Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 cross legged versus chair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  02:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
mantak Chia says cross legged sitting blocks chi from legs.

Anyone experience this effect or have any comments on this
thankyou

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  07:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi snake,

I'm not too familiar with Chi theory. However, and I'll assume that you are speaking of meditation postures, I would say that crossed legs do indeed block blood and lymphatic fluid flow, as well as putting pressure on nerve and connective tissues. There's plenty of medical research on the Net to support this assertion.

I personally don't recommended cross-legged postures to anyone doing lengthy meditation sessions. Simply because of the fluid blockages and unnecessary pressure on tissue, which in turn cause all sorts of medical problems.

Therefore, if one finds a chair more comfortable for meditation, I do, then by all means, please use one.

May you all be happy and achieve the highest bliss,
Nirodha

Edited by - Nirodha on Apr 03 2007 07:26:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Snake,
In my experience crossing the legs causes an energetic loop to build up during meditation, which increases chi flow and makes meditation more benefitial. I often sit in the normal crossed legged position, and sometimes in half lotus, or siddhasana. All these asanas create the chi closed circuit and so are generally considered preferable. Sitting with our legs straight out in front does not close the circuit and creates a loss of chi. Sitting in a chair I find effective, and our feet are at least connected to the earth energies, but the energy works in a different way. It is an open sitting posture (no closed loop) and I find it harder to concentrate.
It is certainly true that when we are not used to sitting crossed legged, as Nirodha says, it can be painful due to reduced circulation, but I think the benefits are so great that it is well worth persisting and getting used to it. Once we are used to it, we can sit for hours in any cross legged asana with no problems at all.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou to you both
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000