Enlightenment Milestones
 My own pitfall realized, this morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  11:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This morning I was and have been contemplating why it is that my social abilities have suffered so and why it is that I have had such a hard time speaking with people.
And in relation, why it is that my spiritual practice has always been out of balance.

For the past 3 years I have wrongly assumed that I should go through my days with my attention focused on the pituitary region, third eye, "staying in the stillness", "in the spine", etc...

In doing so I have excluded and alienated the whole world; holding myself in a constant tension and blocking the natural flow of life. I have found this to be the root of my self-pacing problems as well as personal problems as I have ruined many relationships including my close and dear relationships with my family members.

Once I realized this, I was able to instantly let the habit go (of focusing always in the third eye) and such a great relief has followed. I can feel that self- pacing and managing the meditation practices will be going a lot smoother and that I will be able to rebuild burnt bridges with people who I excluded from my life.

Simple meditation, and then I will go out and be fully active, alert, and present in life.

Sincerely,
A very relieved and grateful Hunter

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 26 2007 10:27:26 AM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  12:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I think this is very relevent and a wonderful insight. I fully agree that while doing different activities that it is counterproductive to always try to keep the attention in the same place. Thanks for reminding those of us who tend to be overzealous!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter
Once I realized this, I was able to instantly let the habit go (of focusing always in the third eye) and such a great relief has followed. I can feel that self- pacing and managing the meditation practices will be going a lot smoother and that I will be able to rebuild burnt bridges with people who I excluded from my life.

Excellent Hunter.. good for you!!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter
Simple meditation, and then I will go out and be fully active, alert, and present in life.

Amen to that.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  02:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holding attention in a certain place or chakra during practices draws tremendous energy to that place. So it can not only be unbalancing, it can even be unhealthful, as one can overload that area. As you say, Hunter, in your eloquent posting, this is just another aspect of letting go. It's also an example of one of the myriad ways in which we can complicate practice. I keep returning, again and again, to Yogani's lessons to strip down all the junk (expectations, etc) that I find myself affixing to practices all the time. It's like scraping barnacles off a hull!

Yogani encourages "contemplation" in your non-practice time, and I'd suggest you contemplate your heart space. It's good antidote to the previous fixation (though even this can be overdone!). Yogani has a suggestion about heart contemplation somewhere (can anyone find it?), but one thing I like to do is cultivate the flowing love I've felt at different life moments. Childhood teddy bear, first kiss with new lover, a really inspiring concert.... whatever. Just throw whatever few associations come quickly to mind into the hopper and let the feeling well out of your chest, irrespective of specifics. Make it wonderfully unattached to actual objects. Refine it to its essence and let it gush (not just forward from your chest, but in all directions). If you make a serious practice of this, btw, it's an incredible aid to brachmacharya, because you realize more and more deeply that love doesn't stem from (i.e. needn't attach to) particular objects or individuals. Love just is. It's a generic commodity, like soybeans or pork bellies. But I digress....

BTW, Victor, about 2 years ago I suggested to you that you oughtn't fix attention at third eye (or any other place) during meditation, and you took strong exception. ;) I'm glad Hunter's insight was contagious for you. That's why a forum like this is great; different people say the same things in different ways over time, and sometimes one rendition just hits you.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 25 2007 02:43:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  10:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Holding attention in a certain place or chakra during practices draws tremendous energy to that place. So it can not only be unbalancing, it can even be unhealthful, as one can overload that area.

Sorry...should have clarified that I'm talking about doing this over time. I'ts not going to hurt much to do this in the short term. It's just, as Hunter says, disruptive to practice, because you're doing something extra and unnecessary (i.e. complicating things, i.e. hanging on).
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  6:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  8:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hunter,
I think I have just entered the state of being you described. Looking at the various reactions that you seem to be getting in this specific thread, I have this feeling that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your social abilities, not in the past and not now. But I must say I personally have just been blown over too so to speak from the simple idea of timing/pacing down meditation to 20 minutes and no more... (I haven't meditated at all this year yet, but that's another problem or not of course, whatever; and then, be active, i.e. bringing the meditation over to the external reality that is or shall become or something of that nature.
It reminds me of a booktitle by Alice Bailey, something like the Exteriorization of what was it, Consciousness? Anyway, keep in touch! I know I will with this forum for it has been practically a life saver for my spiritual path.
Love to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000