Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 God and grace
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is there such a thing as a special grace from God? If so, then i believe that we are all puppets subject to a partiality, with free will in the times between those graces.

Blue Opal

33 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Opal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe there is any such thing as a special grace from God. God is impartial. He always makes sure that you deserve what you get. We create our own destinies and live through our thoughts and perceptions. We attract everything that happens to us in some way or other. God is not an active force per se, so in a sense the Universe works according to its own laws. We have the power to change ourselves and the world around us. As human beings, we are meant to act out our parts well. I don't feel the need to believe in God. I have only one philosophy of life - be good and do good to others and strive for continuous improvement in all aspects of life.

On a last note, there is such a thing as a special grace from oneself like when you will yourself to give up drugs for good. Not succumbing to temptation requires a lot of special grace from your soul.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  4:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Grace has little to do with how we behave or how good we are. I believe that it has to do with the position of one's heart toward God/Universal Energy/That. It always amazed me that David in the Old Testament, who did some really rotten things (murder...adultery...yada yada) to good people for purely selfish reasons, was the recipient of boundless grace from God. I believe that he was so blessed because of the purity of his heart. It's pretty simple, really:

Thy will be done.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  6:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no explanations, but I do believe in Grace. Say we have a bunch of karma coming due, the good stuff from lots of merit. What makes it come to us as a blessing all at once, when it does? Would that constitute Grace?

The benevolent generosity of the Universe, that is Grace to me.

Much happiness,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jillatay

Say we have a bunch of karma coming due, the good stuff from lots of merit. What makes it come to us as a blessing all at once, when it does? Would that constitute Grace?

I think karma and grace are 2 different things. Karma has individual responsibility wrapped up in it; we reap what we sow. Grace is entirely without merit, and as such, an abundance of it in a person's life is not necessarily a reflection of his or her spiritual or worldly achievements. Grace shows up in the most unlikely places!
quote:
The benevolent generosity of the Universe, that is Grace to me.

I'd agree with that. I don't believe that the generosity is partial, however. The abundance is available to anyone who is unequivocally open to it, either unconsciously or by choice. In some ways it's similar to talent. Why are some people born with special abilities, like art or music, and others not? Why do some people easily open and surrender, while others struggle and close down? Who knows. But just as anyone can learn to be an artist or musician, anyone can learn to open/surrender to benevolence and grace.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000