Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  08:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,
as the most of you , I started practicing AYP using the "I am" mantra.
I've been practicing for a few months. Now it seems that something has changed, in the sense that I feel strongly attracted by a new mantra which is not the usual "I am", but it's more like a sound, a very loud sound that reverberates throughout my whole body. I feel it coming from the deepest parts of my brain , the feeling is very good , peaceful and relaxing, and if I can tune to it, it's like my body starts to vibrate , in one sense it is like meditating with the whole body and mind, rather than the mind only. I only wonder if it is a good thing , that I should second , letting progressively slip my mind from "I am" to the new sound, or if I should treat it like a common intruding thought, and so gently go back to the "I am" mantra.
My feeling is that the sound in a good thing , so, if let alone, I would tend to second it, but the fact that it feels good doesn't necessarily mean it is good.
Any thoughts ?
thank you

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo,

It's good to hear that your meditation is going well! As in your case, it's common that other feelings or sounds associated with it come up in meditation, and when they are pleasant it's easy to get attracted to them, and tempting to get involved with them. But, as you say, in the practice of deep meditation we just treat them as any common thought and easily go back to the mantra.

Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  02:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Weaver,
I was just looking for a clear and straightforward answer...:)
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  11:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Take heart and rest easy in the knowledge that your experience with the "sound" will be following you out of meditation and into the world soon enough!

Tat tvam asi!
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And, should I take this experience as good sign or a bad one, or simply ingore it ?

quote:
Originally posted by Swami Vajra

Take heart and rest easy in the knowledge that your experience with the "sound" will be following you out of meditation and into the world soon enough!

Tat tvam asi!

Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo,

I wouldn't treat the sound as neither good nor bad, but simply something that is, and consider it part of the scenery that is unfolding on the spiritual journey.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  7:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The subtle sound is always there: A vibration exists, underneath all of the grosser aspects of being, like a substratum. The subtle sound of OM Mantra is constantly there, and when heard in deep yoga meditation, sounds like a continuous vibration, ever sounding out mmmmmmm.... At a deeper level, it is extremely loud and serene.

Emerging from OM: The reality symbolized by OM Mantra is the ground vibration out of which all other vibrations, sounds and mantras emerge.

Receding into OM: That vibration represented by OM Mantra is the substratum into which all those vibrations, sounds, and mantras recede when followed back to their source.

Similar words: Some say that this everlasting, all pervasive vibration of OM Mantra is also the source and intent of Amen, Amin, and Shalom. Some say that this sound is the Word of God.

Silence from which OM emerges: Eventually, this leads to a deep stillness and silence, which paradoxically, is experienced as the silence from which the sound of OM itself emerged.

http://www.swamij.com/om-mantra.htm

The "mmmmmmm..." sound is very LOUD, yet comforting, and you will be fully alert, and yet, in a very deep meditative state. I used to hear it all the time when I meditated.

When you 'drop down' (the only way of describing it) you will reach that state of consciousness. It's difficult to explain, but you will know what I mean when you experience it directly.

As weaver says, just continue to focus on the practices and listen to yourself and do what feels intuitively right and go from there:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 12 2007 7:29:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only way I can describe the sound (well, calling it sound is not totally right, because it doesn't simply involve the sensation of earing, but I would better describe it as a global vibration) is making a musical example. If you know Vangelis' music, the sound is very similar to the intro of the track "Albedo 0.39" (sorry, I couldn't find a more specific way to describe it). As I said it is very intriguing , since when you start to feel it, you get a warm feeling in your hands and feet , something very comforting. For a while , every worry , fear or tension, fades away, and you really would like to stay there forever.This doesn't last long, and trying to keep it obviously causes it to disappear instead.
If this is the Om, wouldn't it be possible to use it as a mantra ?
Repeating it , trying to resonate with it shouldn't cause you to tune with it ?
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  08:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it sounds like a very LOUD harmonious vibration, almost like the hum of an electrical generator. Here is the track that you are talking about and I can definitely hear the similarities, the background sound is almost identical, (but without any sound variation/fluctuation - it's steady/constant) to what I perceived the sound to be like. The "Albedo 0.39" Track varies in sound intensity. It's like the "Thx" Sound that you hear at the onset of a movie, but without the gradual climb and descent of the sound byte posted. The loud harmonious hum (mmmmmmm...) is present, immediately. I never felt any bodily sense perception when I heard the sound, but every one's experience is different. The most important thing being that attachment to anything is never good:

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/perki/record...do/track9.au

http://www.waveevents.com/MyFilez/w...iety/thx.wav

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 13 2007 09:07:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  03:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL

Yes, it sounds like a very LOUD harmonious vibration, almost like the hum of an electrical generator.

