Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Hair loss
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  3:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
Aghh!! After having my second son I've noticed that I have less hair than I used to have. It's not a major problem but my hair is so thin so I notice it more. I also know that there's been a lot of stress lately for me with relocating etc so I feel very physically depleted which I think plays into it. My Prakruti is Vata (big time!) and whenever there's an imbalance for me it's always Vata related. So I know I need to incorporate more Vata pacifying things into my routine. Plus my skin so dry... I'll make my way into a naturapath once I settle in to our new place of living but in the mean time, any suggestions? I need to reorder my omega...I think I just need some good vitamins in the mean time though. Any suggestions?
C
Ps. While I'm at it, any sunscreen suggestions? My skin burns easily and where I am moving is quite sunny. Thx!

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  7:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Get your thyroid checked. That's my best advice. I'd go standard medical on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  03:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi chard,

I had the same in my time of stress, awakening and dropping all masks. I lost weight, my hair was already thin and at least half of it fell out. I also had a rapid heartbeat, not much appetite. Physically and mentally I was exhausted.

Good advice of lalow, I did get my thyroid checked, it was ok. I took advice about vitamins and supplements for my hair and the rest of this stressed body. It was for me also the time in which I started with yoga and went true many changes in life.

Anyway after months I saw the results of a healthier life and my hair came growing back thicker than it ever was. It still is thick and healthy now, more than 12 years later.

Love to you,

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  2:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard

Have you noticed the omega oils having a positive effect on you? If they do, I would take them, otherwise be aware that too much polyunsaturated fat can actually make the skin dryer. I had this problem some years ago. I myself found it hard to believe it at the time, but my skin rebalanced after I drastically reduced unsaturated fat in my diet. For a few months I excluded omegas altogether. I have relaxed the ban since, but to this day my omega intake is low. I only get omegas from my diet. I would not touch fish oil supplements. I have not missed them. My skin stayed nicely balanced ever since I shifted to more saturated fats and my hair is just fine.

Have you ever tried olive oil as a hair conditioner? Just before you wash your hair, you can dab a small amount of olive at the roots using your fingertips, spread the oil really thinly around the scalp and hair and leave it there for about 10 minutes, then shampoo and wash as normal.

All the best to you.

@Charliedog
You had a rough time of it. Good to know that the story has a very happy ending.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  02:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Blue

I don't have good experiences with fish oil supplements too. They give me acid reflux immediately.

Self-massage with a good herbal or ayurvedic oil can help you with dry skin and also when the skin is not dry it will do you good.

Make time, warm the oil, massage yourself. Wrap yourself in old comfy clothes, meditate, do asana have breakfast and after a long time take the shower. The smell of the ayurvedic oil will open up your senses.

Also possible in the evening in case of a family with young children and busy morning schedules.

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 13 2017 02:34:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  3:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Great feedback! Lalow33, I've never had thyroid issues before when I've had it checked but it's been awhile since I've checked so i shall do that...
Charliedog, yes I've been very mentally and physically exhausted these days and it's been like a second awakening. I remember how mentally and physically exhausted I was when my K awakened a decade ago. I equate the exhaustion to first trimester pregnancy! Also, good suggestion re massage oils. For yrs I've done abyanga with Sarada's Vata oil plus sesame oil which that too I need to be doing again! I do it religiously in Autumn and it's slipped my mind to do in the chaos of everything! I shall recontinue-Thank you for reminder!

Hi Blue, I take these omega which I really like. https://oakstreetvitamins.com/produ...-epa-dha-720
A naturapath recommended them yrs ago and they work really well for my body. So I share reorder. I shall try the olive oil on scalp as well which I've never done!
Thank u all for suggestions and reminders!! I needed to hear that!

Any thoughts on using Biotin as a supplement?
Thx!

Edited by - Chard on Aug 13 2017 4:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  10:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
A few tips... In my experience, the absolutely most helpful lifestyle advice for balancing Vata dosha is extremely regular meals, especially breakfast. Until the last few years I was doing the Vata thing - eat whenever I felt like it, and rarely breakfast. Often several days barely eating at all b/c it wasn't high priority. Doesn't work for Vatas; this irregularity can result in severe imbalance and thereby ruin agni (but so simple to reverse). Vatas usually need a great deal more routine in their lives, especially regular meals. As we Vatas tend to burn the candle at both ends, the next most essential advice is to ensure a regular sleep pattern, especially to bed before 11, preferably before 10pm, a full 8 hours being best. This applies to all Vatas and most Vata/Pittas and Vata/Kaphas. Like many Vatas, I love to speed around and go fast, used to be a coffee addict. Now everything moderate is more appreciated and coffee is completely avoided. The third tip is to rest frequently throughout the day and try to slow way down if you notice you're getting ahead of yourself. Fourth, Vatas need more grounding than the other doshas, but this grounding should be more slow and relaxed, as opposed to strenuous and intense.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  3:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Parvati, You nailed it! All great suggestions and reminders. I'm actually quite disciplined about eating regular meals, starting with hearty breakfast and I've never been coffee drinker and I don't drink alcohol. I think summer with kids and transition of moving has totally thrown my sleep habits - we've all been going to bed late. So when we settle in that's something to focus back on.

I send my children to a Waldorf school and what I love about Waldorf education is emphasis on rhythm and routine for young children both at school and home. So that'll be a nice grounding influence for us all.

Grounding for me always needed and it's nice to surround myself with really grounded people as well as I do tend to overexert.

Thanks so much Parvati!!
Go to Top of Page

arjunsharda

India
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  06:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit arjunsharda's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
This is good.

you can also give a try on following procedure:

Boil the neem leaves in water for 15 minutes and then set it aside to cool.
Once the solution is cool, strain the liquid.
Collect the neem infused water in a jug and set it aside.
Wash and condition your hair and pour the neem infused water through it as a final rinse
Do not rinse your hair any further
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000