perspective, this is the way I see it too.
quote:
In my experience (seemingly tiny "moments", but not just an intellectual understanding) the recognition of Self is not a technique. It is more like a leap; a complete surrender; a full stop; or a full release. It has no techniqyness to it. Self-inquiry, pranayama, deep meditation, ingesting koans, etc. are techniques that appear to lead up to such a point. There seems to be a hot argument of whether to practice or not (and the argument often includes whether or not to practice self-inquiry).

Not sure how hot the argument is, it seems from another thread I started, that there aren't many fully realized teachers, if any?, that don't think meditation is a good thing.

In regards to being able to make this complete surrender or full-stop for long enough (which is really the key), to realize our true nature, then we have to stop taking mental trips out of the present moment or at least be aware as we do. All the energy we have invested in our thoughts and corresponding emotions is too seductive to resist, it captures our attention and then we are off in thoughts about the past or future away from reality, (presence, here now etc.).

Meditation, trains our awareness back to the present, energy follows awareness, it releases the energy from thought and emotional patterns giving us greater ability to stay present and giving us greater awareness of our inner silence. We also increase our energy by doing spinal breathing and releasing the store house of kundalini, which continues to clear us out. Self enquiry releases energy bit by bit from each thought and accompanying emotional pattern, further enabling us to remain in the here and now. As our awareness is released from thoughts it abides for more and more time in silent inner space.

I believe it is from this launching pad of sustained inner silence that we completely surrender and fully realize our true nature. To me this is why we get more and longer glimpses as we go along.
Go to Top of Page

Greg108

29 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  4:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Greg108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Life always gives us exactly the teacher we need at every moment. This includes every mosquito, every misfortune, every red light, every traffic jam, every obnoxious supervisor (or employee), every illness, every loss, every moment of joy or depression, every addiction, every piece of garbage, every breath.
Every moment is the Guru.

-Joko Beck Sensei-
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  3:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all; Gilbert Schultz points things out pretty sharply here:

http://www.shiningthroughthemind.ne...spx?blogID=0

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  01:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff Foster's non-duality blogspot is in the same vein as the others I've listed in this thread:

http://thisispresence.blogspot.com/

It's interactive!

And here is a link to his "this is presence" website which doesn't seem to have a clear link from his blogspot:

http://www.geocities.com/thisispresence/

Edited by - Balance on Jul 10 2007 5:07:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all. Tony Parsons has a new audio clip on his site titled "It's Complete": http://www.theopensecret.com/audio1.htm. Fun stuff. Enjoy!

alan b.c.e.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  5:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stuff here: http://www.takuin.com/2007/04/03/em...nsciousness/

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  6:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another good blog by Takuin here: http://www.takuin.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000