Yes, in effect I think this example is more fitting than mine ....

quote:

Here is the track that you are talking about and I can definitely hear the similarities, the background sound is almost identical, (but without any sound variation/fluctuation - it's steady/constant)

I agree, the similarity I was talking about is just in the frequency of the sound .... Anyway, as far as I can remember, I've always been attracted by kinds of music that, in one way or another, contain sounds like that.....

quote:

to what I perceived the sound to be like. The "Albedo 0.39" Track varies in sound intensity. It's like the "Thx" Sound that you hear at the onset of a movie, but without the gradual climb and descent of the sound byte posted. The loud harmonious hum (mmmmmmm...) is present, immediately. I never felt any bodily sense perception when I heard the sound, but every one's experience is different. The most important thing being that attachment to anything is never good:

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/perki/record...do/track9.au

http://www.waveevents.com/MyFilez/w...iety/thx.wav

VIL

Quite sincerely , I have to admit that I've been attracted to the sound at the point of trying to get it on purpose ..:))... Well, my experience is that when you look for it , it's not there ... The only way is to wait for it to happen . I don't know if I couldn't get it just because I made something wrong, but i just remembered the "never force" rule , and I realized I was forcing instead. Personally speaking, I don't have much control on my brain's functions, I often have senseless thinking that I just can't avoid ,and this mostly happens when I'm trying to go into deep meditation ... So I wonder how I could get to the OM, if I just can't do a "simple" pranayama or meditation session. My opinion is that you just use your brain as an antenna, you catch the right frequency when you're tuned , but you have no access to the tuner .... I hope the constant practice will give me a better control on the tuner , day by day, since at present time I can't see much difference with the days I started practice (if not that it seemed easier at the beginning....now it's almost never working).
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Perhaps, Leo, you are concentrating too much instead of relaxing enough? I think it is probably an ideal state to be relaxed like sleep but just slightly consciously aware. I could be wrong about this though because i havent done I AM mantra very much yet.

VIL, how can you hear external sounds if the OM is booming at the same time?

Yogananda said that at an advanced level, God speaks to you through the OM vibration by making the OM into audible words or intuitions. I would love for that to be true! I just don't want God to be like Neale Donald Walsches "guy next door" kind of dude though!
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  1:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well , maybe, I don't know .
All I know is that I do my best to relax, and sometimes I succeed,
but after a while I find my mind wandering, my muscles tensed for no reason .... I 'm quite convinced that habit has its role in it, when you're used to tense , and to wander with your mind, you find it difficult to correct that habit. Sometimes it has to do with real-life worries, and in this case all you have to do is "learn not to worry" ...
Maybe it's true that any one of us is born with a different degree of "karmic obstruction" :), so maybe I just have to work harder than others because of my past lives' acts.... who knows....:)

quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

Hi,

Perhaps, Leo, you are concentrating too much instead of relaxing enough? I think it is probably an ideal state to be relaxed like sleep but just slightly consciously aware. I could be wrong about this though because i havent done I AM mantra very much yet.

VIL, how can you hear external sounds if the OM is booming at the same time?

Yogananda said that at an advanced level, God speaks to you through the OM vibration by making the OM into audible words or intuitions. I would love for that to be true! I just don't want God to be like Neale Donald Walsches "guy next door" kind of dude though!

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  9:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Leo, you have the right attitude:

gumpi, I can't speak for anyone elses experience, but I never heard external sounds when in the (M) of AUM, deep sleep, state of meditation, since you feel like you are the sound vibration.

quote:
I just don't want God to be like Neale Donald Walsches "guy next door" kind of dude though!

LOLOLOL

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 14 2007 9:55:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  04:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is , Vil .....

that's the quote that I think really explains it ....
You couldn't have found more appropriate words ... :)...
Being the vibration myself, it's exactly the way I feel when I
"hear" that sound, so to speak ....

quote:
Originally posted by VIL

..... when in the (M) of AUM, deep sleep, state of meditation, since you feel like you are the sound vibration.

VIL

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  9:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In Yoga Meditation and Contemplation, one remains in the Conscious, Waking state (A of OM Mantra), and gradually allows that Waking state to expand through the other states that are normally unconscious. However, in Yoga Nidra one leaves the Waking state, descends to the Deep Sleep state (M of OM Mantra), and yet, paradoxically, brings along Waking consciousness.

http://www.swamij.com/om-mantra.htm

quote:
Leo: I've been practicing for a few months. Now it seems that something has changed, in the sense that I feel strongly attracted by a new mantra which is not the usual "I am", but it's more like a sound

So it seems that the AYP Practices are working for you (realizing the powerful "I AM" at different states of consciousness). I'm happy for you Leo:

quote:
Yogani: A: Certain sounds resonate in our nervous system. Deep in the silence
of the mind they have a vibratory footprint that awakens our nervous
system in particular ways. I AM is such a sound. As you continue to
practice, you will see that your nervous system is being awakened in
a particular way. It will be self-evident. You will say, "Ah Ha,"
because it will be obvious. When we learn advanced pranayama
(breathing) methods, we gradually begin to see and feel the mantra
unfolding the subtle nerves. So many flavors of bliss. That is when
the profound vibratory quality of the sound becomes obvious.

