Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 kechari question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  1:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
ok i recently read this excerpt from one of norman paulsen's books and i have a question about something described with kechari... first here is the quote...

'What is Kechari Mudra, Boone?'

'Well, it has to do with the tongue and a unique position which the tongue assumes."

Boone began to explain how the life force is drawn up through the nerve centers of the spine toward the higher centers of the brain. He then went on to describe the pituitary gland and the pineal gland and their functions.

Finally he opened his mouth and said, 'Do you see the soft palate which hangs down from the roof of the mouth?'

'Yes, I see it.'

'Well, the trick is to pass the tongue backwards until it slips behind the soft palate. You then push the tongue upward until it slips behind the nasopharynx. You should be able to close off either nostril with the tongue from the inside. Pushing on up with the tip of the tongue, you will reach a bone protrusion that is just under the pituitary gland, The force which is rising upwards flows off the end of the tongue, like flames under a pot. It is here that the final connection is made. By exciting the pituitary gland, the pineal gland begins to vibrate, and the two forces are magnetically drawn to unite in the region of the spiritual eye. Therefore Kechari Mudra works like an excitation current to arouse other forces in the body to join at the center of consciousness.'

I decided to try it. I pushed my tongue upwards and backwards until I felt the tip of my tongue touching the soft palate. Pushing on, my tongue slipped behind the soft palate. Then moving the tongue upward, I could feel the nasopharynx and the inner side of the nostrils with the tip of my tongue. I pushed beyond the nostrils and came up to the bone protrusion Daniel had described. It was true! I immediately felt a very deep consciousness pervading my mind; with closed eyes spectral lights flared around me. Daniel found it hard to believe I had accomplished this very difficult mundra on my first try, so I demonstrated the fact. I began to practice Kriya Yoga with my tongue in this unique position experiencing tremendous results."

Ok my question now is this.. I've been able to be in kechari stage 2 for quite a while... but ive never felt any bone protrustion... as I trace the tongue up the septum the septum seems to curve back a bit but my tongue wont reach any further than this..prob 1.5-2inches length of septum total(this is a guesstimate) but what is this supposed bone protrusion? Ive never heard of it before... but from the way its described in this passage it would seem to be important...

Thanks in advance for any help..

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  6:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anatomy sketch:
http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

Lesson 108 on Kechari:
http://www.aypsite.org/108.html

Glad you are enjoying the Nor mans' autobiography.

Someone will come along shortly to give a more detailed and experienced answer.

Hunter

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 26 2007 6:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

sparkyfoxMD

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  06:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sparkyfoxMD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Normans biography is wonderful

I was sprry to hear he pased over recently. His book "Christ Consciousness" is a real classic.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  10:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Thokar

Ok my question now is this.. I've been able to be in kechari stage 2 for quite a while... but ive never felt any bone protrustion... as I trace the tongue up the septum the septum seems to curve back a bit but my tongue wont reach any further than this..prob 1.5-2inches length of septum total(this is a guesstimate) but what is this supposed bone protrusion? Ive never heard of it before... but from the way its described in this passage it would seem to be important...

Hi Thokar,
You have me really intrigued. I have been looking at the pictures of nasal cavities.. and for the life of me I don't see how and where there could be a bone protrusion. Somewhere in stage 4? The only thing I can think of is, he is talking about the secret spot(stage 3).. but that, from what I have read, is not a bone... but the description of the feelings he gives are very similar to those described by people who have found the secret spot. (You will need a bit more length to find this spot.) Most have described the secret spot as a soft protrusion (I have found this soft protrusion too, but it does nothing for me.. I guess my nervous system has to purify a lot more)..

So maybe we need the experts in on this.. Yogani? Victor? David?

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 27 2007 10:05:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, yes, I think he is talking about stage 4, which I haven't reached yet....
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that "beyond the nostrils" means farther up rather than through the nostrils? In my case I have no experience getting my tongue very far inside the nostrils but if I follow the septum up I find a small fleshy spot and if I go farther up a little dip or cavity followed by a gentle bony bump. the bump is with the tongue straight up
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  2:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Victor, the septum continues further up so the tongue is straight up on the bottom of the cranium. You might also try e-mailing Mr. Paulsen's organization and asking his staff at his retreat near Lompoc California if they might know the kechari particulars. I don't recall the name, maybe google "Norman Paulsen Retreat" or something. I e-mailed there once and got a nice response from one of the staff.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

I agree with Victor, the septum continues further up so the tongue is straight up on the bottom of the cranium.

Hi All:

Yes, I believe this is what Mr. Paulsen was writing about -- what we call stage 3 in AYP, which is the tongue rising to the top of the nasal pharynx without entering the nostrils. The roof of the pharynx is bone, and it is right under the pituitary gland.

However, I do not agree that the "bone" is the ultimate connection point in kechari. There are many ecstatic neurological connections that occur in the nasal pharynx and nasal passages. The easiest to reach and most effective one I have found is the "secret spot" on the edge of the septum about half way up. Stage 3 provides more stimulation for that with the underside of the tongue blanketing the back edge of the septum, rather than anything particularly profound happening at the bony top of the pharynx.

As for stage 4, in the nostrils, that is something else -- powerful, but not necessarily conducive for long term stimulation like the secret spot is in stages 2 & 3. So I consider stages 2 & 3 to of greater importance than stage 4 for daily practice, which is essentially what Mr. Paulsen is saying, though from a different angle.

