Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spirituality and digital distraction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

what are your thoughts on spirituality and modern technology and its ability to distract the mind? Modern technology is omnipresent, people checking mails, news, social media, messengers and looking at their mobile devices around-the-clock. Do you think this might be counterproductive to spirituality? How are your own experiences regarding these two worlds?

mountainrange

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2023 :  5:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

It can absolutely be a distraction. I have to put my smart phone in another room at 10 PM, otherwise I'm often distracted to check social media, etc, late in the evening, and sometimes night when I can't sleep. But from 10 PM I almost don't use my smartphone nowadays.

But as it is with spirituality, and awakening, sometimes I think that the seemingly negative things is what wakes us up in the end... The suffering we have act as a push into awakening. So, really, I don't think any outer circumstance can prevent us from awakening in the end.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Edited by - mountainrange on Nov 15 2023 6:04:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

mountainrange

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2023 :  3:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an article on the subject of smartphones: https://www.positive.news/society/t...l-ban-began/
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2023 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been wanting to give feedback to this question but have refrained from doing so, as I am not yet clear in my mind on the ins and outs of any form of ?don?ts? . For those who are still in the process of establishing a steady meditation routine, and those who are still not firmly established in inner silence, then I guess, yes, restraints are important. Perhaps, it remains important throughout your journey.
But is it the thing itself that is a problem or the thoughts that will arise from the act (e.g. the matter at hand - spending too much screen time)? The guilt, the ?this is not healthy?, the internal conflict that arise from not obeying the restraint? If obeying will also cause stress - what value is there in that? If putting your phone away will only give rise to restlessness and desire for it, impatience for your allocated time slot of restraint to be over - is that of value? You are still with your phone even if you have put it away. If however after binge watching TV you get up and immediately forget the TV and its dramas - isn?t that more worthwhile? I am trying to point out it is the attachment that we have to let go off. However, I also acknowledge that discipline does contribute to the finding balance in life.

In short - I don?t know.

Go to Top of Page

mountainrange

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2023 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I myself noticed at first when putting away my phone, yes, there was quite slot of strain to want to use it as usual. But not long after, I had gotten used to it and got very relaxed instead, spontaneously meditated for a long time.

Now around that time, I without strain forget about social media and smartphones later in the evening.

But, it might not work for everyone. Everyone have to do what works best for them of course

Interesting topic though
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2023 :  05:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is important for a yogi to find silence throughout the day, in the little pockets of time here and there. Sey is right in that we need also to give attention to the attachment, technology, sex, drugs, anger, whatever it may be. As silence is cultivated, we witness our thoughts and patterns, and examine the jarring ones for lessons. We are the drivers of our fate and our practices purify and clarify, and should make us better along the way. If that is your intention then give it attention. Distraction means you are driven by idle, unchallenged thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2023 :  1:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Modern technology is omnipresent, people checking mails, news, social media, messengers and looking at their mobile devices around-the-clock. Do you think this might be counterproductive to spirituality?

Back to your point, it is my hope spirituality and vast spiritual pursuits helps our species evolve into reconnection and co-existing with one another.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2023 :  6:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Back to your point, it is my hope spirituality and vast spiritual pursuits helps our species evolve into reconnection and co-existing with one another.

That is my hope, too, Dogboy.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Distraction means you are driven by idle, unchallenged thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I am trying to point out it is the attachment that we have to let go off. However, I also acknowledge that discipline does contribute to the finding balance in life.

Balance and awareness is needed. Those were my thoughts, too. Digital distraction might take more of those precious little pockets of time away than might be desirable. It gets difficult for those who unlearned being alone with their thoughts and bearing discomfort and boredom now and then. Taking out ones mobile device can be an automatic reaction for avoiding these.
Go to Top of Page

Mithuna

France
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2023 :  5:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Outside of our DM sessions, we are all immersed in the world. Therefore either we endure the world or we continue to live our yoga on a daily basis, no longer by immersing ourselves in inner silence, Dhyana during DM but by practicing Dharana concentration in our activities, either manual or intellectual, which represents a continuity in our practice, an extension of our Sadhana.
Under these conditions any activity can become a support for our evolution by considering "everyday life as exercise" which weaves continuity between our twice-daily DM sessions and our daily activities.
Digital media is an example for me.
Either I concentrate for a specific purpose, for example researching a book on Pranayama, or writing a text, in which case my PC or my smartphone is an instrument on which my Dharana is applied or on the contrary I am passive and in these conditions "the medium is the message" according to Mac Luhan's expression and I lose myself in the shimmer of Maya. Let's not forget that the goal of social networks, for example, is to make us spend as much time as possible in their universe, seeking to know us better in order to use our "chittas vrittis" and direct them towards their generally financial purpose.
In summary, if we strive to remain focused, digital media remains a tool that does not take the witness "out of the house".
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2023 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is right. For myself, I realize I grab my smartphone much too often just to get distracted. Obviously there are lots of unpleasant emotions I try to turn away from.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000