Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 OCD and Panic Attacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ag_dwh

India
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ag_dwh's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have bought the books "spinal breathing" and " deep meditaion"
I am suffering from severe OCD( obsessive compulsive disorder ), panic attacks and violent thought of hitting others. I get scared after i see knife and also feel like jumping from heights/
I am taking medicine which is helping me slowly , but my doctor has said to do yoga and pranayama.
I have read the left nostril breathing cure OCD.
Can anyone guide that what should i do to come out of this paniful disorder.
Rgds
Ashish

Topic moved for better placement

Edited by - Richard on Jan 12 2007 07:32:47 AM

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  2:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Personally I would recommend Anulom vinom pranayama which involves alternate nostril breathing.Only breathing through one nostril for a large amount of time can bring it's own problems.Anulom vinom is a great way of balancing energies and relaxing yourself which should lessen the effects of panic attacks.Of course you could always start meditation which is the ultimate in self healing.I would also recommend the Divine Sound recorded by my satguru, further info at http://dhyanyogi.omdasji.googlepages.com/home although I hope nobody thinks I am simply spamming here.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

ag_dwh

India
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit ag_dwh's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks riptiz,
How to get the divine sound.I have to buy it or is it free?
Ashihs
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  05:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've suffered tremendously from over active energy in my brain as a youth. From depression to attention disorder to insomnia from being stuck in my thoughts.

It sounds like to me that there is an imabalance of energy in your body that is causing an unpleasant relationship between your consciousness, thoughts, and mind.

Yoga will bring you into the present moment, where thoughts cannot cause you any discomfort. It will also balance out any energy issues.

I'm guessing that you could experience many radical healings within a few months just from steadily practicing yoga every day. Radical healings have been my own experience in this area, which stemmed from consistent practice, most important of all, a genuine desire to love myself and heal.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  07:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on buying two very good books. You might want to think about getting also 'Advanced Yoga Practices: Easy Lessons for Extatic Living.'I feel I have had the greatest benefit so far from this book.

The AYP practice should help your symptoms over time. In case you have a seizure there are other things to try such as EFT (www.emofree.com including a free manual). They claim the method can cure depression very quickly--maybe you can write us your feedback on that if you decide to give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ag_dwh

I think taking specific advice about this over the internet when you are on medication might be a bit dangerous. On the other hand if your doctor has specified pranayama then he/she should be monitoring the effects.
What kyman says about coming into the present moment is very valuable. The AYP practices are a very powerful way of promoting and assisting this but one takes responsibility for monitoring one's own progress, so that is something to bear in mind.

In the West there has been great progress using Mindfulness Techniques to take people off medication from depression etc.. This has been driven mainly by the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn, so that might be worth a look also.

Louis

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  11:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ag,

There are two people in my life who have used daily AYP meditation with just a few minutes of spinal breathing to help themselves overcome similar challenges like your own. Go slowly, maintain a consistant daily routine and remember to rest and "self-pace" when necessary. 10 minutes of yoga postures and stretches before-hand could be helpful to you as well.

Best of luck!

A
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ag,
The Divine Sound is available from guruji's ashram or by post from http://cdbaby.com/cd/omdasji
I can tell you that as good as the EFT on www.emofree is, it should not be used for epilepsy without certain precautions which are recorded in the archives of the web site.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to say, welcome to the forum, Ashihs:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 12 2007 4:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

ag_dwh

India
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  01:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ag_dwh's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You mean to say that it is as good as EFT
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi Ag,
The Divine Sound is available from guruji's ashram or by post from http://cdbaby.com/cd/omdasji
I can tell you that as good as the EFT on www.emofree is, it should not be used for epilepsy without certain precautions which are recorded in the archives of the web site.
L&L
Dave

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ag,
In my experience EFT will work quickly and efficiently on most illnesses/issues and much quicker than meditation.You can also isolate individual issues or illnesses and there are techniques to reduce the anguish that can be caused by releasing trauma too quickly by other methods such as Reiki.However also in my experience meditation will give greater purification and therefore greater release than other methods.EFT is very quick normally whereas meditation is usually a longer process.Bear in mind that meditation is designed to purify the whole self as part of the path to enlightenement and the health benefits are considered a side effect just as the experiences are.I have found that some therapies become redundant once your levels of purification rise above the levels affected by the therapies.In other words some therapies will work on you but after a length of time meditating they will become less effective.I do not believe that methods other than meditation will give the required purification required for enlightenment but they can be a boost to your progress.I also beleive your conditions are treatable by EFT but you may need to see a professional EFT therapist for best results.EFT does work very well so you might want to try it.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Vicki

Ireland
20 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vicki's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ashish,

I don't know if it is available to you, but a good treatment for this problem is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which would work well alongside your medication and yoga. CBT is effective in the treatment of panic attacks and OCD. Once you have these under control, it may be useful to try psychotherapy which works at a deeper level. As OCD and panic attacks are such painful disorders, it is understandable that you want to release yourself of them. I think it is important to look at all aspects of treatment, on all levels. Each has their place.

V
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ashish,

Just one thought. You said you bought the Deep Meditation book but didn't describe your meditation practice. I'm hoping that if you are practicing pranayama as your doctor suggested, that you ALWAYS follow that up with a period of deep meditation. And then after that, resting a few minutes, perhaps even lying down for a short bit before resuming your activities.

Blessings to you,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Aouppysval

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  5:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aouppysval's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

I've suffered tremendously from over active energy in my brain as a youth. From depression to attention disorder to insomnia from being stuck in my thoughts.

It sounds like to me that there is an imabalance of energy in your body that is causing an unpleasant relationship between your consciousness, thoughts, and mind.

Yoga will bring you into the present moment, where thoughts cannot cause you any discomfort. It will also balance out any energy issues.

I'm guessing that you could experience many radical healings within a few months just from steadily practicing yoga every day. Radical healings have been my own experience in this area, which stemmed from consistent practice, most important of all, a genuine desire to love myself and heal.

I just loved this reply. It is so spot-on, and probably most of what the OP needs is in there... I know this is old, but I'd still like to chip-in: I've found some helpful stuff here: http://howtocureocd.com/, but aside from that, I could tell you a bit about my own experience: my own OCD does not involve hitting others, but a "violence" towards my own body that turns into pain at times! I had this weird stuff since I was a boy; I need to replace one pressure spot in my body with another from my other hemi-body (my doctor says it's normal, everyone has it and it just is the need to get energies from one side of the body to the other after long periods of the body being in a fixed position, but I am not so sure...) I've found some help in deep breathing, as well as sports and physical activity in general, but especially in following JESUS the CHRIST... he's been a sure help in my times of need, and tho the OP may not read this (again, too old) I hope he is helped by the God Most High above all things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000