AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 Giving it all up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  9:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Some recent experiences and thoughts I wanted to share, maybe others are going through similar things.

Some time back, somewhere in this forum, Yogani mentioned that we didn't ever stop thinking, meaning living in complete silence in the mind, but that the nature of thoughts would changes and become more spiritual. I hope I am paraphrasing correctly, but I believe it was something along these lines.

I have noticed as Yogani describes, that what i think about these days has changed from a couple of years ago for sure, more inclined to think spiritual thoughts etc. now than before.

As long as I can remember, there have never really been a flurry of thoughts in my mind, never (or rarely) the whirlwind of thoughts some of my friends and family members have described going on in their minds. Recently there has been a change to even less. I have been experiencing periods which seem long to me, several minutes of silence in the mind very few thoughts, perhaps one or two a minute, at these times there is an intense awareness of what is (whatever that may be). Maybe my brain is becoming more fascinated with the here and now than all of its subjective concepts of life, finally!

Last night sitting on my couch during one of these quiet moments, I started to view the body as if I was watching it in a movie (I wasn't the body), I was the field of awareness behind it, I had a momentary profound sense of being very ancient and eternal. I have had moments of awareness like this before (always a little different), they have always scared me to my core, but not so much this time.

The result of this little experience is that everything I heard my mind say today seemed absurd. Why the guy in the car beside me was a jerk, why something should be this way or that etc. It becomes apparent that so many of my actions stem from fear, so much of my mind's daily thinking is because of fear of some kind.

The result is I give up and it feels good… so at ease... I have decided to stop and just let it all unfold however it will, all of it. I am going to watch the movie and see how it turns out. I have given up. Sounds apathetic maybe but I don't think so.

Will there still be action? Yes, I will exercise because it feels good, I will explore because it feels good, I will meditate because it feels good, I will work because it feels good, I will recycle because it feels good, I will help where and when I can because it feels good, but I give up. Figure that one out!

A

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Response from The Judge: No! I forbid you little man! You cannot give up for you are not worthy to experience freedom. In fact freedom is only an illusion. What makes you think you are worthy of such a lofty ideal? Just who do you think you are? There must be one law left in this book to judge you wrong!

Response from the victim: Noooooooooo.....don't give up on me.....what would i be without The Judgeand the book of law? I am not worthy of such freedom. No one will be able to hook our attention......help!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  07:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew
Thanks for sharing

quote:
I was the field of awareness behind it, I had a momentary profound sense of being very ancient and eternal

Beautiful!

quote:
The result of this little experience is that everything I heard my mind say today seemed absurd

Yes....it is like sitting behind somebody in a bus.....that are loudly chatting on and on about....the surface activities in their minds. You just know that the talk has nothing to do with you. Just like that......the watching will keep you from being seduced into the talk.

quote:
Will there still be action? Yes, I will exercise because it feels good, I will explore because it feels good, I will meditate because it feels good, I will work because it feels good, I will recycle because it feels good, I will help where and when I can because it feels good, but I give up. Figure that one out!

That's just it - the not figuring it out is what sets me free

Thanks again, Andrew
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I get silent periods- mostly i have to make them happen, though; because it feels good.
Sometimes when I exercise I disconnect from the effort and pain part, and just watch.
last night I was practicing "the bridge" (backbend) and what has been very difficult for quite a while felt euphoric.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Some time back, somewhere in this forum, Yogani mentioned that we didn't ever stop thinking, meaning living in complete silence in the mind, but that the nature of thoughts would changes and become more spiritual. I hope I am paraphrasing correctly, but I believe it was something along these lines.

I dont know whether thoughts will reduce or not but if "in wild action" we can remain untouched and undisturbed definitely thats a huge sign of progress. For aspirants like me in initial stages this thoughts turning into spiritual can be a self-hypnotizing thing. Two years back when I first started my meditation, I used to read a lot of spiritual material, tried even bhakti yoga, used to think all the time about god, trying to feel close to him etc... I felt I was making huge progress then. But after some changes in personal life all that thinking about god vanished all of a sudden.

I realized that my basic nature remained the same. I still am easily disturbed, I still feel jealous, I still am selfish, I still am as bad/good as I started. All that thinking I was doing was just self-hypnosis kind of thing though useful in inspiring me, wasnt a big change in me.

Instead of being changed to more spiritual thinking, I would say more selfless thinking can be the right measure for progress. Infact a person can be very inspired about his spiritual progress, got siddhis but still is very selfish.

-Near
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew said:
"Some time back, somewhere in this forum, Yogani mentioned that we didn't ever stop thinking, meaning living in complete silence in the mind, but that the nature of thoughts would changes and become more spiritual. I hope I am paraphrasing correctly, but I believe it was something along these lines."

I think there is an understanding we come to about thinking and thought. A freedom begins to occur. Thinking is happening but we are not immersed in the thoughts, we have stepped back into the immensity of Self. Thoughts are no longer our definition of self. Thinking becomes a natural and unobstructed event that occurs on the canvas of the silence that is us. The thoughts flow more from the source and are naturally more "spiritual".

Edited by - Balance on Apr 26 2007 12:06:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  05:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem, it sounds cool! I just wonder - who is giving up?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
I think there is an understanding we come to about thinking and thought. A freedom begins to occur. Thinking is happening but we are not immersed in the thoughts, we have stepped back into the immensity of Self. Thoughts are no longer our definition of self. Thinking becomes a natural and unobstructed event that occurs on the canvas of the silence that is us. The thoughts flow more from the source and are naturally more "spiritual".

Great points and nicely illustrated, thanks Alan.

quote:
Originally posted by emc

Anthem, it sounds cool! I just wonder - who is giving up?

Hi EMC,

Good question. If you ever find the answer let me know. The unnecessary effort is letting go and it feels unbelievably good.I highly recommend giving it all up!

A

Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  7:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
not sure why but this reminds me of a story of a Gini i read yesterday

http://www.sanatansociety.org/india...the_gini.htm

aum M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000