Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 White Noise During Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elderberry

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2024 :  10:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The AYP lessons state that one should not listen to music during meditation. This makes perfect sense.

My question is, is it inadvisable to listen to white noise during meditation? When I say white noise, I mean something like the sound of rain, or literal white noise. Something that is deliberately not distracting at all.

I started to use noise canceling headphones with the sound of rain in my home because I have roommates that I know in advance are likely to be noisy. I found that I was able to go deeper in my meditation without having to worry about the noise around me. At this point, I find myself reaching for the white noise even in relatively quiet environments because I have become accustomed to it. I can meditate fine without it, but I like having the extra peace of mind that nothing will end up distracting me.

1. Generally speaking, is it acceptable to use white noise during meditation? Or does this reduce the efficacy or meditation in some way?

2. If I know in advance I am going to be in an especially noisy environment (lets say I am attempting to meditate in a doctor's waiting room). Would this situation be an exception where white noise is preferable?

3. Tangentially related, is it acceptable to listen to music during asanas and/or the rest period? I have developed a habit of listening to soft music during the asanas and rest portion of my practice, and switching to white noise for spinal breathing, meditation, samyama etc. To me, music does not feel like it has quite the same negative impact on asanas as it does on the sitting practices. But perhaps this is misguided

Edited by - elderberry on Aug 10 2024 10:59:39 PM

TensorTympani

USA
81 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  12:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think if for a planned meditation session one has a choice regarding taking measures to reduce potential distractions, then one should always opt for the most distraction-free scenario. For instance, I prefer meditating in my bedroom even if the weather is nice and I could sit outside. Outside the weather could change, it might suddenly rain, or get cold, etc. Inside these factors are less likely to distract me. Sometimes when I'm in a noisy environment I also pop in my noise cancelling ear buds (but without any music or added noise), to be less likely distracted by noises.

So in your case, if you know that your room mates are likely making noises, then using preventatively white noise or noise cancelling headphones is just one of these measures you have at your disposal to minimize distractions. So I would think that's perfectly ok.

Regarding the music during the rest phase, I personally would not do that, because very interesting scenery happens sometimes during the rest phase, and then I wouldn't want to risk missing out on that cool scenery because my mind jumps onto that music instead.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello elderberry

There are no absolute answers in regard to this. Early in AYP I felt I needed earplugs to go deeper into DM, where as now I can "go deep" in spite or transient noises in the environment because my mind yields easily to the process and quiets, rather than joining in the distraction. If a white noise machine assists you in going deeper at present then it is fine to use it. In this yogi, as I spiritually matured, an omnipresent white noise has developed in my head in the upper left quadrant of my brain. All I need to do is give it gentle attention as I settle into meditation and follow the mantra. Most other distractions fall away when denied attention.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000