Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditaing once daily
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I picked up the practice of AYP nearly 2 weeks ago and noticing the effects. I started off the first week with 2 meditations of 20 minutes daily. After the first 1 or 2 meditations I was very tired. Throughout the first week I grew more tired. I did the meditations cross legged on a meditation cusshion and was experiencing some back pain and sleeping leg first.
In the 2nd week I added 5 mins of spinal breathing to my twice daily meditations. I realized that I was taking on to much, some days I had the feeling I was walking around like a zombie ;-)
Now in my 3rd week, I reduced my meditations to once daily, doing spinal breathing 5 mins and deep meditation using the mantra for 15 mins. This works good for me now and doesn't produce me headaches (sometimes I do get a 'heavy' head, but no headaches). I meditate now crosslegged on the bed, with a pillow in against back. This works good for me, during the day I feel fit now.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Zelebe
Wow, you did good with self pacing. It takes people a long time to learn this. Good for you.
Here is something that may help you with the heavy head and feeling like a zombie bit... Do you rest after your meditation? Rest is very important. Just lie down for 5 or 10 mins after your routine each time... and if required you can even fall asleep. Make sure you are active during the day. Also, if possible take walks, that will clear the heaviness in your head.
You are doing very well. Keep it up.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zelebe,

I agree with Shanti, make sure you are resting after practices and at least for 5 minutes. Since I am interested in maximizing my progress, if it were me, I would be more inclined to do two 10 minute meditations per day, separated by at least 6 hours, rather than one 15 or 20 minute meditation.

Again, monitor yourself for the need to self-pace and don't forget to rest.

Best of luck,

A
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem11 and Shanti,
thanks for your replies! Indeed, when I started off I didn't rest well sometimes and started doing other things almost immediately after the practice. Now (since the 3rd week) I rest for at least 5 mins and sometimes more than 10 mins after the meditation. This helps in a smooth transition from meditation to activity. I'm going to try your suggestion Anthem11, of 2 short meditations daily instead of one longer one.
Go to Top of Page

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
after the session normally I do a round of chakra stimulation as resting :P

it works well as resting, at the same time making me feel good.
if you cant cope with it, I think lying down 5 minutes is fine.
maybe you can open your eyes at the last minutes so that you wont become too sleepy when you wake up.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  1:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
after the session normally I do a round of chakra stimulation as resting :P

Hi Nameless,

I would suggest this is indeed stimulating and not resting. It may "feel good" at first, but can certainly lead to excess purification and not feeling so good later on.

As they say, what goes up, must come down...

The AYP practices are plenty powerful (and then some), no need to add in anything else. Big things are happening inside of you even when you aren't aware of it or aren't feeling "things" in the moment.

Rest is just simply that...to rest...

all the best,

A

Go to Top of Page

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ah yeah it is
that is why i said if cant cope just skip it and rest :)
I have done other stuffs that is why I can cope with it.
I am sorta like experimenting stuffs. :)

sometimes after resting I feel sleepy, so I find that keeping my eyes open just before getting up helps me to be more alert
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000