Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Comparing translations of Patanjali's yoga sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TensorTympani

Sweden
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just discovered this website https://yogasutrastudy.info/yoga-su...ranslations/ and find it very useful in the study of Patanjali's yoga sutras. It contrasts for each sutra seven different translations, which helps a lot in understanding what each sutras says and to what degree the translation is biased by the translator's understanding.

Dogboy

USA
2288 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  1:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thank you
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2024 :  2:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thomas Egenes's translation of Yoga Sutra is excellent.

The other aspect to consider when studying a spiritual text is the practice. The practice of yoga makes the text alive, and opens new perspectives, meanings, and specific instructions. So as we continue to practice yoga and meditation, reading the same text such as Yoga Sutras will offer a new understanding. Continuous practice - and repeated study.
Go to Top of Page

TensorTympani

Sweden
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2024 :  12:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,

I recently got the book by Egenes you recommended, thanks for pointing it out! I hadn't encountered it before you mentioned it. It's particularly interesting because Egenes likely practiced the TM version of Samyama before publishing the book, which means that the translation might also more readily relate to AYP than other translations. However, the book doesn't have a commentary.

I also got the book by Swami Hariharananda Aranya that contains many practice related comments. I'm mostly interest in the Yoga Sutras to help me better understand my yoga practice and how to get better at it. So I fully agree with

quote:
Continuous practice - and repeated study.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000