Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 All Mudras/Bandhas During All Energy Practices?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elderberry

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2024 :  7:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Much of this post arises from some confusion regarding the Mudra/Bandha chart in lesson 385

From what I understand, the primary mudras/bandhas utilized in the AYP system are:

Mulabandha
Sambhavi Mudra
Siddhasana
Uddiyana/Nauli
Kechari Mudra
jalandhara bandha

My understanding is that, over the course of many years, we aim to engage all 6 of these mudras/bandhas simultaneously during spinal breathing pranayama. However, I am unclear on weather or not to engage some or all of these mudras/bandhas during the other AYP energy practices of chin pump, spinal bastrika, yoni mudra and targeted/crown bastrika.

1. During the energy practices of spinal bastrika, yoni mudra, chin pump, and targeted/crown bastrika, is our ultimate goal to eventually be performing all 6 of these mudras/bandhas simultaneously during these individual energy practices? If not, which mudras/bandhas should be performed and which should be left out during spinal bastrika, yoni mudra and chin pump?

2. The chart in AYP lesson 385 doesn't seem to mention jalandhara bandha which is mentioned in the asanas, mudras and bandhas book of the enlightenment series. Is this an intentional omission? Or am I correct in that we should ideally be aiming to perform jalandhara bandha during SBP (and other energy cultivation practices)?

3. Apart from maha mudra called out in the asanas book of the enlightenment series, which engages siddhasana and kumbhaka during a forward fold, should any other mudras or bandhas be used during asana practices?

4. In the case of meditation, core samyama and cosmic samyama, it is my understanding that you should never intentionally perform mudras/bandhas while performing these 3 techniques. Mudras/bandhas may arise as a product of automatic yoga, but one should not set out to do them. One should just focus on the meditation/samyama at hand. Is this understanding correct?

Edited by - elderberry on Feb 03 2024 7:48:56 PM

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2024 :  10:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Elderberry

1. During yoni mudra, chin pump, and bastrika, I would not be holding any mudras or bandas intentionally, and just give attention to preforming those practices rather than splitting your attention. SBP is the place to employ some or most of them, so they can assist in opening the shushumna for DM.

2. I use jalandhara throughout most of my asana practice as a reminder to extend my exhales, and can be used in SBP. Jalandhara should not interfere with siddhasana or mulabandha, and can be employed entering nauli or YKM (of which it is a component).

3. During asana practices, the only ones that make sense to employ is sambhavi, jalandhara, and mulabandha, along with nauli if you are choosing to hold your breath at the end of an exhale. I usually reserve ketchari for DM, as it is difficult to intentionally breathe and use ketchari without drying out my nasal passages.

4. Ketchari is the only mudra or banda I intentionally use during DM and samyama, although I personally would not use it lying down (cosmic samyama) as, again, it seems to dry out my nasal passages, and distracts from the practice.

These are all my preferences learned from trial and error over the years. I would say if a mudra or bandha distracts from performing a practice (dividing attention) it's best to leave it out. They may be employed in twos or threes, but it is probably a fool's errand to employ all at once.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000