So there is a method to the mantra. It is not just any sound. Still,
you can meditate using any sound you like. If you use the
sound, "banana," you will be able to take it to very silent levels of
mind. But there is no guarantee you will not end up with bananas
growing out of your ears. Only kidding…

(chuckle)

quote:
Yogani: As you become advanced, you will know exactly what the mantra is
doing as it vibrates through your subtle nerves, spreading out inside
your vast ecstatic regions. As you become familiar with your cosmic
realms, options for using certain kinds of sounds, and also thoughts
with meaning, will become apparent. But we must take it one step at a
time. Today the mantra, tomorrow the cosmos. It all belongs to you.
It is all you.

The guru is in you.

AMEN. OMega. AUM. AMIN. I AM:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 16 2007 10:05:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  12:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All!

I offer these excerpts from the teachings of Swami Nadabrahmananda, as transmitted by Yogi Hari, regarding the Pranava Nadam or Anahata Nada of Nada Yoga for your consideration.

http://www.frankperry.co.uk/images/700060_043.jpg
http://www.hinduism.co.za/anahat1.jpg
http://www.bhagavadgitausa.com.cnch.../kundal6.jpg

Nada Yoga - The Yoga of Sound

Nada Yoga has its roots in the Vedas. It is the science of Divine Vibration, as revealed to the Mystics, Saints and Yogis who have used it to reach Self-Realization, the experience of Oneness with Brahman/God, the Supreme Consciousness. Nada Yoga involves a tuning into subtler vibrations, one’s internal music and sounds, until ultimately, one reaches a state where there is Absolute Silence and Peace, returning to the Source of Creation, to God. This state is attainable by any individual who has reached a high level of purification through Sadhana.

First, it helps to understand what Divine Vibration is. The Bible declares, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1:1) The statement implies that the universe is nothing but an expression and manifestation of the Divine. God is not in the universe but the universe is God. Whether something is manifest in the physical, astral or causal world, animate or inanimate, seen or unseen, perceived or unperceived, it all constitutes Brahman as vibration.

According to the Vedas, Brahman, the One without a second, manifests as this universe in the form of vibration, which modern scientists refer to as the big bang. The first manifestation of the Absolute is referred to as "Om,” Pranava or Nada Brahman. This is the Para state, which is the most subtle Undifferentiated Vibration, the Immutable Essence underlying all of creation.

Thus, everything in the universe comes from vibration, and in its essence, is vibration or energy. Vibration as sound exists in many different forms, ranging from the very gross to the extremely subtle. Even our physical body, made up of the elements; astral body, comprised of the energy; mental and intellectual sheaths; and our causal body, comprised of the blissful sheath, are vibration.

For example, the energy system, known as the Pranamaya Kosha, is made up of the Nadis and Chakra system, which are receptors of vibration and mostly influenced by sound vibration. This is why music has such a strong effect on us. If you understand this, you will understand why it is so important to expose yourself to Divine Vibration.

As the mind becomes still and internalized, one experiences the Nadam, Vibration, including the subtle movement of Prana and the Anahata sound, one’s internal music, which is a means to take you to the state of Samadhi.

Thus, one should pursue the Path of Transformation, continuing the disciplines of purification and refinement through Nada Yoga, so that one may eventually experience the Anahata sound. What is the Anahata sound? It is something distinct and different from the Ahata Nada. Ahata Nada is sound vibration that is experienced on the sensual level. For example, if someone strikes a drum, that vibration will travel through the air into the hearing mechanism in your body and you will hear the drum beat.

The Anahata Nada, however, is experienced in the state of Meditation as the Subtle Vibrations of Prana. With the mind internalized, one can hear an unstruck sound. In other words, the experience of the Anahata Nada does not require an external instrument to hear it.

The sounds charm the mind to dive into deeper levels of Consciousness until one is able to pierce through the last veil and experience the Self without any conditioning.

The Higher Reality lies beyond all these conditionings. When the last veil is shattered, the Self is revealed in its full splendor. This state is called Samadhi, Turiya, the fourth state of consciousness, Self-Realization or God-Realization.

Hari OM!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Mar 17 2007 01:25:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  3:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Listening to the inner sound was one of the meditation tecniques of Guru maharaji,same as the SRF one,does take you somewhere ,not sure where though :)
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  1:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the post, Doc:

quote:
Thus, everything in the universe comes from vibration, and in its essence, is vibration or energy. Vibration as sound exists in many different forms, ranging from the very gross to the extremely subtle. Even our physical body, made up of the elements; astral body, comprised of the energy; mental and intellectual sheaths; and our causal body, comprised of the blissful sheath, are vibration.

Good stuff:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  8:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone!

In the event that some folks here haven't read the following book as yet, consider checking it out sometime. Enjoy! Find it here:

http://www.atmajyoti.org/pdfs/om_yoga_book.pdf -

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi everyone,

i have been doing the mantra "om namo bhagavate vasu devaya" for a month. while sitting afterwards in the after-effects of meditation i've noticed some sensations in the heart,area's of the head; above the medulla and below the crown(upper rear)head. maybe to soon to go there since my spine is still comming-to-bloom.

any comments on this would help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000