Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 THYROID NODULE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Monk

Greece
2 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody. I have a question about the inverted postures. Almost all the literature I've gone over, says that the shoulder stand and the plough can bring the thyroid functioning back to normal. Before one year, doctors discovered a huge nodule(3.1 to 3.2 cm) on the right side of the gland. The examinations don't show hyper- or hypo- thyroid condition, although I tend to sleep much and feel generally tired( I attribute these symptoms to chronic use of alcohol, cigarettes cofeee, e.t.c that have caused imbalance to the system- I have stopped everything for two months now).

Should I do these two postures(which compress the thyroid) or it's better to practice postures that kind of "stretch" the thyroid(practically whatever bends neck back), like the fish, cobra the camel e.t.c.
All kinds of advice about the nodule are welcome. I need your help, the doctors say to remove the whole gland(it's too solid and they can't drain it), but I want to try yoga first. If the nodule doesn't start to shrink, the gland must be removed in 6 months, and I will take medication for life.
Thanks in advance

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, that would be considered medical advice, and we could get in a lot of trouble giving that kind of advice on this forum.

If it was my problem, I'd get a second and third doctor's opinion, then i'd search for alternative cures on the net, particularly dietary changes that may help.

But please don't consider this advice as this forum is about yoga, and we are not qualified to give any medical advice at all, including advice about what kind of yoga may help your condition. Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Monk

Greece
2 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish, thanks for the ultra fast reply. I've consulted several doctors, and nobody said anything negative about yoga. On the contrary, they said that maybe it helps a little. I will limit my question, because you are right about the medical advice: Is there any contradiction for shoulderstand, plough and headstand(from the yogic point of view) regarding a person with thyroid nodule?
For example, in all the books I've read, they say that people with high pressure, glaukoma, ear disorders e.t.c should not try inversions(at least without close monitoring of a yoga teacher). Do we know anything about this particular thyroid disorder? I just want to know if I should do the asanas or not.
As for the dietary changes, unfortunately I can only find hints about hyper or hypo thyroidism. Nothing about nodules.
Anyway, thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000