New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, everyone.

I was just wondering the average ages of the people on AYP and if there are any people near my age? I am 19 years old. I find that it is very rare for me to meet "peers" who are you know...on any remote spiritual path. I just thought it would be encouraging to find anyone else on here that is young.

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 27, go me.

I can relate to what you are saying, but it is definitely easier these days.

Yuo should be able to find people who are on the path, but engaged in ways like foods, music, painting, etc.

Find people who have a passion to know about a subject and then observe the spiritual gifts they have from those practices.

CAn you imagine the concentration, breath control, intuitive ability, and capacity to lose one's self in a 65 year old professional sax player?

Edited by - Kyman on Apr 20 2007 7:19:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm as old as the hills, soon to be older

Actually if I turn around three times I see nineteen as just yesterday. Continue to establish a daily habit of deep meditation. If I would have not dropped meditation at your age I'm fairly certain I would have had a much richer 25 years in between.
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Im 27 also

aum
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
22 here.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One cool (and unique) thing about online communities is that people you'd normally never mix with can be your peers.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this particular community is unique in another way as well. I think if we all were able to meet regularly in person that age wouldn't much matter and we would all be as peers.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  04:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, 20 here.

Not many I know at my age with this kind of interest, but there are a few bright sparks. :P
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  07:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum
i started practicing when i was about 22?
& i felt so lonely

i would say to Nandhi allot i dont have anyone to talk to !
no one around me seems to understand

then slowly got into the yoga communitys here & find yea age doesnt matter at all

BUT it is a little fun finding another woman about my age to hang out with

after time guess what?

they come to you! people who have the same interest are pulled to you so dont even worry sometimes TOO mcuh even so you need to simplidy that as well laughing

aummmm
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
that's reassuring. i hope one day I have peers for support.

i guess this makes me the youngest so far.

i just wish i had someone who could relate experiences, and even hardships of the spiritual path. even someone i could fast with!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am 732 years old. Not as old as that Babaji, but getting there. Unfortunately I can give no further details and refuse to prove it -- the world is now ready to be told how old I am but not ready enough to have it proven that I am not just a delusional freak.

Enjoy AYP, my children.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David, David, ..., dududu ...,
I am 52 years old, but I refuse to prove it
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL!!
Go to Top of Page

Blue Opal

33 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Opal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am 872,842,683 seconds old.
Go to Top of Page

Blue Opal

33 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Opal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am 872,842,806 seconds old! Hehehe! :)
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
27 is a me. I a like pretty girls.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You do have people to relate to: right here!
I would guess that many people here can't talk about these things with people around them physically.

But also you will find people who are into this type of thing are concentrated in little pockets geographically. Where you live might not have any, but maybe 30 miles away there are a lot.
If you are near a university that has artistic majors, like dance, art or philosophy you will find more people like you there.
I'm with Balance; you would consider me old (but I don't). You are very fortunate to be starting young this lifetime; ther are benefits if you practice regularly.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I attended a Tibetan Buddhist meditation center called the Shambhala Center, a worldwide organization. For some reason I didn't find the people too...I don't know...I just didn't feel like I even fit in. For one thing that majority of the people were older than me, and although people were friendly, I didnt feel too much of a potential for friendship. It seemed, even there, there was somewhat of a social hierarchy - although somewhat mild by my observation. I suppose I still have not rid myself of my antisocial demons.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When we become God we will never be alone again. Our paths of accepting no substitutes can appear vey lonely at times. One day we will find friendship everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
22 years old here. Only been practicing for about 2 years, hopefully the next ones will be a smoother ride
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony, I'm 19, too.
How long have you been practicing AYP? I've only joined in quite recently :)
If you want to share your experiences or whatever, I'm open to that.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is so cool! It's wonderful knowing that there are a lot of younger people moving forward in their spirituality. God bless you all!
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  5:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what a funny thread, I get such a kick out of you all!
I just turned 3 years old- I must be a child prodigy, here I am already meditating and using a computer already! Actually my body is 28 years old but mostly I don't even know what age I am! I'm about 60+ years old on Friday and Sat. nights when I go to bed at 10pm then about 7 years old when I'm goofing around playing with my neices!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  6:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
anthony wrote:
quote:

"I attended a Tibetan Buddhist meditation center called the Shambhala Center, a worldwide organization. For some reason I didn't find the people too...I don't know...I just didn't feel like I even fit in."

It's possible that you are looking in the wrong place. It's ironic, but you won't necessarily find people on a parallel spiritual path by looking in "spiritual" places. That's because people on the same path aren't necessarily doing the same spiritual practices. I know that sounds impossible, but it's one of the things you learn as you get older. So you find people on a parallel spiritual path to be friends with in person, then find people here doing practices in common.

if you have trouble making connections with people, try this: Act interested in THEM, and don't be concerned with whether you are interested. Try to give them attention; ask about their lives and what they do. At first it will be boring, but quite often you will find something about them you can relate to.

Instead of looking for spiritual groups, it's better to try one group thing after another until you find one you like. Don't make any assumptions about what you will like. just branch out, and spend a few days checking out each group, whether it be sports, classes of martial arts, dance, nature, cars, whatever. Get to know a couple people at each group and see what type they are. You will probably be surprised that you will like people in some pursuit that you didn't expect, and you may gain a new interest. but at the very least you will learn a lot about people and how to relate to them; one of the most valuable life lessons there is.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  7:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is intresting to wonder about the consequences of practicing this stuff at a young age - both good and "bad". I mean, in one way it defintley detracts from what most youths consider to be late teenage-early 20's behavoir - being casual sex, alchohol, partying, ect...but I have never been drawn to any of that. I think it defintley alienates most people until they reach an age where perhaps others have "caught up"

I also wonder if it gives one any sort of edge because they have extra years with which to practice, and even at a more malleable age.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  8:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

Hi Anthony, I'm 19, too.
How long have you been practicing AYP? I've only joined in quite recently :)
If you want to share your experiences or whatever, I'm open to that.

Hello, Tadeas. That's cool that you're 19 as well. I really didn't think there would be anyone else that young.

I have been practicing some form of loose spirituality for about a year now, but I have only had egimented practice with AYP for a little over a week. I would defintley be interested in talking with you. If you want you can email me at AIC574@yahoo.com

Or anyone else for that matter!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000