Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 additional method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeanjean82

France
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2022 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Since a few months, i would like to add some additional method to my daily practice of ayp (asana, spinal breath and Deep meditation for 2 years +). According to yogani, i know that it is not necessarily a good idea, however i feel like it is a good thing for my everyday comfort.
I would like to apply the "let it go" method from David Hawkins. Succinctly, you have to focus your attention on the feeling (not thought)and let them to be (acceptance, opening) until these feeling fade. It looks like a self-inquiry method and i feel like that it prevents me from finding myself trapped by mental scenarios.
However i wonder if that method does not go against a true letting-go needed to progress with ayp method and particularly the deep meditation?

Thanks for yout help!

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2022 :  12:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear JJ,
The practice used for learning to let go in AYP is Samyama and after 2 years of AYP, I believe you can safely start Samyama. I would encourage to do that.

Best of luck in your practices

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Jeanjean82

France
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2022 :  10:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello seySorciere,
Yes i think it may be a good Idea to do that before any sort of any self inquiry.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Walter

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2022 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jeanjean and SeySorciere.

I wonder whether it is necessarily a matter of 'either or'? I am a strong believer in: "Know thyself", by all non-conflicting means possible. My understanding is that observing one's mechanical manifestations of thought, emotion and/or physical behaviour, and silently questioning them, is the essence of all spiritual seeking, the means toward recognising the SELF as being distinct from the self, that 'I' (real I) am not my 'body'. But I would welcome correction/qualification or alternative views.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanjean82

France
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2022 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Walter,

Yes, maybe you are right! However i'am very careful when i have to add some additionnal method. Ayp seems to be a proven method and add other method above it may be counter productive even if you have "good feedback". Maybe with more experience, you can adjust or add some additionnal method. I consider the ayp method is like a proven sport program and if you decide to add or do fuzzy activities, there may be no result.

Bye
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2022 :  12:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Walter

Hello Jeanjean and SeySorciere.

I wonder whether it is necessarily a matter of 'either or'? I am a strong believer in: "Know thyself", by all non-conflicting means possible. My understanding is that observing one's mechanical manifestations of thought, emotion and/or physical behaviour, and silently questioning them, is the essence of all spiritual seeking, the means toward recognising the SELF as being distinct from the self, that 'I' (real I) am not my 'body'. But I would welcome correction/qualification or alternative views.

By recommending samyama I was avoiding the uncertainty on whether JJ has sufficient abiding Inner Silence for effective relational self-enquiry and not engage in non-relational self-inquiry (not recommended). Samyama also requires a degree of Inner Silence but not to the same extent as self-inquiry. Samyama will be effective to the degree that Inner Silence is present and will do no harm if very little is present.

Plus, I find samyama has the added advantage of just letting go, why bother "staining" the mind with more questions or emotions? Attention on emotions can be a double-edge sword (imo)

Sey

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000