Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 IAM in the body or space
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  9:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I heard or read that the mantra should not be located anywhere in the body but I am having a hard time not feeling it in my heart beat or in my ears or in the space between my ears. I can expand my awareness to a sphere outside my body and resonate the mantra there but is this making things too complicated? And if not any of these places then where? How can I just drop this locality thing? Also I get all worried that I am repeating it with each beat of my heart. (because I have neverending ringing in the ears) Then I deliberately try to do it off beat but this seems too complex too. How often on average do others repeat the mantra, every 5 seconds or every 10 or what? BTW I have noticed the silence after a few repititions and am fine after that. It is just sometimes the silence takes awhile to appear.

Thanks,
Jill

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  9:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill and welcome to the forum!

It is very understandable that the meditation can appear a little clunky in the beginning, with the mantra seeming to persist in some location, or being in sync with heart or breathing. As long as we don't do these additions deliberately to the simple routine of just doing the mantra, then we are on the right track. The best thing is to not pay too much attention to the other so-called complications and see them as unimportant, and they will disappear by themselves. It's important to note that the meditation works even if there may seem to be distractions. They are all part of the purification process. In my case, I would guess that I repeat the mantra maybe every 2-3 seconds.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  12:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill and welcome to the forum. There isn't any right timing to the mantra. I think we find our own way with this over time....just start the mantra gently and softly, never forcing. When we find ourselves associating the mantra with breathing or our pulse we just gently go back to the mantra. The sound and rate of the mantra will change, as you know, during our meditations. Please don't worry about the locale of the mantra---just let it be. If you keep up your practice, it will become so easy, natural, effortless...

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  09:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,
Welcome to the forum.
Weaver and Kathy's replies are very good.
Look through these threads..
Overcoming Pushiness in Meditation
How to be easy/let go in meditation
Meditating with the 'I am' mantra
...there are some real good suggestions and discussions.. Also once you go through them you will know you are not alone.
Just be easy about your practice and do it like brushing your teeth..
All the best to you.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  11:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the welcome.

I realized not long after posting that some of this is my mild form of OCD (obsessive compulsive) which always kicks in when I am trying to do something "important" and knowing this helps me to drop it more easily. I sense that I am not the only spiritual practitioner with this problem. It causes me a lot of suffering, like when I read about not focusing on my crown, then I couldn't ignore it no matter what. It has faded since my ah ha and I think the meditation is calming my anxiety as well. Hopefully this will continue as this has been my experience in the past with meditation.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  11:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't locate your mantra in the body. Locate your body in the mantra. Which is a glib way of saying let the mantra do you, like you're sitting in the barber chair and you let the barber tilt and move your head around while he does stuff to your hair, and you're only sort of hazily there for it.

The problem's not in directing mantra to the wrong place. The problem is in directing it at all. Instead of doing, let it all be done. Mantra is the intelligence...you are just the nattering chattering anxious mind. Give over to mantra and let it do what it does. The more you surrender control, the more deeply it can work.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 01 2007 11:27:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  11:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, Jim:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  11:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS--don't meditate. Allow yourself to be meditated.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000