Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Breathing and mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ab25

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  10:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit ab25's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing a different types of meditaion in the past. Most of them focus on the breath. Buddhist meditation counts the breaths and another type I learned uses a mantra where you say one phrase on
the inhale and another phrase on the exhale. I read that in the ayp meditation the breath is disconnected from the mantra. I am having a hrad time making this transition. I suppose it might just take practice but does anyone have any advice.

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  10:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ab25,

Best advice i can give is that you supposed correctly!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  10:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ab25

I read that in the ayp meditation the breath is disconnected from the mantra. I am having a hrad time making this transition. I suppose it might just take practice but does anyone have any advice.

Hi ab,
This has been discussed before at the forum.. You can look at this one.. Breath and Mantra
...and also do a search on "breath and Mantra" for some more inputs.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

ab25

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  11:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ab25's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK thanks. I did try a few searches but I guess I didn't find the right keywords and I got 9 pages of threads.
I have also been having panic attacks which one symptom I have is difficulty breathing.
Needless to say this is contributing to my inability to ignore my breathing.

Edited by - ab25 on Apr 05 2007 11:58:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry coming in late. the relationship of panic attacks to becoming aware of one's breathing is well-established. I'd strongly suggest work on asanas to relieve the anxiety, which will allow you to meditate more calmly. that is actually the classical role of asana in all this: to relax the body and ensure its health so that there are no distractions during meditation. I speak from personal experience in saying that it works like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  10:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is tough at first to seperate breathing and mantra. it just comes...you cant really force it. took me about a week. if you notice them becoming syncronized, just favor the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  2:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ab25

I did try a few searches but I guess I didn't find the right keywords and I got 9 pages of threads.

do a search on breath and mantra and change the search to "Match Exact Phrase".. that will help.

Anthony is right though.. if you find them (breath and mantra) getting synchronized.. or your breathing getting faster etc.. treat them like distractions and just favor the mantra.. If it becomes too distracting, take a break.. calm down and then start again.
Jim's suggestion will help too..
Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi,ab25

i too had this problem, i did the SRF hong-sau concentration technique for many years and that is to sync breath & mantra. well, it seems to be going away, i've been doing what Shanti & anthony574 suggest. frustration has also been lurking while trying-not to disconect.

thanks much.

Edited by - blackmuladar on May 13 2007 01:07:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000