I'm sure a whole book could be written on the nuances of whole body ecstatic energy cultivation in the various stages of kechari. Maybe one of you will write it someday. But don't do it at the expense of maintaining a well balanced integrated practice routine.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried practice with the tongue at the top of the nasopharynx recently and it felt improved to me. It felt like the difference between keeping palms down and up in practice. In my body it feels like that slight bony spot is slightly back from a gentle indentation just above the inner nostrils and feels like the inside of the top neck bones. it isn't a particularly cunductive spot but in my practice when i started there it with the tip of the tongue it felt like the energy went up. Then after a day or so the surface of the tongue contacted the back roof of the dome and that caused the tip of the tongue to slide forwards to easily rest on the septum spot. That feels like a solid stage 3 and feels like a marked improvement to the stage 2 that i had been practicing. Still not sure how deep to get the tongue into the nostrils though since they are small and the tongue thick. well maybe in a few years.

Anyway,I found a good link for an illustration and explanation here from bhagavadgitausa

http://www.bhagavadgitausa.com.cnch...ECHARI-1.jpg

"1: Sphenoid sinus. The flipped-back tip of the long tongue comes to rest under the floor of the sphenoidal sinus and block the back nasal passages marked by a green circle. To put it simply, that is the spot (green circles) where the mucus exits from the back of the nose when you sniff backwards.

2: Frontal sinus on your forehead.

3: Olfactory nerves serve smell function.

4: Cerebrum.

5: Corpus Callosum, the structure that connects the left with the right brain.

6: Pons.

7 Cerebellum.

8: Trigeminal nerve.

9: Medulla Oblangata.

10: Facial nerve.

11: Spinal cord.

12: Oesophagus, gullet.

13: Trachea or windpipe.

14: Hyoid bone.

15: Soft palate.

16: Mandible, lower jaw.

17: The area where the nasal passages open in the back, where the postnasal drip is felt. The two openings which the Yogi performing Khechari mudra blocks, are marked by a green circle. Note it is just above the hard palate, #18. It is actually a feat to negotiate the tip of the tongue past the soft and hard palate and block the back nasal passges.

18. Hard palate.

19: Togue.

20: Oral cavity.

21: Nasal passage.

In Khechari Mudra, the energy flows up the tongue to the pituitary and pineal glands and then comes to the region of Ajna Chakra. Khechari Mudra is said to stimulate the pituitary glands, offer rejuvenation and longevity, mental peace and concentration and eventually bliss. It also induces salivation which is compared to ambrosia. Gurus claim that the flow of Amrta or nectar gives a "High."

Some Gurus offer a simple noninvasive variation of Khechari Mudra, Nabhi Mudra. There is no need cutting the frenulum of the tongue in this modified Mudra; one has to just fold and keep the tip of the tongue as far back as possible in the oral cavity and the rest is the same as in Khechari Mudra.

Siddhasana posture involves sitting straight, putting one heel at the anus, the other heel between the anus and the root of the phallus, resting the ankles one over the other, and keeping the palms on the knees. Obstruction of the lower two apertures with the heels help sublimate energy; one can now experience a higher consciousness.

Sambhavi Mudra: Special feature of this Mudra is to fix the gaze between the two eyebrows; it otherwise shares common features with other Mudras.

The Sadhakas, who experience Samadhi, see the Light of Atman, hear Nada sounds, enjoy good health and wiry body, glow with bright eyes, live emission-free life with inspissated semen, which "rises" (Urdhvaretas), and abound in spiritual fire."

Edited by - Victor on Jan 30 2007 03:52:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

dadhichi

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings brother and sister yogi’s and yogini’s
Yogani says in lesson 108, referring to stage 3

“ Stage 3. Gradually working to the top of the nasal pharynx and septum. This takes us to the bony structure containing the pituitary gland. “

If you look at anatomy charts, as well as the image that Yogani provides as a link in lesson 108, it seems that bony structure housing the pituitary is about 10 degrees back from the top of the nasal pharynx , towards the back of the head .

In my expierence if I trace my tounge up the septum to the roof of the pharynx and keep going back there is indeed a bony protrusion, it feels rather big and wide as well, in my case.
It varies were I place my tongue, from top to bottom, I enjoy exploring, going deeper. I have found that the tissue around the septum, cartilage like, is somewhat flexible and I can push it left or right or even inwards a tad, thereby allowing greater access within the nostril openings. Shambavi mudra really gets the effects of Kechari going as does drawing up the energy by puling the abdomen up while the breath is held out on the exhale. I enjoy not inhibiting the natural unfolding, dance spontaneously within with mudras, bandhas, with mantra, pranayama, dance, but don’t forget discipline and regularity.
I have found that when I enter kechari especially in meditation but throughout the day as well that the breath automatically stops, on either the exhale or inhale, I enjoy prolonging this, not breathing as it really gets the energy moving. ( not so much that it would cause harm ) when commencing breathing again, I would then breath in a rigorus manner and then repeat the kumbaka or retention. Kechari in my practice seems to promote this breathing pattern, of course when my body becomes saturated with energy it becomes very calm and still and begins to disappear, this is a good time to get into the inner silence and the core of meditation.
There is at times a delay between the time the tongue is active in kechari and the resulting effects, one of the main effects for me seems to be an opening up of awareness from above and around the head, through the crown through the pharynx and the space between the eyebrows as well as the back of the head in line with the space between the eyebrows. Accompanying all of the above feelings there is calm and bliss, awareness of oneness and general ecstasy and well being.
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In one of Yogani's radio interviews, a guy called in and mentioned a biblical passage that seemed to reference kechari, something about "God made them put their tongues on the roofs of their mouths." Does anybody know what the verse is? I have Googled around to no avail.

Juliet
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  10:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet,
Job 29:10 apparently.. I am not a bible buff but I found this here here

Hope it helps

Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000