AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 visual overstimulation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I began the AYP practices a few months ago (20 min. meditation in morning and night and have active kundalini. I sit in front of a computer for maybe a hour in total during different times of the day. Just recently though I've felt that after just being on the internet for 15 minutes my eyes and energy in my head has been overly stimulated and I need to rest my eyes and dim the lights after and I feel the overstimulation until I go to sleep that night. I do wear contact lenses and had a retinal detachment in one eye for which I had successful surgery 5 years ago. My senses just feel so heightened lately. Even noises seem louder than normal. I've needed things to be alot quieter and calmer than ever. I find TV also to be too stimulating for me. I do feel like I've found a stable platform in my meditation and have been self-pacing. Is this sensitivity normal? And is there an explanation?
I also want to thank everyone for your helpful responses. I'm so glad I have a place where I can turn for feedback with people who understand what I'm going through. Even though I can talk to a couple people about this stuff, I have still felt so alone in this process! So thank you to everyone for keeping me company on this journey!
Chard

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 31 2007 08:15:43 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chard

Even noises seem louder than normal. I've needed things to be alot quieter and calmer than ever. I find TV also to be too stimulating for me. I do feel like I've found a stable platform in my meditation and have been self-pacing. Is this sensitivity normal? And is there an explanation?

Hi Chard,
I get sensitive to noise when I overdo my practice and definitely when I don't rest after meditation. Soooooooo... are you by any chance sneaking in a bit more than 20 mins? Do you rest enough after meditation? Try lying down for 5 or 10 mins and if possible take a short (power) nap.. helps me a LOT!!!!
Also, maybe add 5 mins of spinal breathing to your routine.. before meditation.. if there is
quote:
"energy in my head has been overly stimulated "..
spinal breathing is good at evening the excess energy out... if required cut down on your meditation time to 15 mins... but do this only if you think it's necessary.

Hope these help..
Thanks for sharing

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 20 2007 7:32:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  12:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard,
Thanks for sharing, and great reply Shanti.

quote:
Just recently though I've felt that after just being on the internet for 15 minutes my eyes and energy in my head has been overly stimulated and I need to rest my eyes and dim the lights after and I feel the overstimulation until I go to sleep that night.

I just thought I'd mention that this happens to me too. It happens any time I use a computer, whether I have been doing practices, or during periods when I haven't done any spiritual practices at all for days.
I believe it is connected with a spiritual yoga practice called Tratak. It is basically the focussing of attention on a single point outside the body with the eyes open. So I guess the same would happen to you if you stared at a wall instead of a computer screen. I believe Tratak stimulates the pituitary and pineal glands, and so activates the ajna and crown chakras.
All I can say is, try to use the computer less if you can, or use the computer way before bedtime. I also find that the big fat monitors are worse than the new flat screens. Someone told me that the fat ones fire photons at you through the glass, like televisions do, but the new flat ones use a low emition something-or-other. (I'm not really a tech head).
Personally I just put up with the overstimulation in the head, but if it got bad (like headaches etc.) I would cut back on the computer stuff.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  1:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  1:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too on the computer stuff. I have to make sure I stop an hour before bed. When I don't, I often have trouble sleeping due to over-stimulation in the head. A solution that works for me is to breath the energy down my spinal nerve to the feet on the first breath and then to breath the energy down my front to the feet on my second breath. I do this for 2 or 5 minutes and seems to do the trick.

Good luck,

A
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  3:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i just wanted to add that perhaps you should try turning down the brightness control on your monitor... almost all monitors come standard with the brightness turned up to the max, this can account for alot of the sensitivity you might be experiencing... virtually every monitor has a few buttons on the front of it that allow this feature and a few others to be adjusted... hope this helps..
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000