Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Edging vs. Zero Sexual Stimulation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

elderberry

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  01:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For context, I am a 28 year old male with a fairly high sex drive. I currently have a consistent twice daily routine of asanas, SBP, DM and samyama.

I have attempted to integrate Tantra to varying degrees over the last several years, with varying success. As of late, I have found myself drawn to a celibate lifestyle.

I haven?t had an orgasm in about 2 months, and have been completely celibate as well. So that is to say, I?ve had little to no sexual stimulation whatsoever.

What?s interesting is, my sexual energy has been a bit all over the place. For the first few weeks it was unbelievably high. For the last several weeks, it feels significantly lower than it was prior to celibacy. The level of variance in sexual energy is really fascinating, and it has brought up a few questions.

It seems to me that there are effectively two ways to remain pre-orgasmic:

1. No orgasms, and no sexual stimulation
2. No orgasms, while continuing to engage in some form of pre-orgasmic sexual stimulation (either sex or tantric masturbation)

My question is this:
For men who have undertaken a practice of Tantra, did you find more energetic benefit from #1 or #2?

There are a few communities online who follow tantric principles outside the context of yoga (these communities typically to this practice as semen retention). It seems to be the general consensus amongst these communities is that edging (masturbation without orgasm) tends to reduce the overall energetic benefits of semen retention, for most practitioners.

However, in AYP, yogani clearly states that Tantra is both the preservation, as well as cultivation, of sexual energy.

Yogani has made it clear that sexual energy may be cultivated in a variety of ways that isn?t overtly sexual (siddanasa, spinal breathing pranayama, etc)

For a Tantra practitioner that is committed to staying (mostly) pre-orgasmic:
Does the actual act edging/pre orgasmic sex play a significantly helpful role in the process of cultivation? Or should a practitioner expect to achieve similar results by just cutting out all orgasm & sexual stimulation across the board?

Edited by - elderberry on Jul 19 2024 01:19:58 AM

th1996

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  08:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How I understand Yogani, it is dependent by your inner conditions and wishes. The tantra lessons should not be encouraging more sexual activities, only transforming the actual sexual activtities in spiritual ones. So, someone living in celibacy can do the entire journey without sexual stimulation...on the other hand sexual stimulation plays in my own journey an important role. So, maybe u have to define what u mean by a significantly helpful role? if u mean that it can only be done with the sexual stimulation than no...if u mean u can go the way faster, than it depends on some factors. I don?t think that someone who has a tendency to celibacy who would force himself to sexual stimulation would go the way faster. On the other hand, if someone is forcing to celibacy who has tendencies to sexual stimulations would be much faster if the person would be sexual active.

In my own journey it was and is best when I listen to my body...sometimes I live in celibacy and that is fastening my path...and sometimes I am more frequently sexual active and that boost my spiritual journey. So, it is like many things in life the best way is listining to your heart!

Edited by - th1996 on Jul 19 2024 11:56:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4437 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi elderberry,

You have received good advice from th1996 already and I would second that.

There isn't a single "this way is the best way" when it comes to Tantric sexual practices. If people are naturally drawn to celibacy, then that is the best path for them. It is also the easiest path, as it does not come with the difficulties that can arise with attempting to remain pre-orgasmic during sexual activity! If someone is engaged in a sexually active lifestyle and is enjoying that, then forcing celibacy could be harmful. We see this happening in monasteries and nunneries, with all of the news reports of people taking vows and then breaking them.

It also is not either one or the other, for a given individual. There can be stages on the path where someone is naturally drawn to a sexual lifestyle, and other stages where they are naturally drawn to celibacy. If that is happening, then it is good to follow that. Sexual energy is an aspect of the second chakra, and as prana moves up to activate the higher chakras, there can be a lot of bliss, but with little or no sexual desire. That stage can last for quite some time.

It is important to remember that Tantric sexual practices only work to bring about enlightenment when they are practised by someone who has a regular spiritual practice. In other words, the two go hand-in-hand. If someone simply used Tantric sexual practices on their own, it would not lead to enlightenment. So, if people are using Tantric sexual principles such as pre-orgasmic sex, or celibacy, but who do not have a yogic practice, it is not likely to get very far.

Do bear in mind that "edging" is not a Tantric sexual practice. Edging is the practice of repeatedly getting very close to an orgasm and then backing off. With Tantric sexual practice, pre-orgasmic sex involves never even getting close to something that could be called a climax. Edging tends to lead to energy loss over time, whereas constantly remaining well away from orgasm, does not.

So, Tantric sexual practices are an art, and everyone who uses them has to find their own dynamic with them. The preservation of sexual energy happens through either being celibate or through remaining well away from orgasm during sex. The cultivation of sexual energy happens because of the processes that are happening each day during sitting practices on the mat, or cushion. When we practise, the mind is brought to silence and stillness and the energetic channels and energetic centres are purified. This means that when sexual energy is preserved, it now has somewhere to go. It will tend to rise up into the newly purified channels and chakras and also fill the silence and stillness. Eventually this gives rise to full-body ecstasy 24/7 and to ecstatic-bliss. And this ecstatic-bliss will be present both during sexual activity, during sitting practices, and throughout the day. Eventually it becomes a constant inner lovemaking that has little (or nothing) to do with an external partner, and little to do with anything that would normally be called "sex". So, that is where we are heading with all of this.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000