Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Being split in Two
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Some interesting scenery while meditating today. I felt like I had to "sniff", so I made a conscious decision, and sniffed. But that movement startled the part of me that was meditating. My consciousness immediately switched to the part of me that was startled, and I felt it wan't me who sniffed. Pretty weird; I felt like I was split in two, and both parts were me.

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  10:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether,
That's happened to me... not sniffing, but laughing or saying something loud, and the exact experience that you describe after that. I think that is the inner 'witness' that you are experiencing (the feeling that it was not 'you' who did that) once there is some inner silence.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sadhak,
I thought of the witness, but one part of me was making a conscious decision, and the other part was startled. I thought the witness was a silent watcher who didn't make decisions, and wouldn't be startled??? Any ideas on that? Maybe I'm not understanding what the witness is.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  11:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The witness watched the partial dissolution of the mind's identification with its contents, as yourself.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  11:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether,

Interesting question. The way I experience it, is that I can witness thoughts and feelings coming up, and see if an opinion comes up that may influence a decision, then I look at that thought, feeling or opinion and choose if I should let it influence me or not, if it is constructive or not. If it isn't then I can ignore it and make a choice not based on it. So, I sense more freedom of choice than when I was more identified with these things that come up. But, as you bring up, if the witness is the same part of myself as that which makes the choices, I don't know, but I sense there is a close connection.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  02:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that the conscious sniffer, the meditating one and the startled one were parts of the one being watched. The depth of stilling made them seem like distinct ones occuring in time and space. The watcher is the real you to whom all of these acts appear.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  02:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me though that I am missing something there.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Balance,
It makes sense that the watcher may be neither one of those two "me's" I experienced. And yes, startling myself may have been a distortion in time. I may have started something in motion, gone back to silence, then become startled, all within a second.

Of course, there's always the perspective that i'm not what I think I am, so why should I be surprised if something "not me" comes out?

I realize none of this matters, but it's comforting to be able to discuss it! Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It does matter. We come here to hopefully clarify these matters and gain further insight into our experience. When I looked for my response and wrote it down it helped me see what that kind of experience is for me.

What interests me further is that the witness is still seen by "me" as a part of manifestation "existing" somewhere in time and space. Moving completely into the witness state seems to be the first nut to crack; absolute stillness/silence. From that point the beauty of the natural design is free to unfold, unhindered by the distraction of constant outward movement. Currently my consciousness is scattered into endless outward activities into manifestation.

It must be time to meditate
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000